PDA

View Full Version : rev box?!?!?!?! HELP!!!!

homemadebrownie
07-17-2007, 01:14 PM
ok im thinkin bout getting a rev box for my 250ex and i need to know is it bad b/c the pistons are being overworked and will mess up anything else in my quad besides the piston???
thanks

300exOH
07-17-2007, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by homemadebrownie
ok im thinkin bout getting a rev box for my 250ex and i need to know is it bad b/c the pistons are being overworked and will mess up anything else in my quad besides the piston???
thanks

A rev box wont hurt anything unless you get one with no rev limit at all and run it at high rpm's. Personally I think a rev box is a waste on a 250ex since it makes most of it's power low in the rpm range. Unless you have a cam, high comp. piston, etc...

homemadebrownie
07-17-2007, 01:24 PM
so the only way it will help is from engine work

300exOH
07-17-2007, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by homemadebrownie
so the only way it will help is from engine work

For the most part... yes. You might be able to take advantage of a few extra revs but I highly doubt it is worth the money. My wifes stock 250ex feels like it stops making peak power long before the factory rev limiter. I think there are better was to spend $100 on the little 250.

RiderTRX400ex
07-17-2007, 03:50 PM
good advice from 300exOH.. put your money elsewhere..

wilkin250r
07-18-2007, 07:11 AM
Your engine isn't going to rev to the moon. Eventually it drops off.

Your engine actually TAKES power to run, it has internal forces that require power to overcome. At low rpms, it's not a big deal, but it gets worse at high RPMS.

Eventually, those internal forces get pretty big, and it actually takes more to keep the engine running then the engine is actually produces. The available power output drops off, because all the power is going to just keeping the engine turning, there is none left over to send to the wheels.

Believe it or not, this point is right about the stock rev limit. The power output drops off after that. There is almost no point at all in revving higher, because there simply isn't any power at those revs.

A modified engine can continue to make power, so there are indeed some quads that can really benefit from a high-rev CDI. But unfortunately, the 250EX simply isn't one of them.

It's like painting a house. If the house is 20ft tall, you only need a 20ft ladder. Spending extra on a 50ft ladder is just wasting money.