PDA

View Full Version : How can I get my motor clean?

zdowell
07-13-2007, 10:00 PM
Just bought it from a guy, and its pretty clean, but the motor looks like it baked some mud on there. Wondering if you guys know of some very strong cleaners to get the motor clean. I have simple green and i let it soak for a bit, but it didnt do very much.

EDIT: Was Also wondering, does anyone have pictures of their exhaust painted black? Mine is a tad bit rusty and I want to sand it and then get some high temp paint and paint it. Wondering how well it holds up?

CarGuy7a
07-13-2007, 10:51 PM
yeah simple green is good stuff. i usually use Purple Power clean which is pretty much the same stuff. the only thing i can think of is spray it on and maybe use an old tooth brush. i know urrrgghhh. but that's pretty much the only thing i can think of. wire brushing would just rip the paint off.

zdowell
07-13-2007, 11:18 PM
yeah, thats for sure. I will probably pick up a nice cleaning brush, and spray simple green all over the motor and give it a good scrubbing.

EX LONERIDER
07-14-2007, 01:30 AM
careful with some of that purple stuff and all degreasers in general... some stain aluminum and wont ever come clean.

i used a scotch brite pad... (the brown ones) and a paint mixer stick to get in the fins. i then took some sanding paper to the outter edges of the fins and sanded them down to shine them up. looks good.... i havent tried polishing the fins (might be more upkeep then i want)

definately a scotchbrite pad, and some penetrating oil. the oil will help make it shine when the pad scuffs the aluminum.

<DRS>GPF
07-14-2007, 06:22 AM
i used a concentrated industrial degreaser..

spray on, wait a few minutes, then some light scrubbing with a scotch pad.. repeat as needed.

2004exrider
07-14-2007, 07:51 AM
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j248/2004exrider/resized.jpg

stresy01
07-14-2007, 09:02 AM
HONDA BRIGHT

L0w3r55
07-14-2007, 09:10 AM
i did the high temp spray paint and it held up pretty well, it lasted for about a year and a half before i had to do it again but i sanded the pipe down all nice then put that crap on, i was pleased to say the least:devil:

07-14-2007, 10:17 AM
Use a powerwasher and a hand scrub mit with dishwasher detergent. My 400 looks like new.

my88r
07-14-2007, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by EX LONERIDER
careful with some of that purple stuff and all degreasers in general... some stain aluminum and wont ever come clean.

i used a scotch brite pad... (the brown ones) and a paint mixer stick to get in the fins. i then took some sanding paper to the outter edges of the fins and sanded them down to shine them up. looks good.... i havent tried polishing the fins (might be more upkeep then i want)

definately a scotchbrite pad, and some penetrating oil. the oil will help make it shine when the pad scuffs the aluminum.

can you post some pics of it.

jrm03
07-14-2007, 08:35 PM
Eagle One Mag Etching its acid based so be careful of painted surfaces. No scrubbing needed.

EX LONERIDER
07-15-2007, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by my88r
can you post some pics of it.

will do. ill get some up tomorrow for ya.

predracer
07-15-2007, 07:24 AM
take it of and have it sand blatsed and polished .it looks great plus it helpswith cooling

krt400ex
07-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by CarGuy7a
yeah simple green is good stuff. i usually use Purple Power clean which is pretty much the same stuff. the only thing i can think of is spray it on and maybe use an old tooth brush. i know urrrgghhh. but that's pretty much the only thing i can think of. wire brushing would just rip the paint off.

that is exactly what i do. i use simple green. works better than any other cleaner i have ever used