PDA

View Full Version : got a question..

yellow400ex05
07-12-2007, 06:16 PM
OK i had my quad redlined today by a retard friend of mine who revved it up and when he let off there was some black and maybe a bit of blue smoke that came out of my exhaust. I figured it was just carbon, and it can't be my rings because the quad is just a year old, because it was bought in April of 06', and i take care of it. And yes i did whack him in the head and called him a dumbass for doing it..

And incase your wondering I just changed my oil. And no, the only time it ever smokes is when its revved to the limiter then let off.

xxnightraven73x
07-12-2007, 06:20 PM
sounds like he burnt up the carbon in the head and probably had a lil oil seapage being at high rpm nothing to worry about

wilkin250r
07-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Let me steer you toward the correct train of thought.

You know it has a rev limiter. Why do you think that is?

Let's say, for example, that engine damage occurs at 10,000 RPM. Do you think the engineers are going to set the rev limit above or below that?

The rev limit kicks in BEFORE you run into dangerous territory. It's going to limit your engine speed to fairly safe levels, you shouldn't run into any problems bouncing off the rev limit every now and then.

The only time you'd have a problem is if you did in in 1st gear for an extended period of time and cause the engine to overheat, but that's because of excess HEAT, and it takes a little while for that to build up. For brief periods of time, you should be perfectly safe.

400exstud
07-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by yellow400ex05
OK i had my quad redlined today by a retard friend of mine who revved it up and when he let off there was some black and maybe a bit of blue smoke that came out of my exhaust. I figured it was just carbon, and it can't be my rings because the quad is just a year old, because it was bought in April of 06', and i take care of it. And yes i did whack him in the head and called him a dumbass for doing it..

And incase your wondering I just changed my oil. And no, the only time it ever smokes is when its revved to the limiter then let off.

Mine does it. My friend's does it. Nothing to worry about.