PDA

View Full Version : 70 cc build ?

kenjolly
07-17-2007, 07:59 PM
Im building a 07 drx 70cc and these are some of the parts im thinking of using on it, what do you think. please make any suggestions or ideas you have. 70 production cvt class

dc a-arms and swing arm and elka long travel suspension
honda style carrier
XFR nerf bars
wheels ? still thinking aluminun or carbon beadloc
metrakit head,cylinder and pro pipe
28mm keahin
pvl ignition

I hope to start ordering parts this week.

Thanks to Gary Fallon for future parts and support

bulldogfallon
07-17-2007, 08:05 PM
Your PWK 28 carb is on it's way Ken....

You have to use the DRR Aluminum wheels if you want to stay in the DRR Nation :) :)

Dusty will have a set on Thursday.....

kenjolly
07-17-2007, 08:26 PM
Next time i better read the fine print on my drr contract. i didnt see that about the rims. see ya soon gary

wrhracing
07-18-2007, 04:39 AM
You left out clutching.;)

jetmedic
07-18-2007, 04:47 AM
Ken, You will be so pleased.

kenjolly
07-18-2007, 04:57 AM
What does everyone think about the metrakit exhaust,is their a better one.

also,what abour rear axle's,i here some people talking about cart axle's. I was thinking stock or durablue do to he will be 7yr old in Aug.

Andyman17dad
07-18-2007, 06:00 AM
Durablue

Make sure you gusset the frame all up good before you get going too far.

bushing in the tranny (now that you will hae all this extra power)

Full circle crank

Foot brake

Spider Grips ( ;) )

Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things, your gonna be amazed at what this will turn out like. :D

rookiewrench
07-18-2007, 08:10 AM
A friend runs the metrakit cyl. and pipe and has had great results with it. I beleive 13+ hp with a 20mm carb. He pulls a 4-6 bike holeshot on everyone at the nationals. All I can say is it is a great combo.

hotquads1
07-18-2007, 08:13 AM
This 70 cvt class is gonna be rockin next year ! we just got orders for 2 full blown national ready drx 70 's and we are building one for our rider also . Ken it looks like your on the right track, one other item you might want to condsider is an upgraded radiator, we put them in our national builds . Too much money in these motors to overheat and risk damage. this drr contingency money is stirring some people up ! good luck
marc

Full Throttle00
07-23-2007, 12:22 AM
Metrakit over Malossi? I have been told Malossi was the stuff...
Don't know anything about the Metrakit
Been running Malossi MHR air kit for 6 mos and now something better I hear??? Wouldn't the water cooled create more drag on the crankshaft? & which crankshaft is best?
Let me know, cause my son is ready for somethin' faster...
:devil:

kenjolly
07-23-2007, 05:15 AM
Marc, how much fab work to make a larger radiator work in the drx . what do you think about the malossi or metrakit. im thinking about going all metrakit head,cyclinder and pr pipe.

jetmedic
07-23-2007, 07:10 AM
Ken stop thinking it will only get you in trouble. get the metrakit cyl and pipe period.

hotquads1
07-23-2007, 07:15 AM
while you have the bike down for gusseting its easy to to add mounts for larger radiator at this time . And you may want to fabricate a brkt for the pro pipe at this time . Ken this is my opinion, I think metrakit takes out some guess work if you use all their stuff , Mallosi can make very good power also but you have to match porting and pipe to get best results. Metrakit is a designed to make power at the high end of the RPM range which may not be as useful to younger drivers , Mallossi can make better power in the low and mid range which is easier and better performing for younger drivers. do you think your driver would spend more time in the 10,000- 12,000 rpm range or the 7,000- 10,000 range, you must make you power where your driver is most likely to benefit from it . I'm sure opinions vary greatly on this subject.
Marc

Full Throttle00
07-23-2007, 09:47 AM
Metrakit is a designed to make power at the high end of the RPM range which may not be as useful to younger drivers , Mallossi can make better power in the low and mid range which is easier and better performing for younger drivers. do you think your driver would spend more time in the 10,000- 12,000 rpm range or the 7,000- 10,000 range, you must make you power where your driver is most likely to benefit from it . I'm sure opinions vary greatly on this subject.
Marc [/B][/QUOTE]

I was told the opposite from Oz, the Metrakit is set up for more low end torque.

