PDA

View Full Version : hot cams??

yfzrider73
07-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Do any of you guys think i should put hot cams in my 05 YFZ check out what all i have done

THANKS

pro-rider46
07-17-2007, 12:47 AM
yeah man do it, you know how much it did to my bike. imagine dohc hotcams.

pro-rider46
07-17-2007, 12:50 AM
hey you also may want to check out any other aftermarket cams, that make there own cams, and not grind the stock ones. do the webcams do any good in the yfz.

pro-rider46
07-17-2007, 12:55 AM
hey i found this in a previous thread.

For the YFZ they only offer 1 option. We run them in a mostly stock motor. You will get a little better response off the bottom, and they pull a little harder throught the rpm range. A side x side drag race is a poor comparison.
Web and Megacycle camms will give you a more noticeable improvement, but if you go with the more radical cam profiles, then you need to get stiffer springs and stainless valves. The titanium stock valves can't handle the added pounding very long. Your other option would be to put new stock valves and springs in every 20 hrs or so.

GPracer2500
07-17-2007, 01:32 AM
The stock YFZ cams are very good. They are not like the stock 450r or 400ex cams (in which there are sure-fire gains to be had by replacing the stockers). I'm not saying there aren't higher performing cams out there for the YFZ but be sure to do a lot of research about which ones may help with your setup.

If you decide to experiment with new cams my advice is to be sure and dyno your bike first so you've got a baseline. Re-dyno after with the new cams and confirm that you're getting the gains you were hoping for.

Personally, I would spend my money on porting before I tried to find more performance with different cams (on a YFZ).

$0.02

250r4life
07-17-2007, 12:13 PM
from the looks of your sig you havent done the "cam mod," so no, i would not go and buy hot cams if i was you... i would try retarding the timing one tooth on the exhuast cam 1st, and see what you think...

i did the cam mod 2 saturdays ago, and really like how it felt...

YFZ450Ridr
07-17-2007, 08:31 PM
from what ive read over on yfzcentral, almost all the guys discourage hot cams and vote for web cams or a crower intake cam with the cam mod done. i cant vouch for this information personally but this is the big word on the streets about yfz cams. i had planned on buying cams at the end of summer but i think im going to do the cam mod first just to give it a shot!

Dill
07-18-2007, 05:50 PM
the YFZ cams are quite good, especially once the cam mod is applied. In your situation, I would go for a piston and or porting first.

Tony Tice (who designed the YFZ and YZF hot cams) recommended to me to try a Hot Cams intake cam with the stock YFZ exhaust cam in the modded position. It made a significant difference on my bike and was half the price. I do have a 12.5:1 piston and a ported head though.

A A R O N
07-19-2007, 05:15 PM
Be careful with the "cam mod" as a solution. It is free to do so I guess it can't hurt because you can always change it back but before you do it consider this dyno run. The blue line is stock and the red line is with a slip on, and air box removed. The green is the slip on, lid removed, and "cam mod". There is a loss in power between 4-5 thousand rpms because of the lean condition it creates. You'll notice that it never really shows a huge benefit over the red line.

http://www.gtthunder.com/YfzDyno5.html

From experience, I did not like the cam mod at all. I did it to my quad becuase it was free and immediately after I talked to Laz at GT Thunder and told him it was running terribly. He told me to reverse what I had done because of the drop you see in the graph. He said it would be very difficult ride the quad hard enough to keep it in the range of power that would actually benefit from the cam mod.

IMO......the cam mod is mostly psychological.

H_W
07-19-2007, 07:58 PM
I did the cam mod to my yfz. Mine runs alot better. If yours is running terribly, then you may need to rejet or you did not do something right.

MAaudioX10
07-19-2007, 10:00 PM
I've got a set of hot cams on my YFZ and, chit, this thing straight rips..everywhere. Don't know what you guys are talking about but, there is a noticeable different.

A A R O N
07-19-2007, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by H_W
I did the cam mod to my yfz. Mine runs alot better. If yours is running terribly, then you may need to rejet or you did not do something right.

It's possible that my jetting was not spot on for the cam mod, but I know it was done correctly, and I'm not the only one with the same results.

250r4life
07-20-2007, 01:14 AM
you were a bit premature..... you posted the dyno graph when they had done the cam mod, but had not rejetted....

what you needed to post was this...

http://www.gtthunder.com/YfzDyno6.html

if you'll notice, it does not have the dip and is better the whole way

250r4life
07-20-2007, 01:18 AM
and hopefully my bike looks something like this, as i have the full HHF, but i have a pro design K&N with no lid... im at a 175 main, and a 48pj...

http://www.gtthunder.com/YfzDyno8.html