PDA

View Full Version : 450r dirtbike motor for my ex

timsmcm
07-16-2007, 05:53 PM
My name is tim and I was racing quads several years back and I would like to start racing again and I have this killer 400ex setup just right and was wondering if there was some one making kits or If there are parts to take the 450r honda dirtbike motor and be able to put it in the 400ex? I know i should buy a 450 and start over but I have more than 12,000.00 tied up in the 400ex and the quad works so good on the track that I dont want to go another way but I do need more power and would like to get rid of some weight and the 400ex motor is really heavy any help would be appreciated.

gcart2
07-16-2007, 05:57 PM
ok im with u. get a crf 450 motor., call lonestar and have them make u a frame for the crf motor exhaust etc. after that put all your 400ex parts on your new part and u are done!!! u have creted a hybrid

TYayo420
07-16-2007, 06:23 PM
gcart2, i dont know what it is with you and telling everyone to call lonestar to make a frame....not every hybrid needs a new frame from lone star..

you can custom fab a crf motor to fit the stock frame, look in the hybrid section alot of ppl have done it already..

2004exrider
07-16-2007, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by gcart2
ok im with u. get a crf 450 motor., call lonestar and have them make u a frame for the crf motor exhaust etc. after that put all your 400ex parts on your new part and u are done!!! u have creted a hybrid

I'm starting to get the feeling you work for Lonestar:p .

Jimmy

gcart2
07-17-2007, 04:55 AM
im 14 =). its ez'er to have a frame made so everything can bolt right up. i dont no of another company that builds custom frames. im sure therer are but lsr has never screwed me over. ill stick with lsr and that is the point of this website... to share advice/suggestions

REDRIDDER
07-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by gcart2
im 14 =). its ez'er to have a frame made so everything can bolt right up. i dont no of another company that builds custom frames. im sure therer are but lsr has never screwed me over. ill stick with lsr and that is the point of this website... to share advice/suggestions He said hes got 12,000 tie up in his quad I'm sure he doesn't want to also buy the 450r dirtbike motor and spend another chunk of change on a frame,im sure the frame is expensive as hell,also its been done before using a stock ex frame and has worked with almost any motor you can find.

timsmcm
07-17-2007, 05:46 PM
I have no need to go aftermarket with what I have now. Nothing will work any better that the setup I have now the thing is planted it is like it is on rails and it flys better than any other quad I have ever ridden. I do not want to change a thing i just want a better lighter motor. I already have a new 2000 model yzf 426 do you think I should use this motor out of that bike and If so can I bump that motor up to 450 and have the performance that they are getting out of the new 450 quads. The reason I was asking about honda motor is because I am a honda man but If i can get good performance out of the yamaha motor I will go with that motor

440challenger
07-19-2007, 07:05 AM
If you can weld you can do it yourself like i did.

TWISTED DINLI
07-19-2007, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by timsmcm
I have no need to go aftermarket with what I have now. Nothing will work any better that the setup I have now the thing is planted it is like it is on rails and it flys better than any other quad I have ever ridden. I do not want to change a thing i just want a better lighter motor. I already have a new 2000 model yzf 426 do you think I should use this motor out of that bike and If so can I bump that motor up to 450 and have the performance that they are getting out of the new 450 quads. The reason I was asking about honda motor is because I am a honda man but If i can get good performance out of the yamaha motor I will go with that motor

yeah that motor would be good to use. because thats what some poeple use and they say that they are just as fast as the 450 motors. so its up to you.

AND, they say that the YZF motors are A LOT easier and are the easiest hybrid conversion you can put in a 400ex frame.

TWISTED DINLI
07-19-2007, 08:29 AM
Oh yea and if you have a lot of questions about building hybrid quads you might want to check out the hybrid information because there is a lot of people over there that have put 426 and 450 motors in the 400ex frames.

hope the info i have given you helps.