Sure would be nice for those that market their product to show dyno results on all different setups on these 70cc kits such as
Stock Watercooled, Malossi, Metrakit, Hetrick, WRH, and others I am not aware of.
I feel it would take a lot of the guessing game out of the equation for us lab rats to narrow down what is the best.

hotquads1
07-23-2007, 10:58 AM
I think if you question ozzy about where his kit makes the most power (peak), rpm? it will be well north of 10,000. My experience with the two stroke engine has brought me to this conclusion, great power can only be made in a small range of 2000-3000-rpm,
thus the term power band. this power band can be moved up and down the range of rpm's with a variety of changes in porting and pipe. I believe you can make a two stroke pull hard from 5000 thru 7000, or 7000 thru 9000, or 9000 thru 12000 rpm etc. ,but i am suspicious of people claiming they can make peak power from 5000 thru 12000 rpm with the same set-up. as you broaden or expand the power band you tend to soften the peak power. let me clarify that i dont think metrakits makes these sorta claims and they do have a good product , unless they have made some very recent changes i think he will give you a number well up in rpm range.
marc

rookiewrench
07-23-2007, 11:02 AM
I will try to get ahold of I-Zapp and see if he will post the results of his dyno tests from the metrakit with the hetricks pipe and the pro (metrakit)pipe. He also has results from Molossi MHR cylinders and the ak47 cylinder and the airsol cylinders.

I beleive the metrakit cyl. made most of the power around 12000-13000 rpm with the pro pipe. That setup is quicker than my sons cobra. (no sly remarks about the cobra )

You do need to custom make a bracker to hold the metrakit pro pipe. I also think that you need to cut down the silencer or it wll stick out the back of the quad around 4". It runs under the seat , below the grab bar.

good luck

i-zapp
07-26-2007, 10:50 AM
ok... i suppose the cat's out of the bag.
if you can afford this kit, it's definitely very fast.

the comparison below is between a Hetrick pipe / Malossi cyl (blue), Metrakit cyl / Hetrick pipe (red), and Metrakit pipe and cyl (black). each setup was clutch optimized. identical ign timing and carburetion was used for each.

these are REAR WHEEL inertia only dyno pulls (very repeatable) and representative of 3-5 identical back to back pulls. the upper lines are rpm, the lower ones hp.

also, pics of install are at - http://i-zapp.com/metrakit

http://www.i-zapp.com/miniquad/metrakit.gif

hotquads1
07-26-2007, 11:51 AM
thanks for the info izapp, i think this will make it easier for prospective builders to see where power is made . this illistrates if you are looking for low end power you might want to condsider other options than metrakit but if 10,000 + rpm fits your driver than metrakit is your choice.
marc

kenjolly
07-26-2007, 01:27 PM
Which metrakit pipe did you use for the test.

ecmini1
07-26-2007, 02:35 PM
2 strokes are made to rev and like hotquad said has a narrow range to make peak horse pwr. The issue is can you hold the machine in the rpm range on the track your racing. The model I-zapp put up (btw thanks for the data) would be great on a large track where you can run high rpms, If your running a track with tight corners and is short you might never see the power range needed. The same set up for 1 is not the same for some else. This is why top eng builders ask a ton of question to build and port your eng. for your type of racing.

I-zapp great info.

bulldogfallon
07-26-2007, 02:47 PM
Would the Metrakit SP pipe make power in a lower RPM range?

