PDA

View Full Version : ithe best engine im needing any help possible

nicktrx400ex
07-16-2007, 09:52 PM
ok heres the deal i am looking for the most powerful engine i want sumthng tht will pull wheelies and reach real fast top speeds like around 160 would be nice but i was thinking street bike engine or harley engine the onyl street bikes i would consider would be a honda cbr 900r or a cbr 600rr or a r1 or r6 but i was also thinking bout a harley v twin engine but im unsure if they pull wheelies the purpose of all this is to find the engine cause im going to try n put one of these on a 4 wheeler because i found a way to make it street legal and also im planing on making my own frame and all tht so n e help on a engine would be appriciated - thanks

RiderTRX400ex
07-16-2007, 10:31 PM
sounds like a huge project. i would never EVER want to take a wheeler up to 160mph.

if your gettin an engine, go with honda

and how the hell did find a way to make it street legal? are you sure you talked to the right people?

nicktrx400ex
07-16-2007, 11:51 PM
well c they said if i got the frame inspected n got a 10 digit vin number n thn itd b able to b street legal or suumthn confusing like tht lol all i no is the lady at the dmv said i could ge tit done with all the proper stuff n all tht lol n it has to have a 10m dig vin number but i plan on building it longer thn normal n wider thn normal by alot lol

nicktrx400ex
07-17-2007, 03:29 PM
i still need to know what would be the most powerfull cause im sure that the quad will be kinda heavy due to all the frame and stuff so im needing a motor that will be able to pull wheelies and still have top end and have low end torque thanks

GPracer2500
07-17-2007, 03:34 PM
I'm speechless.

nicktrx400ex
07-17-2007, 05:27 PM
yep itl be awsome i think im still unsure bout which engine to use tho

RiderTRX400ex
07-17-2007, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
I'm speechless.

never thought Id live to see the day GP was speechless:blah:

nicktrx400ex
07-17-2007, 05:39 PM
lol well i no its gona be fast n i want the speed of the cbr but i like the sound of a harley lol i want the best all around engine for wheelies and burnouts and still be able to reach fast top speeds of around 160 is my goal

450rJam
07-17-2007, 06:00 PM
wow, he is serious

at first I thought it was a joke

bt now I C he is 4 real (sorry it took me like 2 min. to type that)

bossman525
07-17-2007, 06:06 PM
he cnt b 4 reel he wnts 2 pul whls at 160 mph lol lol lol

you want to do something like that than put a small block chevy in it and get life insurance

nicktrx400ex
07-17-2007, 06:08 PM
yea ive done my research on what all neeeds to be done i basicly know everythng i have to do in order to build it i have a hydralic tubing bender available at my uncles shop and welder i have 1 but i need to get a tig welder to do this tho cause it will look alot better if tig welded but i know what i need to do to ge tthe engine lined up and centerd on the bike only problem is idk which engine and once i find the engine i will need the money other than tht i have everythng i need in my shop tools saws and all tht stuff so yea any help with the engine would be appricitated

nicktrx400ex
07-17-2007, 06:19 PM
n no i dont want to do wheelies at 160 mph i want it to b able to reach speeds of 160 i want it to be able to pull wheelies easily and still be able to have a top end speed

450rJam
07-17-2007, 07:12 PM
what if you just took a hayabusa and added two more tires ?

nicktrx400ex
07-17-2007, 07:34 PM
i would like to stick with honda cause idk im jus a honda person lol

nicktrx400ex
07-17-2007, 09:43 PM
c i no street bike are high reving and in order to get some of them to wheelie you have to be rolling and already have sum throttle on it trhn kinda hit it alil to make it pop up and i have never ridn a harley but im sure they would have sum low end to em n i think they can pull wheelies if its set up like a 4 wheelr and is centerd right

nicktrx400ex
07-18-2007, 09:26 PM
can a harley pop a wheelie good if it was centerd right? that is basicly the question i have cause a harly has a great sound and really id rather hear a load thumping noise thn a high pitch noise cuz harleys are pretty fast if you get into the v twins and i was thinking bout gettng the lik1300ccs or sumthn like tth harley engine

