View Full Version : Trx 250r stator and ignition?????

topdogjosh
07-12-2007, 11:47 PM
Im picking up my new to me 250r next week and I had a few questions. The bike I'm getting doesnt have headlites right now and Im going to want some on there. I will probably get the 35w bullet type lights from ebay. I know the factory stator is only 100w, so will this 70w power draw hurt the already week ignition of the 250r? Is it worth the investment for a 200w stator? Also, I'll probably be running a little heavy on the oil and some slower trail riding, so would an after market ignition coil help me from fowling spark plugs? Will I need the bigger stator for the aftermarket coil? Thanks for any help.

wilkin250r
07-13-2007, 03:58 AM
First off, the lighting and ignition are completely separate systems. A 70W draw for lights will not hurt or weaken the ignition, and a 200W stator will not boost the ignition.

If it doesn't have lights, first thing to check is to make sure it has a voltage regulator on it, and the proper wiring to hook up the lights. Otherwise, you have some work to do.

70W for lights is just fine on the stock stator, no worries at all.

A 200W stator is nice, but it has drawbacks. They suffer low voltage at low RPM, so at idle, your lights will be barely be on at all. With the stock stator, you lights get a little brighter and dimmer with RPMs, with a 200W stator, they really go up and down. For some people this is a problem, for others it is not.

I certainly wouldn't fork out the money for a 200W stator before you try it out with 35W lights.

topdogjosh
07-13-2007, 04:07 AM
The reason I said the draw from the lights might affect it was because of the coil. I was not sure if the stator had enough juice for the lights and the coil. Im not even sure what kind of draw the coil has, is it very minimal or what? Will an aftermarket coil give me a stronger spark, or do I have to change out the actual ignition>? Thanks for the help

deathman53
07-13-2007, 03:42 PM
an aftermarket stator has no effect on the ignition, as was stated already. Your lights have no effect on the igniton either, 2 of the poles are for ignition and the other 4?, I think, are for lighting.

wilkin250r
07-14-2007, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by topdogjosh
The reason I said the draw from the lights might affect it was because of the coil.

It's not like the old coils on the cars with the condensers and such. It doesn't work the same way.

With a CDI ignition, the stator has dedicated coils to charge the ignition, they are completely separate and independent from the stator output to the lights. And they are the same on ALL stators, whether stock 100W or aftermarket 200W. The ignition portion is the same.

Aftermarket coils will claim to boost the spark, but there is some debate whether it is a true boost, or just marketing hype.

However, there are many MANY people that run modified engines with the stock ignition, with no problems whatsoever, including yours truely.