PDA

View Full Version : Cam chain removel/install

awsomeaussies
07-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Trying to replace my cam chain and I have the top end removed. But from the looks of it, do I need to remove the clutch and clutch basket? Blah, any easier way around this?

JOEX
07-12-2007, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by awsomeaussies
Trying to replace my cam chain and I have the top end removed. But from the looks of it, do I need to remove the clutch and clutch basket? Blah, any easier way around this?
1. Yes
2. Not that I know of:(

EX LONERIDER
07-12-2007, 08:44 PM
must remove your clutch basket cus it sits against your primary. your cam chain sits behind the primary so yea, you kinda have to strip all that to pull the gears in order to clear the chain. kind of a pain but unless you want trouble down the road just get it done.

awsomeaussies
07-12-2007, 11:02 PM
Ok, thanks guys!:) Isn't there a specific way to put the chain on? I thought I read something about making sure some lines on the chain are suppose to line up with something. I'll take a closer look at my chain just to make sure. Also would I need to adjust the tensioner?

Sparky_20
07-12-2007, 11:40 PM
the tensioner is an auto adjust style. Use a small flat head screwdirver and tighten it until it seats. when your ready for tension just remove the screwdriver. Make sure when you take those gears off just remember the orientation of the washers behind the gears.

As far as the lines, make sure the two marks on the cam are flush with the head and the other mark is pointed up. The crank has a tdc mark on the flywheel on the left side of the motor. Remove the two plus with allens and spin the motor around until the tdc mark and the cam lines up.

Its not a bad idea to change out the cam chain tensioner while your there. Just did it myself

EX LONERIDER
07-13-2007, 05:39 AM
yup. pretty much what he said^^

when installing the tensioner, just make sure it works smoothly. simply hold the housing, screw in the center with a screwdriver (short small type preferably) and then once it bottoms, take the screwdriver out fast and make sure it "snaps" back (unwinds). if it dont snap back immediately or has hessitation to it, replace it. otherwise it will be fine. its not like they are hard to replace later on.

alighn your bike to Top Dead Center. your cam gear should have 3 marks. 2 of them should be level with the head. the other pointing straight up. (keep in mind your motor sits at a tilted forward angle so its going to point straight up from the level point on the head.) wiggle the cam into place and put the chain on.

you install the tensioner last. make sure you have a good gasket or a new one. screw the tensioner all the way in while holding the housing. once its bottomed out, work the tensioner in while holding the tensioner compressed with the screwdriver in place. hand tighten one screw all the way in and the other in far enough to keep it alighned. take the screwdriver holding the tensioner compressed out and make sure you hear it snap into place. if you didnt hear it, you can repeat the steps again. and that should be it!

awsomeaussies
07-13-2007, 09:14 AM
Wow the things the manual don't tell you about:o Thanks! That will help me out alot!:macho

awsomeaussies
07-17-2007, 04:25 PM
I'm trying to get the locknut off, so I can pull the basket off... but how do you keep the basket from spinning? I'll have to probably wait till I get another set of hands so someone can try to hold the basket or something.

JOEX
07-17-2007, 07:04 PM
I'm trying to get the locknut off, so I can pull the basket off... but how do you keep the basket from spinning? I'll have to probably wait till I get another set of hands so someone can try to hold the basket or something.
Pneumatic impact wrench:)

awsomeaussies
07-17-2007, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Pneumatic impact wrench:)

Haha I finally figured that out:macho Worked like a charm:D

EX LONERIDER
07-17-2007, 10:07 PM
umm, you might wanna do the primary lock nut first. place the bike in gear and then hit it with the impact, and then the clutch basket. i ddidnt have the special clutch tool so i did it this way to avoid holding anything with channel loks like some people suggest..:rolleyes:

Sparky_20
07-17-2007, 11:37 PM
just dont do what i did and try to mcguyver it too much and break the innter clutch hub :eek2:

awsomeaussies
07-18-2007, 10:18 AM
They both came off ok with the impact. I was able to hold the gears with my hand, while the impact took them off easily. Now putting them back on might be alittle harder with the torque wrench though. The manual said to replace the lock nut that's in the basket. Did any of you guys to that?

Sparky_20
07-18-2007, 10:59 AM
i didnt. Make sure when reinstalling everything you note the location and direction of the washers behind the nuts. Its very important that they go back in exactly how the came out.

As far as torquing the nuts, i wouldnt worry too much. I was able to torque the primary nut by having my friend hold the crank on the other end with a ratchet. The basket was the one that screwed me over. You could try putting it in gear, having someone stand on the rear end and pressing on the rear brake pedal so maybe it wont move but if I did it all over again I'd just use the impact wrench and blip it on real quick.

awsomeaussies
07-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Yeah I'll probably just torque them back on. And I made sure the washers went on the same way they came off. So I got my piston in and my cylinder on yesterday, so I'm almost there with the rebuild:macho

Sparky_20
07-18-2007, 07:59 PM
awesome. Did you bore the motor out a bit? Where do you ride around there? Im up north a ways and mostly ride at reiter pit

EX LONERIDER
07-18-2007, 08:38 PM
Yeah I'll probably just torque them back on. And I made sure the washers went on the same way they came off. So I got my piston in and my cylinder on yesterday, so I'm almost there with the rebuild:macho

make sure to coat the inside of the cylinder walls with oil when you do your install..... pretty much everything that touches metal you line it with oil. wrist pin, rings, cylinder, cam, and fill the pockets at the top end where the cam sits in too.

awsomeaussies
07-18-2007, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by EX LONERIDER
make sure to coat the inside of the cylinder walls with oil when you do your install..... pretty much everything that touches metal you line it with oil. wrist pin, rings, cylinder, cam, and fill the pockets at the top end where the cam sits in too.

I wasn't quite sure if I was supposed to coat the cylinder walls or not, but thankfully I did:) I also coated the outside of the rings too. So thanks for the tip, I'll make sure I coat just about everything now;)

awsomeaussies
07-18-2007, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Sparky_20
awesome. Did you bore the motor out a bit? Where do you ride around there? Im up north a ways and mostly ride at reiter pit

Yup, but a Powroll 416 kit in there. So hopefully that will satisfy me for a while:p
I haven't heard of reiter pit. I usually go to Straddle Line in Olympia. I don't know if you've been there, but the have a pretty decent track and alot of trails. It's pretty fun up there. I know there's a pretty new track not far from St. Helens that's supposed to be awesome! So hopefully I'll get a chance to check that out this summer.

EX LONERIDER
07-18-2007, 11:28 PM
no problemo. usually wanna do that for the initial start up since most of the oil is removed from the top end. gives some protection the first couple of seconds till the oil pressure builds up and starts lubing everything.