PDA

View Full Version : engine(s) for a 95 prelude

trick250r
07-15-2007, 11:21 AM
ok guys, i need some help. i cant stand ricers. i think they're completely annoying. however, i ended up with one because i figured the gas mileage would be better. i bought a 95 honda prelude and the engine blew (timing chain broke, sucked a valve, piston shattered and now the cylinders are FUBAR). my problem is that im not into "performance" 4 cylinders and i dont know what engines will work with my car. i think my engine is an H22 or whatever they call it but all the H22's ive found are 2.1's and mine is a 2.2. is there a difference? ive also heard of a b16 swap. will this work? all im asking is for someone to teach me about these little 4 cyl engines. i grew up around dirt track racing and could re-build a small block V8 by myself but im afraid im not up to snuff on the newer technology. the the question is, which engine(s) will fit in a 1995 honda prelude? if more than one, which will run better (like i said, im not a ricer fan and i dont plan on a folgers coffee can on the back with a turbo or anything like that.) i just want something that with a few little mods will run fairly well. thanks guys and sorry for the long post.

XCAdam89
07-15-2007, 12:41 PM
The prelude comes with 2 different engines I believe. There is a VTEC one and a non-Vtec. I know the H22 is the VTEC, and puts out aroudn 50 more HP than a stock Acura Integra GSR.

The B16 your talking about is actually the B18C1 which is the standard VTEC engine in the Integra GSR's. It puts out right around 170hp, so the H22 Prelude actually produces more power..

Your best bet is to find a JDM import used engine shop, and buy a factory H22 VTEC and drop that in your lude. It's the best bang for you buck IMO.

And you made a good choice, unlike civics and accords the prelude can actually be made pretty darn quick if you build the H22 right. Any other questions just ask.

YZ400EX
07-15-2007, 04:15 PM
Ok, if you have a 95 prelude you will have 1 of 3 engines. You will have a DOHC non-Vtec 2.3 (H23), an SOHC non-Vtec 2.2 (F22), or a DOHC 2.2 Vtec (H22). There is no 2.1 for the 92-96 Preludes. they are either 2.2 or 2.3. You will want to replace the engine with the same engine that came out of the car so as little work as possible would need to be done for the swap. Do NOT even consider putting a B16 or B18 engine in that car. it is soo much smaller and you would need custom motor mounts and the tranny for the motor to even make it work and would NOT be worth it at all. B18C1 motor (Integra GSR) produces 180 HP and H22 (Prelude Vtec) produces 190-200 HP stock. you would lose power and would make for alot of work trying to put the smaller less powerfull engine into the bigger prelude. Look on the front of the block where the tranny connects to the motor and you will find the 3 digit code which will tell you what motor you have.. Again, it will be F22, H23, or H22. The best place to buy these replacement engines are from JDM importers. They are cheaper than USDM and the engines have less mileage and more HP than the USDM versions.. Hope this helps.. If you need anything else let me know.. I know Preludes and Acura's like the back of my hand.. Been dealing with them for years and years.. I have done many many engine swaps.

XCAdam89
07-15-2007, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by YZ400EX
Ok, if you have a 95 prelude you will have 1 of 3 engines. You will have a DOHC non-Vtec 2.3 (H23), an SOHC non-Vtec 2.2 (F22), or a DOHC 2.2 Vtec (H22). There is no 2.1 for the 92-96 Preludes. they are either 2.2 or 2.3. You will want to replace the engine with the same engine that came out of the car so as little work as possible would need to be done for the swap. Do NOT even consider putting a B16 or B18 engine in that car. it is soo much smaller and you would need custom motor mounts and the tranny for the motor to even make it work and would NOT be worth it at all. B18C1 motor (Integra GSR) produces 180 HP and H22 (Prelude Vtec) produces 190-200 HP stock. you would lose power and would make for alot of work trying to put the smaller less powerfull engine into the bigger prelude. Look on the front of the block where the tranny connects to the motor and you will find the 3 digit code which will tell you what motor you have.. Again, it will be F22, H23, or H22. The best place to buy these replacement engines are from JDM importers. They are cheaper than USDM and the engines have less mileage and more HP than the USDM versions.. Hope this helps.. If you need anything else let me know.. I know Preludes and Acura's like the back of my hand.. Been dealing with them for years and years.. I have done many many engine swaps.

Dang dude, Great Post! I'm buying an Integra this month, so I'm still trying to learn the ropes of the engines and all. Just out of curiousity, what is difference between the Integra GSR and Type R engines. I know the GSR makes around 172-175 and the Type R is around 190hp, and both rev up to 8000 rpm's... so what's the internal differences??

flauge
07-15-2007, 11:14 PM
Right off the top of my head the type r uses higher comp pistons, more agressive cams, and a single runner intake manifold i beilieve. Theres some more stuff different too but i cant remember.. Its been a while scince i been in the import scene..

YZ400EX
07-15-2007, 11:33 PM
The Type R engine uses different pistons, cams, rods and I believe the crank also. I believe it also comes stock with the head ported and polished. Makes great HP. The JDM version of this engine is over 200 HP. The USDM is 190 HP. I myself have a GSR which I would LOVE to drop one of those engines in, but also the tranny since it is LSD and helps with the extra torque to avoid the dreaded "torque steer". GSR engine and tranny $3000-$3500. Type R engine and Tranny $4000-$5000. Thats why I dont have one..:D

trick250r
07-16-2007, 08:01 AM
ok, so heres another question. since i have the H23, how much work would it be to put an H22 in? im guessing i would need the computer and just about everything else...right?

YZ400EX
07-16-2007, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by trick250r
ok, so heres another question. since i have the H23, how much work would it be to put an H22 in? im guessing i would need the computer and just about everything else...right?

Yours is almost a direct swap. Tranny will bolt right up. Gearing is a bit different, but it will work just fine. You will need to add a few things. You will need the H22 ECU and you will need to run I believe 2 wires from the Vtec Solenoid through your firewall into the new ECU. You will also need to change the pin placement on a few of your stock wiring harness plug pins into a different location on the harness so the ECU will function correctly. Other than that it is a direct bolt in and go.

trick250r
07-16-2007, 07:53 PM
sweet action. thanks a lot. thats why i love this site... everyone knows about everything.

YZ400EX
07-16-2007, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by trick250r
sweet action. thanks a lot. thats why i love this site... everyone knows about everything.

Hahaha..:D If anyone else wants to know anything let me know.. I am here to help..:p