Eviltanker
07-19-2007, 06:41 AM
OK, deathwish. First off the only Harley engine that would be worth it is either a V-Rod block or one that Buell had there fingers on. They are the only ones that can rev higher. Another thing, Are you out of your d#$m mind? If you want a wheeler like that go to BMW's site and try to order one.Even if you make it 5 foot wide and 7 foot long it will be way too unstable at 100MPH let alone 160. Sorry if this sounds like bashing,but you need to do some more homework junior. Study up on the mechanics of building a frame and learn a true understanding of engines before you try this. I think if you do it right it would be cool but, You didn't research it enough yet since you are unsure of wich motor you want . I would say you need to seriously learn about different motors and each ones characteristics and abilities/quirks. Not just stuff one in that "IS the most powerfull." Enough can go wrong in a project, Try to avoid that by making well thought out and educated decisions not guesses.
I would like to see you do this, just don't want to hear on here that you ended up killing yourself test riding it.

REDRIDDER
07-19-2007, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
I'm speechless. I think you said all that could be said.

nicktrx400ex
07-19-2007, 10:22 AM
lol well the reason im not tryng to buy 1 is because id much rather build my own the way i like it but yea i totaly get wat your sayng ut i have been reading everythng i can find on building frames and stuff and the engines ive tryd to figure ut which 1 i stuck wit the cbr 900rr for the longest time but then i cam across a vtwin harley engine and it lookd cool but the thing i was wanting to know is whihc 1 had the most torque and top end but i had reasearched builds like this and what all needs to be done see the thing im gona do is build my own frame from scratch because i have a few of my dads friends that can make sure my welds are good and make sure im on the right track with it and i also have acess to a bender and stuff like that but im never doin n e thng stupid on **** like that i jus basicly want it to go that fast so i now it can if i wanted to

nicktrx400ex
07-19-2007, 10:26 AM
o i also wanted to say this is also another reason i piut it in a tread cuz i like to hear wat every1ns thoughts are idc if there bashing or w/e its all fine that was my main point in posting it to see wat every1ns opinions were well keep the post comin

xxnightraven73x
07-19-2007, 10:36 AM
ok go with the 900RR engine i had one in second gear i could clutch it up at 35mph and 50mph third gear i could bounce on it and with a little clutch it would stand up now theres a guy on another forum that just got done an R1 engine in a raptor frame and it looks sick and he says its fast as h*ll i havent watched the vids yet
http://www.raptorforum.com/index.php?topic=9492.0
but either way id get a frame and gusset the dogsnot out of it and add bracing once the engine is in but go through all the pages of his build to get an idea of what youre looking at doing

nicktrx400ex
07-19-2007, 11:03 AM
well im not gona use a ex frame or n e already frame built for a quad cause if it doesnt work i still want my ex in perfect runing condition lol so im gona build my own frame a-arms and everythng the only thing i might need is to get a swing arm and make it fit on the frame im still in the thinking stages as to how everythng is going to go together i have a general idea jus the part that i need first is to figure out a engine im still thinking bout the cbr 900 cause i want tto be able to jus hit the throttle and ride wheelies and **** but top speed im looking for 160 but il oprobly never get up to that fast cause il have to find a place to take it that fast b4 i try and im not meaning a road lol

HondaEXrider22
07-19-2007, 11:18 AM
It'll never work. Esp. to make it street legal.

czrider263
07-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Just go out and buy that street legal quad that has that BMW motor in it.

Flynbryan19
07-19-2007, 11:37 AM
Never going to happen. Your not even old enough to have your license anyway.

czrider263
07-19-2007, 11:40 AM
heres a pic... im sure most have already seen it.

450rJam
07-19-2007, 03:42 PM
few things you will need before you start your research

ability to write or type (so everyone can assume your serious)

the geometry involved in design and fab. of a rolling chassis capable of 160mph safely will take you a few years.

your going to have to do about 40 million times more research
before thinking about what motor to use.

you chain driving it ? or a rear diff.

your about as far away from looking for a motor as you are from landing on the moon.

nicktrx400ex
07-19-2007, 04:11 PM
1st off im 17 and ive been researching this **** 4 around 3 years so far and ive done all the reasearch i need for building frames ans **** like that i also have people to check and make sure im doing right and ive checkd with the dmv here and they said i have to call a special title unit and get intouch with them b 4 i can ride on the streeet and it depends on which engine i use depends on wht the final drive is so n e ways keep the post coming

450rJam
07-19-2007, 05:06 PM
I have to stop now, logic and common sense isnt working

nicktrx400ex
07-19-2007, 05:14 PM
lol ok it dont matter really im just asking bout the best engine

