PDA

View Full Version : what is advantages and dis advantages of snorkel?

anabolicsman
07-11-2007, 08:38 PM
i currently have my snorkel off and thats because i bought it like that 01 400ex ! today my buddy said he was talkign with people that said put it on cause u get more air flow! so whats the positives and negatives of the snorkel? i ride with no air lid

TYayo420
07-11-2007, 11:29 PM
im not sure the logistics of it, but i dont think it does much of any difference no matter what anyone says, id like to see a dyno of it with it on and stock bike, and with it off stock bike, it is like the size hole as a dime, it cant let much ofany air in, plus with your lid off, that should be more then enough air, unless like someracers i know of, run with no airbox just a straight filter with a outwears cover to get the most airflow haha

but no matter what ppl say its all hear say but a dime size hole wont gain much maybe 1/3 HP

vett_09
07-12-2007, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by anabolicsman
i currently have my snorkel off and thats because i bought it like that 01 400ex ! today my buddy said he was talkign with people that said put it on cause u get more air flow! so whats the positives and negatives of the snorkel? i ride with no air lid

The purpose in the snorkel is so you can drive the quad through water. The snorkel on the 400ex runs up from the air box and under the gas tank. The hight difference allows you to run through deeper mud and water without getting any in the air box.

A lot of people remove the air box lid on their 400ex's to improve air flow. If you're running with your lid off right now, adding a snorkel isn't going to do anything for you performance wise.

REDRIDDER
07-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by vett_09
The purpose in the snorkel is so you can drive the quad through water. The snorkel on the 400ex runs up from the air box and under the gas tank. The hight difference allows you to run through deeper mud and water without getting any in the air box.

A lot of people remove the air box lid on their 400ex's to improve air flow. If you're running with your lid off right now, adding a snorkel isn't going to do anything for you performance wise. bingo

JOEX
07-12-2007, 04:23 PM
Not so sure about the deeper water theory...

I think it's positioned to get cleaner and cooler air into the motor.

ohioEX
07-12-2007, 04:27 PM
I just used a cap off of a can of spray paint to block mine off. I don't ride in mud or water, so it didn't matter to me.

CarGuy7a
07-12-2007, 07:03 PM
actually in high dust conditions i ended up with less dust in my airbox with an open lid then i did when i had the snorkel on.

also when my buddies that have the snorkels on run through water the steam gets sucked into the snorkel and they ran like crap for like 5 minutes. not good when trying to climb a hill right after the water. and it wasn't alot of water either just enough to steam a little. mine with the open lid blasted right through it.

check out my pictures in the thread titled K&N users please look.

Sparky_20
07-12-2007, 11:44 PM
you cant take these quads through 5 ft deep water. Be smart when riding and just know the limits with or without the snorkel. Personally I just leave it on