PDA

View Full Version : outerwear air box cover?

MichiganMOOSE79
07-16-2007, 05:12 PM
anyone know who sells these for a 2000 400ex? havent seen for ex yet? my buddy has one on his dvx and its sweet and he didnt pay $100 for it(k&n).any help would be great, thanks

Colby@C&DRacing
07-16-2007, 05:21 PM
we sell them I they are $20

gcart2
07-16-2007, 05:53 PM
www.motosport.com
i got 1 from them

hondaman440ex
07-17-2007, 03:34 PM
I got an Outwear Air Box Cover from the Honda dealer. That way I didn't have to pay shipping just for one $18 item. It took them three days to get it in and I could pick it up.

dariusld
07-17-2007, 03:51 PM
Take your time installing it, because mine didn't stay on my air box very well.

07-17-2007, 05:41 PM
i was also thinking of buying the one off motosport thats cheap because I dont want to run open airbox lid but I want the power of doing tha. Would this stop most of the dust but still give m the performance? I have the outerwear on my K&N as well but still dont like all the dust that still gets in. Would this restrick airflow much or is it pretty free flowing just filtering most particles?

zdowell
07-17-2007, 06:57 PM
the one on motosport.com looks pretty good. I am also thinking of buying one. Ive seen where guys take their air box lid and cut a big hole in it so it holds the outerwear on better. Just an idea

hondaman440ex
07-17-2007, 07:24 PM
The outwear is made out of the same material that the fliter is on the filter. It is just double protection. I wouldn't drill holes into the air box lid just because if you ever ride dust areas you can just put it back on and keep most of the dust out.

CarGuy7a
07-17-2007, 09:26 PM
you could probably just make one from a stock airbox lid. i bought one from www.ehsracing.com but you could probably make one. as said before the velcro ones don't like to stay on so modding a stock lid is probably your best bet. mine has an outerwears in the lid held tight with an aluminum frame bolted to the top of the lid. it's a pretty trick setup and it's very secure.

i'm also running a K&N and the dust was a nightmare even with an outerwears on the filter. check out what i did to prevent dust packing up the K&N filter in my thread titled K&N users please look. it's a good cheap fix to running a vented lid if you have a stock airfilter laying around doing nothing. i also did not have to do anything with jetting.

07-17-2007, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by hondaman440ex
The outwear is made out of the same material that the fliter is on the filter. It is just double protection. I wouldn't drill holes into the air box lid just because if you ever ride dust areas you can just put it back on and keep most of the dust out.

There is the powerlid which is like another filter and then thee is the outerwear, thats wht I am looking at. The powerlid is like $104 and the outwear is only $18. I was just wondering if it would restrict the flow or be worth gtting. I wat the power of open airbox lid with out all the dust.

supernatural
07-18-2007, 04:11 PM
the outerwear lid worked great for me. i have an 04 piped and jetted and it really opened it up. i bought the ehsracing.com kit and i like it. the only problem is that it is water resistant, not water poof. if you ride mud you should get a spare airbox lid for that ride. regular water crossings and puddles or riding in the rain i have had no problems. the water repellant wears off after about 6 months of good riding so you will have to replace it even if you follow their cleaning recommendations. once you have the kit the replacement filter is 22.10 shipped. (i bought one about 10 minutes ago) they also stay on better than the velcro ones.

07-18-2007, 08:03 PM
stock replacement lids are only $11. So you can take the stock one, buy the outwear for $18 and also buy another lid. Drill holes in the old lid and save the new one. Problem solved instead of $80 DIY for under $30.