PDA

View Full Version : porting and matching pipe...

800screws
07-16-2007, 06:32 PM
how important is it to run the pipe of the company that ports your cylinder...i have a esr 310 cylinder with a lrd pipe. would it be worth it to switch to a esr pipe?

GPracer2500
07-16-2007, 07:22 PM
I'm don't think that company to company it's all that important to match the brand of porting to the brand of pipe. However, my understanding is that it IS best to match the type of porting with the type of pipe. For example, you don't want to run a low-end woods pipe with top-end drag porting. They'll try and fight each other, hurting the effectiveness of each. It's sorta like: you don't want your porting to be signing off just when the pipe is waking up. You wind up with neither one working very well.

Unless your porter specifically asks you for the exact pipe you're running, I doubt they ported it with a specific brand pipe in mind. I'm speculating a bit there.

I suppose it couldn't hurt to stick with all the same brand. But if your matching components that carefully, you should just talk to the guy that actually did the grinding about what pipe would be best for the work he performed.

$0.02

bushwesl
07-16-2007, 07:25 PM
You can use any brand pipe with any brand cylinder. When people say you need to "match your pipe to your cylinder," they are saying that you need to match the style pipe to the style porting you have. For example, if you have midrange porting you would want a midrange pipe, with top end porting a top end pipe, and so on. Since you have Pro-X cylinder with ESR's porting, you probaly have either the TRX-7(low-end), TRX-9(mid-range to top end), or the TRX-11(top-end/drag) porting. Although, I've never used a LRD pipe, but from what I've seen, most, if not all of them, are adjustable. And from what I understand, this means they can be adjusted for either low-end, mid-range, etc, but you would have to have someone else reply to know how to do so. Good luck!

800screws
07-17-2007, 04:32 AM
the jug has trx-9 porting

wilkin250r
07-17-2007, 07:12 AM
If you're not sure about the specifics, matching the pipe would certainly eliminate the guesswork. If you have TRX9 porting and a TRX9 pipe, then you KNOW you have a combination that will work well together.

If you have TRX9 porting and an LRD pipe, what's the guarentee that the two will work well together? You would either have to find that answer yourself, or get the help of somebody that knows. And if the pipe is adjustable, it adds even more variables.

Like others have said, it's not necessary to run the same brand, but it IS necessary to run the same style or type. And if you're not sure, then you need to enlist the help of knowledgable people.

bushwesl
07-17-2007, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
If you're not sure about the specifics, matching the pipe would certainly eliminate the guesswork. If you have TRX9 porting and a TRX9 pipe, then you KNOW you have a combination that will work well together.

ESR doesn't make a TRX-9 pipe, they only make the TRX-6 (low end), TRX-5 (mid-top end), and the TRX-11 (top end/drag). If you're going to run a ESR pipe with your TRX-9 porting, then the choice is obvious, ESR's TRX-5.

C-LEIGH RACING
07-17-2007, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by 800screws
how important is it to run the pipe of the company that ports your cylinder...i have a esr 310 cylinder with a lrd pipe. would it be worth it to switch to a esr pipe?

How important is it, a great deal, why, because that company did the testing to see what pipe build would match up with the porting in the cylinder.

The ESR TRX5 pipe is good for around upper midrange power output but not full out drag. The cylinder porting that would closely but not perfectly match the TRX5 pipe would be the TRX9.

What your probably going to find these days, most all of the good two stroke engine builders have layed the two stroke to the side & jumped on the big money 4 stroke band wagon.

You can probably still find a good pipe or a good ported cylinder but its not as important to the big builders as it was a few years ago.
Far as how important it is to match the pipe to the porting, I would be willing to bet when Shane Hitt was riding for Curtis Sparks on the 250Rs, you could go in the shop where his R was being dynoed & it would be a pile of pipes just throwed into a corner that didnt work like it was suppost to with the porting in the cylinder.

In any 2 stroke book or on any 2 stroke site on the web, matching the pipe & port work will be one of the most important subjects.

Hey & get this, did you know the best 2 stroke pipes in the world can be found in South Africa.
Those guys have the old Tomas 50cc mopeds that can reach speeds of 100 mph racing on cobble stone streets.
Neil

Toadz400
07-21-2007, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
Hey & get this, did you know the best 2 stroke pipes in the world can be found in South Africa.
Those guys have the old Tomas 50cc mopeds that can reach speeds of 100 mph racing on cobble stone streets.
Neil

I know in poor countries in South Africa and Europe would put 2-stroke pipes on 4-stroke mopeds for cheap good power.

trx250r180
07-21-2007, 08:42 PM
another thing ive found with 2 strokes ,doesnt seem to matter what cylinder i was running with porting ,the jetting was for the type of pipe not the cylinder,good starting baseline arlen set me up with at lrd was 172 main,52 pilot,ddj needle 4th clip with 38 air stryker, i ran a trinity 265 ,a lrd 265 ,and a vitos 310 and the same jetting worked well with all with race gas,with 92 pump gas if compresion is not too high id drop 1 size on pilot and main 170 main and 50 pilot and ran good