PDA

View Full Version : drink systems

firefighterjosh
07-16-2007, 11:04 PM
I have a 50oz system now. anyone else wear bigger? I find myself running out of water after 1 hour.

What are some other comfortible brands? A brand with some pockets would be nice for the helmet cam.

GPracer2500
07-17-2007, 02:09 AM
I have a CamelBak Mule and Hawg. Both have 100oz bladders. A lot of the places I ride, if you crash or break down it's not as simple as just walking back to the truck, house, or whatever. So I often carry a full bladder even if I'm not expecting to actually drink all of it. An ugly situation just gets uglier when you're stuck in the middle of nowhere on a hot day with a dwindling water supply.

I use the Mule (549 cu in cargo) for general purpose and the Hawg (801 cu in cargo) for longer rides where I might need to carry more stuff (tools, jacket, etc). They are excellent quality packs. I've got a Jansport Odyssey (2350 cu in cargo) for when I've really got to carry a lot of stuff. I'd like to get a CamelBak Rogue (70oz badder, 130 cu in cargo) or Classic (70oz bladder, 0 cargo) for rides were I really only need to carry water.

I'm told OGIO makes an excellent 70oz hydration pack also but I've never used one.

firefighterjosh
07-17-2007, 02:18 AM
thanks for the info. By the way i will also be using this for racing. So when I say pocket I mean just enough to fit a helmet cam in which is about big as my hand

GPracer2500
07-17-2007, 03:15 AM
The Rogue might be a good choice then. Might be just the right water (70oz) and cargo capacity.
http://mirror.altrec.com/images/shop/detail/swatches/CML/5214.28350_d.jpg

Cargo-wise, the Mule is probably bigger than you'd need. I think it's the smallest 100oz'er the CamelBak sells. This pic does make it look a little bigger than it really is. Well, at least when it's not stuffed it cinches down to a lower profile.
http://images.rei.com/media/946798.jpg

firefighterjosh
07-17-2007, 04:14 AM
Thanks for the pics as well. The rouge looks like a good one. I would really like to have the 100oz bladder though..

The rouge looks like what I already have minus the top pocket. I may have to see what size my friends bladder is on his camelback and stuff it in mine and fill with water..... maybe I could get away with just buying a bigger bladder.:D

07-17-2007, 06:37 AM
i got a full back pack that has a 70 oz bladder at walmart for less than $30 dollars. they had other versions there, but that is the one that fit my needs...

OutlawBill
07-17-2007, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by speedyquad
i got a full back pack that has a 70 oz bladder at walmart for less than $30 dollars. they had other versions there, but that is the one that fit my needs...

Walmart are ok just wash out the bladder real good with hot water and bleach. I just rinse mine out with cold water and got real sick on my first ride and it leak and fell apart. I got it because I forgot my Camelback Mule. I went out and bought Camelback Hawg, one goes in to my riding gear bag one in the truck. Gave the Chinese Walmart one too Am Vets.

07-17-2007, 08:39 AM
actually the one i have is very durable and the tag on it said made in america...

OutlawBill
07-17-2007, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by speedyquad
actually the one i have is very durable and the tag on it said made in america... I am glad to hear that I was not so lucky. As they say: some time you get the bear and some time the bear gets you :D I was got:eek2:

TWISTED DINLI
07-17-2007, 08:58 AM
i am gonna have to get one of these camelback things for when i race.:devil:

mitch91
07-17-2007, 10:02 AM
Were do you guys go? I have really never have thought about brining water.

OutlawBill
07-17-2007, 12:20 PM
Check out Fly they have one that attaches too there chest protector http://www.flyracing.com/product/luggage/convertible.htm

07-17-2007, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by OutlawBill
I am glad to hear that I was not so lucky. As they say: some time you get the bear and some time the bear gets you :D I was got:eek2:

must be that east coast/west coast thing...

firefighterjosh
07-17-2007, 05:55 PM
I didn't know wally world had them lol. I may have to check it out. The 100oz I like from KTM is $70:eek2:

DF400ex
07-17-2007, 10:47 PM
I use my Camelbak BFM pack. It has a 100 oz bladder built into it. It served me great in Iraq for a year and held up to some pretty hard riding the summer after and it was great. You can pack enough for a 3 day ride in it.