Kickstarts-suck
07-19-2007, 06:59 PM
I would go with a harley twin motor and take the wheelie sensor off and also take off exhaust and put an O pipe on it .

nicktrx400ex
07-19-2007, 07:33 PM
c thts y i posted this in here i dont know much about harleys wats a wheelie sensor and the exhaust im not sure bout tht either but i was jus gona put straight pipes on it lol

pro-rider46
07-19-2007, 07:37 PM
in a dirtwheels lonestar stuffed a rc51 motor in a yfz frame and body and then turbo charged it. that sounds interesting

GPracer2500
07-19-2007, 09:35 PM
Kickstarts-Suck is just messin' with ya. You can't actually remove the wheelie sensor on a Harley engine without re-indexing the crank. And that's a huge job. You can by-pass it though without getting into the bottom end. Just FYI.

nicktrx400ex
07-19-2007, 09:52 PM
im still tryn to figure out whihc bike has the most hp but is either a harley or a honda i jus feel i no these companys most but does any 1 know the torque specs for harleys fastest and most cc engine and hondas cbr 900rr and does any 1 know of a bike honda makes that is faster than thn the cbr?

pro-rider46
07-19-2007, 10:38 PM
here the lonestar pic.

nicktrx400ex
07-19-2007, 11:59 PM
ok i think i know wat im gona go with a cbr 1000rr engine now can some one tell me the price for this engine brand new from honda? i tryd looking in service honda but i couldnt find how to look it up thanks are there any other engines honda makes that are faster than this 1?

Eviltanker
07-20-2007, 06:49 AM
If you want a torquey wheely machine look towards a twin Stay away from the Harley motors You will not be able to afford a buell or V-rod block. think about an RC51 motor, Very good amout of torque. Also don't look at brand new motors, try to find a used one maybe from a wrecked bike.

pro-rider46
07-20-2007, 04:20 PM
i agree.

67mopar
07-20-2007, 07:10 PM
i didnt know u could could make quads street legal anywhere besides arizona, anyways this is going to be a bad ***** quad in the end if you ever start or finish it, you really got to know what your doin and should study up more if you do decide to start this project

450rJam
07-20-2007, 10:32 PM
you better get some incredible front end parts, the steering ratio will have to be greatly reduced also (can you imagine a bump at 160mph)

prob. need some titanium tie rods and good luck finding an atv tire rated for that kind of speed.

you will have to design an aerodynamic shell instead of the stock plastics for wind resistance and down force (you seen what happens to cars and boats when they dont have enough down force ? they become short airplane rides)

alot to think about

REDRIDDER
07-21-2007, 05:42 PM
Crazy mo fo lol......

Toadz400
07-21-2007, 06:17 PM
This kid reminds me of a friend that had a truck fall on him when he was working on it. He thought putting it on jack stands on a hill, on soft dirt with no wheel chalks then crawling underneath it and try taking off a wheel would be an okay idea. Sounds a lot like this kid.

GlowBoy
07-22-2007, 01:51 PM
If I had such a stupid question I would have told you guys that I was making a hill climber and needed a 6 foot extended swingarm as well.

xxnightraven73x
07-22-2007, 03:16 PM
id like to put one together with a r6 engine and run it in the pits and some trails but im not stupid enough to want to put it on the road.i am stupid enough to run it hard in the woods and some big ***** pits lol :D

400exrider707
07-23-2007, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by nicktrx400ex
1st off im 17 and ive been researching this **** 4 around 3 years so far and ive done all the reasearch i need for building frames ans **** like that i also have people to check and make sure im doing right and ive checkd with the dmv here and they said i have to call a special title unit and get intouch with them b 4 i can ride on the streeet and it depends on which engine i use depends on wht the final drive is so n e ways keep the post coming

What type of frame design are you using and what material are you using to build it? What kind of welding will you be doing? Is this something you learned on your own? Who's "checking" your work. There is so much more work to be engineered here its not even funny.

