PDA

View Full Version : Pro-X 330 Cylinder Questions...

bushwesl
07-14-2007, 06:39 AM
I recently picked up a Pro-X 330 cylinder and I had a few questions about it... Are the Pro-X heads good enough? Or should I say, would it be a better option to upgrade to lets say a Pro Design Cool Head or the ESR head? Does the Pro-X head have adequate cooling capabilities, as they also have the interchangeable domes? Once all of the bores are used up in the current cylinder, is it possible to re-sleeve it with a larger displacement sleeve, lets say 350cc? If that isn't the case, then after removing the sleeve, could I have the cylinder Nikasil coated? If so, what is the largest displacement I could go with while having the Nikasil coating? If I find that I need to replace the crank in my spare engine that this will be going on, should I stroke it? How much? Advantages/Disadvantages? Sorry for all of the questions... Thanks in advance!

trailwart
07-14-2007, 11:11 AM
i had the same question on my 330, i wanted to take it and bore to a 350 and i was told it would be to close to the head studs after the jug was bored, was told there is not enough to bore a 350 sleeve in it. now... this is what i was told, i might have been misinformed also?????

Kirt13
07-14-2007, 09:35 PM
I have the same motor......I can tell you that it stays plenty cool. It's a very good head and yes you can change the dome, but you can only use the Pro-X dome.

bushwesl
07-16-2007, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the responses!

DanW
07-16-2007, 01:55 PM
I'm running an ESR 330 for XC racing and the only time that it has gotten hot was yesterday when I broke my shifter off and I had to go for about 8 miles in 1st gear. Even then, it only boiled out about about 2 ounces of coolant. The 330 almost seems to run cooler than the stock cylinder on my previous 250R did...

zedicus00
07-16-2007, 03:39 PM
the pro-x jugs do run cooler then stock jugs, as there is more collant in them. and it also cools the exhaust area a lot better then stock.

the pro-x stuff uses the same jug for all the sleeves, so yes you could hav the jug bored for a 350 kit. usualy peeple will run an aluminum sleeve if they are going to run nikasil plating. the jug itsel does not hav the ears at the bottom. ive always wondered about just plating a jug and running it sleevless though.

the billet heads really dont add any cooling over the cast ones but they sure doo look cool. they hold a tiny bit more coolant so they MIGHT provide a tiny bit more cooling capacity.

if your worried a good set of inline coolers help, anything less then 10 fins is a waste of money though.

stroking adds power provided the rest of the engine is set up for it. port timing is adjusted, head recut. spacer plates, if set up right they are nice, u cant just through one in a engine and have it work out though.

bushwesl
07-20-2007, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by zedicus00

the pro-x stuff uses the same jug for all the sleeves, so yes you could hav the jug bored for a 350 kit.

I was told that you couldn't put a 350cc sleeve into a 330 cylinder because of where the head studs were located. Also, I was told that the head studs on the Pro-X 250/265/310 cylinders were all the same and were interchangeable, but the 330 cylinder the studs were a little further out, and the 350 cylinder the studs were further out yet. This is because the stud placement in the casting needs to be a good distance from the bore or where the outside of the sleeve will sit to retain strength so the stud won't pull out of the casting under presure. What do you think about this?

if your worried a good set of inline coolers help, anything less then 10 fins is a waste of money though.

I'm going to just use the Pro-X head, but I also have two 14 fin inline coolers and a PWR oversized radiator, and run Engine Ice, so I should be ok.

stroking adds power provided the rest of the engine is set up for it. port timing is adjusted, head recut. spacer plates, if set up right they are nice, u cant just through one in a engine and have it work out though.

Actually, I think I am going to be going with a stroker set up... It will be a little more expensive, but if I figure I'm going to be going big, I might as well go all out. If I do choose to go this route, I'll be sending my cylinder to Neil to have it re-ported for mid to high, and then have him adjust the port timing for the stroker crank.

For the people running the stroker setups, how do you like them? Worth it? How reliable are they, as this is a big factor in my decision? I'd like to be riding, more than wrenching ;)

I'm in no hurry for the motor, as I've got a fresh one right now, but I would like to see myself riding it next summer. I've got about a year to tinker around with this, so any guidance or recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks for the help,
Wes

zedicus00
07-20-2007, 06:10 PM
all pro-x cylenders are the same otherwise when u went to buy a head and domes it would be marked for the jug size. no where does that, all they ask is stock jug or procross jug. i can tell u when u get the 350 sleeve in it it gets quite thin up by the o-ring.

Kirt13
07-20-2007, 09:14 PM
all pro-x cylenders are the same otherwise when u went to buy a head and domes it would be marked for the jug size. no where does that, all they ask is stock jug or procross jug. i can tell u when u get the 350 sleeve in it it gets quite thin up by the o-ring.
Second that!