View Full Version : Aftermarket frame weight vs stock 86 weight?

JeremyKS
07-13-2007, 12:51 PM
What does a RPM aftermarket frame weigh compared to a stock 86 model frame?
Also what can you guys tell me about RPM frames?

JeremyKS
07-14-2007, 12:48 PM
ok how about other frames like LSR non Baja?

250Renvy
07-14-2007, 01:19 PM
I don't know the actual weight difference but I can assure you they are definitely lighter than stock.

racerx573
07-14-2007, 03:27 PM
Most aftermarket frames are heavier than stock. Even though they use chromoly, some are double walled tubing (Laeger). And many use other linkages which the mounts have additional gussets and the frames have additional gussets elsewhere as well. And when you get into complete chassis, they are also heavier, because of the extra materials used on additional widths of a-arms, axles, etc. The chromoly swingarms are of course going to be heavier than stock '88-'89.. The weight on the bikes are saved elsewhere, such as the exhaust... ever hold a stock exhaust in one hand and an aftermarket in the other? About a 10-15 pound difference on a complete system. Longer shocks will also contribute to more weight. The LRD aluminum I believe was the lightest frame released; Walsh or Roll was the heaviest. LSR MX frames were rather light but tend to break a lot, which is why many MXers used the Bajas. Overall weight of a decked MX bike is around or slightly under 350lbs. I will have to check some of my old mags when they still tested that thing we call a 250R.

JeremyKS
07-14-2007, 04:00 PM
Thanks the help... I was planning on using this bike for a dune / drag bike and wanted something lighter and thought maybe an aftermarket frame might be the ticket. Thanks
Jeremy

250Renvy
07-14-2007, 05:41 PM
I don't know are you sure? I have a stock and aftermarket frame(Laeger) and it feels a lot lighter than my stock 88.

I'm going to figure out how to weigh them and I'll get back to you.

racerx573
07-15-2007, 12:29 AM
The weight may feel lighter, but it could also be the geometry of how the frame is balanced.. an example of a similar type of weight/balance is the Alpinestars Tech 8's & 10's.. they weigh the same but the 10's are balanced differently so they feel lighter.. I know that's apples and oranges, but it's similar principles.

x.system
07-15-2007, 01:02 PM
I've got a stock 88 and a lonestar that are both bare and the lonestar is more than 5 pounds heavier. My stock frame is just over 40 pounds, the lonestar is just over 45 and I believe the LRD weighs in at 35 pounds. I don't have a real accurate scale but its definatly heavier than stock.

havinnoj
07-15-2007, 07:47 PM
go with an lsr tt frame or any other lightweight frame for duning (unless you jump a lot).

call john at sand toyz unlimited - he can fill you in on weights of lsr frames.

gojk
07-15-2007, 10:03 PM
LSR also makes a titanium MX frame for the 400ex (so I assume they do for the 250r also). And if I remember correctly, it weighs in at 17 or 19 lbs.