PDA

View Full Version : Front brake problem

tprender
10-23-2002, 04:23 PM
I have steel lines on my 400 and there is no air in the lines that I know of. Last weekend during the Ironman race, I had to make a little detour and had to run over some small trees to get around some slower riders. When I went to pull in the front the next time I had nothing. I pulled the lever a few times and it then worked good. A few times later during the race my front brkes had nothing again, but they did come back. I go out to the quad now and the lever is very hard. What happened and do I need to change anything?

blood red
10-23-2002, 05:34 PM
Did you check the resevoir level? Check the flexible hoses by the wheels and see if they are punctured.

Ex'r Marlin
10-23-2002, 07:38 PM
Wow... I am confused!:confused:

Unless like Blood Red said about the fluid not being to correct level, I guess I would drain the brake fluid and make sure you fill it with the correct "DOT" brake fluid.

Good luck!

GNCC#829
10-24-2002, 09:46 AM
My fronts have done that before too. I just never thought much about it because after a few pumps on the lever, they worked fine. But I am planning on steel braided brake lines.

465Stroker
10-24-2002, 09:50 AM
Check your front wheel bearings or brake rotors. If your wheel bearings are bad or brake rotor is bent slightly it will compress you calipers piston in enough that you will have to pump the brakes to get them to work - similar to when you compress the piston to install new brake pads! I have had it happen before with bad wheel bearings making the hub wobble - thus compressing the piston into the caliper.
Are ya pickin up what I'm puttin down??
Good Luck,
RC