PDA

View Full Version : What difference will it make?

Lowcountrydave
07-17-2007, 05:25 PM
06 400 EX

What will I notice if I adjust the rear spring tighter? I know ride height. Will it effect my jumping? Launch me a little higher with the preload stiffer? I want to raise the rear a little more, when I sit on it, it drops a good bit. I weigh 225 and it handles the trails and jumps pretty good. I was thinking of going to the next setting on the front stockers also. To see if it improves the landings.

Thanks for any insite, down the road I want to upgrade the suspension and add nerfs, etc.

Dave

casey_lamm
07-17-2007, 05:37 PM
I have my 07 on stock settings and my landings seem pretty rough. I think I need to adjust mine to compress easier... what do you get on landing.

It almost seems like my front wants to bounce.

Originally posted by Lowcountrydave
06 400 EX

What will I notice if I adjust the rear spring tighter? I know ride height. Will it effect my jumping? Launch me a little higher with the preload stiffer? I want to raise the rear a little more, when I sit on it, it drops a good bit. I weigh 225 and it handles the trails and jumps pretty good. I was thinking of going to the next setting on the front stockers also. To see if it improves the landings.

Thanks for any insite, down the road I want to upgrade the suspension and add nerfs, etc.

Dave

Lowcountrydave
07-17-2007, 05:46 PM
Depends if I hit a big jump where the landing is the same height as take off, I have actually bottomed the chasis once. Tables are no trouble landings are fairly soft and soak up most of the impact. What setting are your front shocks on and what do you weigh?

casey_lamm
07-17-2007, 06:30 PM
stock settings 180lbs.

Depends if I hit a big jump where the landing is the same height as take off, I have actually bottomed the chasis once. Tables are no trouble landings are fairly soft and soak up most of the impact. What setting are your front shocks on and what do you weigh?

Lowcountrydave
07-17-2007, 07:19 PM
lol

What is considered "stock settings" When I picked up my 06 the front was set on the 2 setting. 1 is the softest and 5 the stiffest. I then bought a set pulled off a new 06 that was having a suspension upgrade and they were set to 4 which was way to stiff. You might run yours on the 1 setting, with the spring at its longest and softest.

Dave

casey_lamm
07-17-2007, 07:21 PM
I might try it.

lol

What is considered "stock settings" When I picked up my 06 the front was set on the 2 setting being. 1 is the softest and 5 the stiffest. I then bought a set pulled off a new 06 that was having a suspension upgrade and they were set to 4 which was way to stiff. You might run yours on the 1 setting, with the spring at its longest and softest.

Dave

07-17-2007, 10:37 PM
My brothers right out of he Honda dealer brand new was on 4! Thats stiff for brand new shocks. When I bought mine it was on 1 or 2 and I had to put it on 3 because I bottomed out on everything on 1 or 2. My brothers shocks over the years of getting beat on from where we ride and how we ride he has them set to 5 and they are softer than mine on 3! They wear out after a while.

casey_lamm
07-18-2007, 05:18 PM
Any pics of your bike with the armor? Im debating on what to get mine.

Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
My brothers right out of he Honda dealer brand new was on 4! Thats stiff for brand new shocks. When I bought mine it was on 1 or 2 and I had to put it on 3 because I bottomed out on everything on 1 or 2. My brothers shocks over the years of getting beat on from where we ride and how we ride he has them set to 5 and they are softer than mine on 3! They wear out after a while.

gcart2
07-18-2007, 05:26 PM
can i see some pics on what u r setting? im lost here. i have a 04 stock all the way and i need to stiffen it up for mx

casey_lamm
07-18-2007, 07:12 PM
look towards the bottom of a stock shock. You will see a round peice with several notches in it. You can adjust the travel of the shock with it. We are discussing the factory settings ...and how they losen overtime so its something you adjust until you can't adjust it any more...then its time to replace the shock.

Travel may not be the right word, but its the only way I can think of to explain it.

Originally posted by gcart2
can i see some pics on what u r setting? im lost here. i have a 04 stock all the way and i need to stiffen it up for mx

Lowcountrydave
07-18-2007, 07:28 PM
Here is a pic, I just took it at 9:30pm Still turned out good. Its the preload adjustment you can change on the front shocks.

Dave

casey_lamm
07-18-2007, 07:39 PM
thats it...mine isn't black I don't think I think it was steel or sliver...

Here is a pic, I just took it at 9:30pm Still turned out good. Its the preload adjustment you can change on the front shocks.

Dave

tar
07-18-2007, 07:50 PM
I have mine on the 5th notch and it's rough but I still bottom out bad and I only weigh 120. Stock shockers suck