If I remember correctly that is what Ozzy told me.....That the pro pipe is more for top end TT type racing, so the RPM of the powerband would be much higher(as the graph seems to show)

What Metrakit pipe was used on this test?

rookiewrench
07-26-2007, 02:53 PM
The pipe that I-Zapp uses is the pro pipe that metrakit offers , I beleive that it cost is about $450 +/-. I don't think that track size should make to much of a difference with the cvt transmission which is designed to keep the bike in the peak rpms. I have not noticed much of a difference on his sons quad even on a short track. I beleive that you can control that with gearing if need be but that is just my opinion.

Thanks for coming thru George with the data..

drr5
07-26-2007, 05:47 PM
this motor combo is very strong all over , but you do have to put in some time to tune it to what you want just spent two hours the other night getting one to perform as i have seen in the past, my opinion , best bang for the buck, good quality parts and makes these bikes rippp.

i-zapp
07-26-2007, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by ecmini1
...The issue is can you hold the machine in the rpm range on the track your racing...This is why top eng builders ask a ton of question to build and port your eng. for your type of racing.
can he "hold the machine in the rpm range"? piece of cake on a cvt - just hold the throttle WFO. the real questions are (in this order) how fast can your rider actually ride without going over his head, how much power do you want, and how much are you willing to pay. and yes, RR was correct - it was a Pro pipe.

rookiewrench
07-26-2007, 08:14 PM
I have yet to see anyones quad that has the metrakit have the power that I-zapps has, he has a lot of time into that motor. All I know is I am looking forward to seeing his son run at Lorettas with some suspension under him. Go Zack.

Now if we can get Logans #34's dad to take him to lorettas instead of a wrestling camp. Rocky where are you priorities. lol

Logan #34's Dad
07-26-2007, 08:25 PM
Hey Rookie and I-zapp, I was planning on this being a secret for as long as possible! :blah: Oh well I guess we'll have to depend on the rider now. I'm in trouble! LOL. Logan is begging to skip the wrestling camp and go racing! ME TOO.

jetmedic
07-26-2007, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the info I-zapp. I have this setup. It absolutely rips.

wrhracing
07-26-2007, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Full Throttle00

Marc

I was told the opposite from Oz, the Metrakit is set up for more low end torque.

Sure would be nice for those that market their product to show dyno results on all different setups on these 70cc kits such as
Stock Watercooled, Malossi, Metrakit, Hetrick, WRH, and others I am not aware of.
I feel it would take a lot of the guessing game out of the equation for us lab rats to narrow down what is the best. [/B][/QUOTE]

11000 is low RPM Torque, especially for a 70.

07-27-2007, 08:25 PM
YOU Bill are right, and Mr I zapp I have seen one of these "shot out style tests from you before a few years back and it was just has flawed as this one. glad to see nothing has changed.

Doing my best to help--

Nichols Atvs
07-27-2007, 08:42 PM
So what was flawed the test or the who said what said Now im confused . I was thinking about going metrakit but now really wondering . whos got the correct answer here . :confused:

dblacks
07-28-2007, 01:36 AM
from what I have seen, Metrekit fast for a kid that doesnt let off the love flipper, Metrekit not as fast for a kid that lets of the love flipper

riding4fun
07-28-2007, 06:00 AM
I was also thinking Metrakit. But after reading this post I would say a better way to go for (my) kid would be Malossi or similar set up.

Great info thanks.

Full Throttle00
07-28-2007, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by ......720
YOU Bill are right, and Mr I zapp I have seen one of these "shot out style tests from you before a few years back and it was just has flawed as this one. glad to see nothing has changed.

Doing my best to help--

Help?? I do not know who this Mr. I zapp or anyone in this forum for that matter is but if someone has something has better evidence that this stuff is junk, quit serving the cheap beer and bring out the good stuff.

