PDA

View Full Version : 02 400EX...what should I do to it?

02CR500Rex
07-17-2007, 08:48 PM
Hey guys, I recently bought a 92 Eagle Talon for $400...a guy offered to trade me an 02 400EX w/ white brothers slip-on rear section, dura-blue axles, renthal bars, DG alloy bumper and nerf bars, for the car. I had to throw some subs and amps in it. Well, I put $350 worth of system into it and traded even up.

The next day, my buddy noticed 2 motorcycles sitting at the neighbors house for sale. An early 80's Yamaha 175 and a 1984 Honda CR500R rebuilt, bored .080, boysen reeds, bigger cam, etc... for $300 for both.

The CR500R is WICKED...way too much power for 2 wheels...

The 400EX is pretty powerful...I'm pretty satisfied, but it smokes...it's going to need rings before too long. Anyway, I'm a power addict..

I've looked up some articles online about the CR500R swap...other than the motor mounts and the motorcycle engine not being counter-balanced, looks like a good candidate, but probably more of a PITA than anything else.

I've also been looking on eBay for performance parts and saw the 440 big bore kit for $329 shipped....says it comes with a 440 sleeve, Wiseco 11:1 piston, rings, wrist pin, top end gasket kit, Magnum rev box, and Magnum stage 2 cam. Doesn't sound too bad, but I haven't checked around to see how much the machine work is going to cost.

I guess the old saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it might actually be what I need to go by here...the bike still runs great, it just smokes.

Oh, I made a custom cold air intake for it today...kinda. It had an old abused K&N filter on it...it was soaked and sucked in...so I took a cheap eBay filter I had laying around and made an adapter out of a 3" stove vent...haha redneck as hell, but it looks good and it actually gave the bike a LOT more power.

Anyway, what would you guys recommend for a cheap, quick horsepower gain I could feel. Like, I just want more power...and as much as I can get for a reasonable price...maybe around $750 or under for now.

I haven't owned an ATV or motorcycle in like 5 years or so, but I owned an 86 250R one time and it just seemed so fast...of course I was only 12 then, but. I dunno...I'm not a newbie, but it's been a while. First race bike I've owned in 13 years. But, I would appreciate any advice.

Paul

CRich[814]
07-17-2007, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by 02CR500Rex
Hey guys, I recently bought a 92 Eagle Talon for $400...a guy offered to trade me an 02 400EX w/ white brothers slip-on rear section, dura-blue axles, renthal bars, DG alloy bumper and nerf bars, for the car. I had to throw some subs and amps in it. Well, I put $350 worth of system into it and traded even up.

sweet deal.

The next day, my buddy noticed 2 motorcycles sitting at the neighbors house for sale. An early 80's Yamaha 175 and a 1984 Honda CR500R rebuilt, bored .080, boysen reeds, bigger cam, etc... for $300 for both.

CR500 is a two stroke. two strokes don't have cam's. but thats a amazing deal.

The 400EX is pretty powerful...I'm pretty satisfied, but it smokes...it's going to need rings before too long. Anyway, I'm a power addict..

you might get away with just rings.

I guess the old saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it might actually be what I need to go by here...the bike still runs great, it just smokes.

this might sound dumb, but hows your jetting?

Oh, I made a custom cold air intake for it today...kinda. It had an old abused K&N filter on it...it was soaked and sucked in...so I took a cheap eBay filter I had laying around and made an adapter out of a 3" stove vent...haha redneck as hell, but it looks good and it actually gave the bike a LOT more power.

wow. i'd like to see some pics.

Anyway, what would you guys recommend for a cheap, quick horsepower gain I could feel. Like, I just want more power...and as much as I can get for a reasonable price...maybe around $750 or under for now.

probably the 440 kit of some kind.

I haven't owned an ATV or motorcycle in like 5 years or so, but I owned an 86 250R one time and it just seemed so fast...of course I was only 12 then, but. I dunno...I'm not a newbie, but it's been a while. First race bike I've owned in 13 years. But, I would appreciate any advice.

a 250R at 12? thats alot of motor haha. have fun with your new wheeler.

02CR500Rex
07-17-2007, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by CRich[814]
sweet deal.

Yeah I was 100% satisfied...I recently tried to trade a 95 S-10 4.3 4x4 5 spd hit light in the front for an 02EX with quite a few mods...they were only asking $2,200 obo, so I figured they'd trade. Nope. A guy made the offer to trade me the bike for the car, so I jumped on it, no hesitation lol I mean, the front fenders have been shaved, the rear fender has some stitches in it...it's not a show bike by any means. It's not COMPLETELY ragged out, but it's been ridden. Needs a set of tires...ya know. I still feel that for $750 and it runs they way it does (and doesn't look BAD by any means) it was worth it.

CR500 is a two stroke. two strokes don't have cam's. but thats a amazing deal.

ah alright...I have no clue about small engines...just a basic idea...pretty good with auto mechanics, but. Anyway, the neighbor was working out of town when I bought the bikes...his wife said she picked up the cam for it...but she was prolly just confused lol

you might get away with just rings.

I might go this route, but I'd hate to have the engine apart and not do anything to gain power lol in a way...I dunno yet

this might sound dumb, but hows your jetting?

I have NO clue...the guy who traded it to me got it with all the mods...I'm pretty sure he didn't do anything aftermarket to it, but somebody did, so they hay have jetted it? Is there a way I can tell? numbers on the jet or something?

wow. i'd like to see some pics.

I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them...nothing too extravagant, but it does look pretty good. The top of the air box was missing when I got the bike, but I don't think it would clear if it were there? I'll still post the pics though...and some pics of the EX and the 500R

probably the 440 kit of some kind.

is $329 a good deal for the kit off eBay? Sounded like a pretty good deal considering the HP gain.

a 250R at 12? thats alot of motor haha. have fun with your new wheeler.

haha yeah my dad bought it for me for $500 from...well from a neighbor lol It didn't run at the time, so he had one of his buddies rebuilt the top end i think...he had no idea about the bike...this was in like...93 or something., but after a couple weeks he actually took a ride on it..next thing I know it had a 200 Big Red engine on it... with high and low range lol just wasn't right

ride-to-live
07-18-2007, 12:18 AM
Go with the 440ex kit and stuff. The two stroke cr500r engine is 2 stroke and will not last as long as the 440. Plus you will not annoy as many people with a 4 stroke... also dont have to worry about flowing a piston or over heating the motor on a 440 if you take care of it.

gncc025
07-18-2007, 06:21 AM
turn it into a nice hybrid. maybe a crf450

billyboy
07-18-2007, 07:11 AM
Put a new piston and sleeve in it. Add some bolt ons and be happy with a very dependable bike.

TWISTED DINLI
07-18-2007, 07:35 AM
i would do a YZ450F conversion.

gcart2
07-18-2007, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by billyboy
Put a new piston and sleeve in it. Add some bolt ons and be happy with a very dependable bike.
x2. this way it doesnt turn into a money pit aand u can stil ridse it haveing fun whenever u want....
PS: will save a fortune in maintenance

DVXracer
07-18-2007, 09:32 AM
make a hybrid :macho

XXXRACER165
07-18-2007, 11:05 AM
Make that 400EX into a 450 rooster! People will be like Gumby when you drive by, (heads will stretch off their bodies and be like Whoooaaaa!):eek2: :D

ride-to-live
07-18-2007, 09:02 PM
Make that 400EX into a 450 rooster! People will be like Gumby when you drive by, (heads will stretch off their bodies and be like Whoooaaaa!)

Lol hell YES! Thats the way to go lol.. make something where people will go wwwwwwwwoooooowwwwww!!!