You say you either want a harley or a honda? Thats like apples and oranges there....

nicktrx400ex
07-23-2007, 07:38 AM
well idk much about harleys i just know little things and streetbikes i know enough about i have friends with em n stuff like tht but i have my dads friend who is a retired mitlitary mechanic and hes built custom frames before and he knows what all is involved just il go as far as i can with it and wen i need help all i have to do is ask but il also be doing tig welding im taking a class this year for it so i can make sure i know exacltly wat im doing but other than that i dont know much more bout what im planning on doing it depends on what type of engine because i was thinking of going with the cbr1000rr and using the chain drive because itd be awhole lot eisierto get alighned and stuff but yea il figure all this out when i get money for a engine

400exrider707
07-23-2007, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by nicktrx400ex
well idk much about harleys i just know little things and streetbikes i know enough about i have friends with em n stuff like tht but i have my dads friend who is a retired mitlitary mechanic and hes built custom frames before and he knows what all is involved just il go as far as i can with it and wen i need help all i have to do is ask but il also be doing tig welding im taking a class this year for it so i can make sure i know exacltly wat im doing but other than that i dont know much more bout what im planning on doing it depends on what type of engine because i was thinking of going with the cbr1000rr and using the chain drive because itd be awhole lot eisierto get alighned and stuff but yea il figure all this out when i get money for a engine

It sounds like you have a ton more research to do. You need to design this frame before you start building it. Using 3-d drafting is the best way because you will be able to stress test befores its even built. Get physical dimensions and weight of a few different motors and try to build a chassis around it (draw it out) then you should do a lot of calculations to make sure the frame will hold up not only to the motor, but also an impact. Safety first! Its always nice to see someone with the ambition to do something like this, however most dont succeed, I wish you the best of luck with your project. From the sounds of it you have no clue what you are doing, but thats not a bad thing, just need to hit the books and learn! Good luck and be sure to post all your progress!:cool:

nicktrx400ex
07-23-2007, 08:39 AM
well yea i know i dont seem like i no what im talking bout lol but i know what im tryn to do and i know whats involved in building a frame all i need is a engine to figure out what im tryn to build around i usually do draw n **** in drafting class ro figure out what will work and what wont and what looks best and will hold up to the type of stuff that it will be used for like bracing in special spots tht look weak and other stuff all i no is itl b a big project so i need to get alot of money b4 i even start doing n e thng im def not buying a engine n e time soon im still lookin around and making sure i find 1 tht has the best power threw out the whole power band and has great torque and is fast which most of are real fast n e ways lol but im thinking of goign with the cbr1000rr i jus need to c how it bolts in and all tht to c if i could make it work

Eviltanker
07-23-2007, 09:02 AM
Ever think about Susuki? TL 1000 motors had monster torque! It's also a twin that you want.

400exrider707
07-23-2007, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Eviltanker
Ever think about Susuki? TL 1000 motors had monster torque! It's also a twin that you want.

Same idea as an RC51 1000 twin, their performance is on par with a 750 four cylinder.

On another note... here is a webpage that a friend of mine from school made. He is building a vehicle similar to a t-rex but on his own accord. He did all the engineering he needs to do and has built a couple of prototypes. He has an 04 R1 motor I believe to put in this bad boy. Interesting read if you want to learn something...

http://www.trike.zoomshare.com/

He's kind of a cornball and he's way too smart for his own good.... but good read none the less.

REDRIDDER
07-25-2007, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
This kid reminds me of a friend that had a truck fall on him when he was working on it. He thought putting it on jack stands on a hill, on soft dirt with no wheel chalks then crawling underneath it and try taking off a wheel would be an okay idea. Sounds a lot like this kid. WHY DOESNT HE BUY A CBR1000 AND PUT THAT ON THE ROAD HED PROBABLY BE SAFER LOL...BUT TOADZ400 YOUR RIGHT LMAO......GOOD LUCK THOUGH

Ghost-Rider
07-25-2007, 07:33 PM
I only read the first post so sorry if its already said but dude any of those engines will pop wheelies if you mash it into a quad chassis.

400exrapes
07-27-2007, 11:21 PM
haha he's right but a harely engine would be sick, and also like 10 grand or so. get a sport bike engine but big and honda. and when your done take a million pictures, videos and stuff. See thats amazing cause you can do everything with it all you need is the right tires. and it will save you so much money.
your going to get pulled over all the time too tho

450rJam
07-28-2007, 06:40 AM
why stop at a small harley or honda engine ???????

hell go all out (unless your a sissy) HA HA

How about dropping a 500 c.i.d. hemi in there ?
slap on a little 14-71 supercharger for 45+ psi boost?
on nitromethane you can push 1000hp per cylinder
(yeah, 8000 h.p.)

you can pick up a race ready engine for around 60,000

why you bother with the small talk when we all know your going
to build it like this ?