PDA

View Full Version : walsh/yz stupid oil change question

usp4u
07-16-2007, 01:47 PM
can someone tell me the capacity of a stock 400ex oil tank ?
also, when changing the oil in my walsh yz450 the yamaha manual states to pull the drain plug thats right under countershaft and the picture in the manual seems to show as though there are two plugs. i can access the the large plug on the bottom which drains a very small amount of oil, but not the other one. Now i realize i wont get much from the crankcase b/c its a dry sump, but what about the rest? i have been unbolting the oil line from under the clutch cover, but if theres another method i would rather not continually disturb that line. i'm trying to get an idea of what i'm doing wrong b/c i'm contantly over filling the oil to the point that after a ride if i open the tank oil will pump out under pressure.

jrspawn
07-16-2007, 02:39 PM
there are a couple more things you should mention. How exactly are you changing the oil? are you draining the oil from the crankcase, and from the drain plug in the oil tank? How much oil are you adding after a full oil change, and where are you adding it to? Also, is the frame a YZ450f frame or a YZ426f/400f frame?

Thank you
Justin
jrspawn@aol.com

usp4u
07-16-2007, 03:34 PM
well, i've only changed it twice so far as i havent had the time to ride, once before i rode it for the first time and once after two practice days at the track totaling approx. 2.5 hrs. run time.
1.when draining i remove the large crankcase plug on the bottom, then i was pulling the oil line, open the fill on the oil tank and letting it gravity out. given the short time, i have not replaced the filter yet.
2.after letting everything drain, lines/plugs are reattached, fill oil at the tank allowing time for it to try to gravity into the engine, check dipstick, remove killswitch, kick the maching through many times(dont know if its any help but just seemed like it couldnt hurt to try to get oil pump primed?), check dipstick, fire engine, recheck.
3.i would guess thats its a 400/426 frame b/c its a 2000 model year. stamped "WRC 2000"

what should be the appropriate amount of oil used when using 400ex tank?

jrspawn
07-16-2007, 07:31 PM
How much oil are you adding after changing it? And do you add any oil to the engine, or just into the tank?

Thank you
Justin

usp4u
07-17-2007, 06:29 AM
its been a while but i think it was around 1-1/4 quarts. i was first putting oil (about 1/3 quart) in the engine then filling the tank. am i over-filling?