PDA

View Full Version : Goggle Trouble

amonomous
07-16-2007, 11:37 AM
Well after going through my 4th set of goggles in the past year, I'm a little discouraged. I don't know if I'm just unusually tough on them, or if I'm not properly taking care of them, but I seem to go through goggles way too quickly. What I'm looking for is a pair thats durable, but also has some style. Price is not an issue.

So far ive tried
1. Utopia Slayers
2. Oakley O Frames
3. Oakley Crowbars
3. Cheap pair of scotts

Also its not just the lense, I seem to somehow mangle the frames into shapes which I didn't know were humanly possible

mine
07-16-2007, 11:48 AM
If you race, atleast once every 2 months or so, or even do some sport of harescramble, pokerrun etc etc..

contact smxoptics.com

they have an AWESOME sponsorship program and they help out almost every one with deals extremely well. Much better than thatn oakley,spy or, dragon will give the average c-class rider.

check these out, i just ordered a pair.

and at sponsorship price, a new pair ever two months will not even be alot.

bwamos
07-16-2007, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by amonomous
Also its not just the lense, I seem to somehow mangle the frames into shapes which I didn't know were humanly possible

My first question would be: How are you storing them. Are you just tossing them into a gear bag? Or are you storing them in a hard shelled case.

I keep mine in a large filecard box (big enough for 3 goggles). I store them in there inside their protective drawstring bags. I have a bunch of holes punched top and bottom in the box so it can breath well while being very well protected against your other gear. ;)

Also when cleaning... pour. Never pressure spray or wipe.

amonomous
07-16-2007, 01:52 PM
I don't put them in a hard case of any type, but I do store them separately from my other gear and in their soft cases. I will try pouring from now, should save me a lense or two:p

FoxRacing81
07-16-2007, 01:54 PM
I have always had good luck with Spy and Dragon. Just be gentle when cleaning and changing lenses and store them in the bags that come in the box.

If price is not an issue, go pick up a nice pair of Spys and you'll be happy you did. I love mine.

mx428
07-16-2007, 04:19 PM
Spy Magneto/ Dragon

TrapZ400
07-16-2007, 05:18 PM
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x216/TrapZ400/steelmx.jpg
I have these and they are really nice. I havent had a problem with them. They are also really comfortable.
www.steelmx.com

CannondaleRider
07-16-2007, 06:40 PM
Have you looked into Scott goggles?

I have tried quite a few other goggles, and was never satisfied. None worked right, and none seemed to fit right.

Scott goggles has a very large amount of goggle models, setups, and colors.... many of which I'm sure with fit your criteria.

I personally run Scott USA NoSweatXI goggles, with the WORKS system. The goggles themselves work perfectly, in many different situations. They are almost impossible to fog up, even when sitting still on a muggy starting line. The nosepiece protects your nose very well, especially when mixed with particular helmets that have a nose guard. The WORKS system is the icing on the cake. With the WORKS system, you can run a roll-off system(which stays in place perfectly, unlike others) with a few holeshot tearoffs....for that muddy XC race that requires roll-offs, but needs a full tearoff for the first few sloppy corners. Or you can run a tearoff setup, whether it be Laminated Pro-Stacks, or straight tearoffs, for that 20 minute moto. Scott also has a HUGE selection of lenses...lenses for anything from noon in baja, to overcast in Washington trees. Scott ALSO has many awesome accessories.

Here is some regular Scott NoSweatXI's, without the WORKS system Roll-offs. They do have the WORKS system tearoff pins though.
http://www.scottusa.com/i/images/products/NoSweatXi_red.jpg
http://www.scottusa.com/i/images/products/NoSweatXi_white.jpg

Here is some Scott NoSweatXI's with the WORKS Roll-Off system, and the holeshot tearoffs
http://www.scottusa.com/i/images/products/NoSweatXi_works_red.jpg
http://www.scottusa.com/i/images/products/NoSweatXi_works_white.jpg

If you are on a budget, and can only get the base model NoSweatXI's, but really want the WORKS system....that is not a problem. A XI WORKS kit can be easily obtained as an add-on, later.
http://www.scottusa.com/i/images/products/Works_FilmKit.jpg

If NoSweats don't appeal to you, there are many other goggles Scott USA has, that may.

Check out The Scott USA, motosports division (http://www.scottusa.com/northamerica/motorsport/) website, for more information on their vast selection of products.

05Z400rdr
07-16-2007, 06:46 PM
i'd reccomend Spy goggles..

firefighterjosh
07-16-2007, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by 05Z400rdr
i'd reccomend Spy goggles..

x2....I went threw 3 pairs of scotts to my (still using) spys

amonomous
07-16-2007, 08:53 PM
does spy have a roll off system?
and those scotts do look nice

firefighterjosh
07-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Yes spy has a roll off system.

When dealing with Roll offs you have to take care of them.

After any race I...

Wash goggle off with soap and water.

Take the containers apart and and clean.

I also make sure I get all the crud and gunk out of the string. Otherwise it breaks easily.

I install new film and new mud flap when needed.

I also run 2 tear offs over them

rollie
07-16-2007, 09:23 PM
i agree with cannondalerider, im on my second pair of scott goggles, to tell the truth im not 100% on the model they are, i think they are voltageII with the works system, never had a problem with them, only reason im on my second set s because i had to ditch my old set in a mud race and they fell off my bars:( those SMX and steelMX ones look real nice though, might pick up a pair of both of those just for practice goggles.

mine
07-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by rollie
i agree with cannondalerider, im on my second pair of scott goggles, to tell the truth im not 100% on the model they are, i think they are voltageII with the works system, never had a problem with them, only reason im on my second set s because i had to ditch my old set in a mud race and they fell off my bars:( those SMX and steelMX ones look real nice though, might pick up a pair of both of those just for practice goggles.

Smx and steelMX are the same company;)

rollie
07-16-2007, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by mine
Smx and steelMX are the same company;)

two differnt names = MORE EXPOSUREE!!!!!! dude you should know your sponsored!

:p

LeGaCyGiAnT124
07-16-2007, 09:50 PM
does anyone know if smiths evo racer pack has tear off posts for the start of a race? Then swap over to the roll off?

mx428
07-17-2007, 09:13 AM
Try Dragon's. They're real nice, i like them. They're also pretty cheap retail, around $35. They don't make rolloffs yet, but they make laminated tearoffs in stacks of 7 so you can slap on 28 of them without any visual distortion.

Also, try Utopia Too Dirties. I liked them much better then slayers back in my Utopia days.

JRP
07-17-2007, 09:23 AM
I LOVE my Scotts. I have had a pair for 2 years, and they are still holding up. They are my practice goggles and i have 2 more pairs for racing and they are all working out great for me. Deffinately try those out, you will not be dissapointed!