PDA

View Full Version : Width configuration help

250Renvy
07-12-2007, 09:27 AM
O.k. just looking for some help on width configuration.

As far as I know stock front is 42" wide and stock rear is 46" wide

I want to know which is a better configuration - Wider front than rear or even widening.

I have a -2 to +1 rear axle and a narrow front frame. I'm thinking of picking up a set of +3 A-arms and configuring it so I can go from XC width to MX width by changing offset wheels.

For XC I would keep the axle at Stock width and have 4/5 offset wheels and up front I would have +3 a-arms with 4/1 wheels making it +1 in front and stock back.

For MX I would go to 3/6 offset wheels in rear and 3/2 wheels in front making it +2 in rear and +4 in front. BUT I want to know if I use my rims reversed in front and have them at +6 in front and still only +2 in rear, Will that affect the handling.

IF I don't widen it evenly does it affect handling - good or bad.

Thanks

400exrider707
07-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Regardless of how wide the front is compared to the rear, anytime you put a wider offset wheel on the front, it will have a negative effect on handling. 4:1 is the best for handling, 3:2 is about what OEM is and OK, but still not as good as 4:1, and 2:3 rims or flipped OEM rims are not good for anything IMO. I do not recommend flipping rims, though what you are suggesting seems OK to keep it on a budget, and have the ability to switch back and forth.

Generally having the front a hair wider is better.