PDA

View Full Version : header wrap?

REDRIDDER
07-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Do any of you guys use it and why?what are your advantages of doing it obviously it keeps heat down but doesn't it also make the exhaust flow better cause of the insulating wrap traps the heat in,the hotter the exhaust the better the flow the quicker it escapes the better it breathes?could someone clear this up for me?

400exrider707
07-13-2007, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by REDRIDDER
Do any of you guys use it and why?what are your advantages of doing it obviously it keeps heat down but doesn't it also make the exhaust flow better cause of the insulating wrap traps the heat in,the hotter the exhaust the better the flow the quicker it escapes the better it breathes?could someone clear this up for me?

You pretty much nailed it on the head, but one thing to consider is it also holds a lot of moisture if you ride through water at all or even washing it down, and will cause head pipes to rot away.

REDRIDDER
07-13-2007, 11:52 AM
seal the header pipe with this.. how would that work lol... Brush-On High-Temp BBQ & Stove Paint

A high heat coating formulated with a unique blend of heat resistant pigments in a silicone polymer resin designed to beautify and protect any steel surface.

Ideal for wood, coal, pellet or corn burning stoves, pipe and other metal surfaces subjected to temperatures up to 1200° F.

16 oz. can.

#028-403 $12

400exrider707
07-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Ahhh its a waste of time... it looks great until you hit any mud with it then it cooks on right over and the headpipe starts looking like the rusty stocker again... A lot of people on here also complain about it not holding up just from the heat, but I never had a problem and I only used rattle can stuff.

Originally posted by REDRIDDER
seal the header pipe with this.. how would that work lol... Brush-On High-Temp BBQ & Stove Paint

A high heat coating formulated with a unique blend of heat resistant pigments in a silicone polymer resin designed to beautify and protect any steel surface.

Ideal for wood, coal, pellet or corn burning stoves, pipe and other metal surfaces subjected to temperatures up to 1200° F.

16 oz. can.

#028-403 $12

Kaleigh
07-13-2007, 06:06 PM
I only use it where my heat shield would be.. since my proC didnt have one..

DF400ex
07-13-2007, 07:17 PM
I have it done to my WB pipe and it looks great. I wire brushed my whole exhaust and then sprayed a few coats of high temp paint to seal the header from moisture. I then wrapped the header and sprayed a few coats of the protecting spray and it's been holding up great. You don't want to spray the crap out of it with a pressure washer, but it washes great, even the really baked on mud.

I haven't noticed a power gain, but it looks good and keeps me from burning my hand when checking the oil. IMO deff worth it if you do it right.

GOTFEAR
07-13-2007, 09:42 PM
i do know one thing if you dont have over heating problems you will if you wrap your header dont do it and the same with high heat paint black the high heat paint puts off tuns of heat the only thing you should use is ceramic coat.

DF400ex
07-14-2007, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by GOTFEAR
i do know one thing if you dont have over heating problems you will if you wrap your header dont do it and the same with high heat paint black the high heat paint puts off tuns of heat the only thing you should use is ceramic coat.

Well that doesn't make any sense. It channels the heat away from the engine better and keeps it in the pipes. I does not cause overheating or all the racers and drag racers wouldn't use it.

GOTFEAR
07-14-2007, 09:52 AM
ok you just said it DRAG RACING not racing or riding 10-30 minuts at a time. we use this for drag racing becouse we are needing heat fast like 1600 deg on the header.

GPracer2500
07-14-2007, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by GOTFEAR

How do you know that? And how are ceramic coatings ok but not other forms of insulation?

I can't think of any mechanism that would cause insulated headers to increase engine temps on a four stroke. Actually, I can only think of mechanisms that would have the opposite effect (cooler engine temps from: better cylinder scavenging and less heat soaking from the header back into the engine).

:confused:

REDRIDDER
07-14-2007, 05:47 PM
obviously it keeps heat down but it also makes the exhaust flow better cause of the insulating wrap traps the heat in,the hotter the exhaust the better the flow the quicker it escapes the better it breathes...

GOTFEAR
07-14-2007, 11:24 PM
hay man sounds like to me you have it all figuerd out im just posting my opinion and the things i have tried over the years (ceramic coating) but the thing is i have wraped dozens of pipes and i see a higher temp on air and water cooled but you might have somthing that works better

jfwyatt
07-15-2007, 07:18 PM
its not just for drag racing. ive seen it on both drag cars and nascars and i have noticed a very small drop.IE. 1-2 degrees in my oil temp in almost all riding conditions since i wraped my header.