Does anyone have tests that back anything up?

wrhracing
07-29-2007, 04:51 AM
When you start paying for something other then Cheap Beer,
then you'll get something other than cheap beer.
This forum is for free. So do with the "Free" information what you will.
I'm not on here squabbling about who can save ten dollars on a PVL. Buy it from here or there. I don't care .
What you are seeing in the graph is last years technology. The malossi cylinder, is an old air cooled, unchanged for the past 4-5 years model.
Are there better things out there ? Yes. Can a malossi out perform a Metrakit? Yes. Vice versa? Yes.
I am going to tell all the shop owners in the United states the very best way to build horsepower in a 70cc engine? No never mind.. I don't have graphs.
If all you had to do was bolt on a cylinder kit it would be simple .
When you want the best, you either have to do it yourself or hire it done by the best.
And where does this get me? No where. Just like telling I Zapp to run the Metrakit stuff last December. I saw it at MAXRPM the previous July. It had already been run a whole season prior to that.
Been there and done that.

markvette
07-29-2007, 09:54 AM
welcome back John, long time no see.

Mark

markvette
07-29-2007, 11:56 AM
as afar as not knowing who is who on here. for the newer people to this sport. wrh and 720 are the 2 best mini engine builders in the country. nothing new to these guys, probably responsible for most of what is being run today. as far as the metrakist i was with billy holt last july when we were introduced to this cylinder and put a degree wheel on it. not bashing or trying to start any crap but when, wrh, 720, brad simms or justin hall tell you something i would listen very closely. these guys all have been around a while and are pretty much responsible for mini quad engine performance being where it is at today. i myself would like to say it has been a pleasure knowing these 4 guys a few years now and have learned a whole lot from each one of them.

Mark

wvspeedfreak
07-29-2007, 05:22 PM
I am just glad we have guys like Billy,Mark,Brad and others on here to help out.I know I have picked most of your brains about something at one time or the other :D

i-zapp
07-29-2007, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by ......720
Doing my best to help--
hey jon, how ya been?!! we missed ya! :eek2: didnt you get banned from this forum?

jetmedic
07-30-2007, 05:11 AM
Whatever, why is metrakit getting everyones underwhere up in the bunch? why because its super fast.

hotquads1
07-30-2007, 08:48 AM
c'mon guys , this post has gone from an informative pool of ideas to a bickering bunch of egos attempting to bench race and bash others . If you feel the need to convince others you know more than they do, then apply it to your quad and go to the track and show em what you got , that will say much more than words! THOSE WHO CAN, DO ! I know I am not as smart as you guys are but I did stay at a holiday inn express last night .
check your ego at the door and lets keep the forums fun !
marc

dirttrack86
07-30-2007, 02:55 PM
Good words HotQuad ! I need you guys to keep talking to each other, I'm getting faster and faster. LOL :)

kenjolly
07-30-2007, 05:30 PM
I can only speak for myself,but i am allways asking your advice and as you as dealers know i have bought parts from most of you.nobody sells everything or knows everything. This forum has help my son and myself in more ways than i can ever express,but let me try.

Thank you to all for your time and experiance.
Gary
Marc
Billy
ecmin1
and all the others like me that are just trying to help and lern.

PS my wife found out how much i have been spending and has put a hold on my spending until all my orders come in and she sees how bad it really is.

Thanks again,Ken and Hayden Jlly

drr5
07-30-2007, 07:53 PM
dang ken , momma put your credit card in time out for rough behavor ,lol been there still doin,it

wrhracing
07-30-2007, 08:56 PM
It feels good to be catagorized, but if anyone is truly interested check the results. They say the first moto was won by over 45 seconds,and the second moto by over a minute this weekend in the 90 class at the Nationals.
Lorretas will be extremely good racing for the top 5 in the 90 class . It should be poetry in motion.
Ken, I'm sorry for hi jacking your thread.

kenjolly
07-31-2007, 05:34 AM
Some how:D she didnt know how much it cost to build a national quad, now she does. i will be doing honey doooooooooos for awhile to make this one up to her.

And Billy no problem,going to have to put that pipe on hold.

drr5
07-31-2007, 08:19 AM
well ken we should be able to get by on few mc donalds straws and duct tape till ya get the green light from moma:D just kiddin