PDA

View Full Version : Rev Box

Hall400ex
07-11-2007, 04:05 PM
What do you guys think about rev box's, and what mods would you add before getting a rev box? Thanks

CarGuy7a
07-11-2007, 04:34 PM
they only up the limit 1,000 rpm's. usually a slip-on aftermarket exhaust and jet kit.

i've never even hit the stock rev box. IMO if the peak hp is reached b4 hitting the rev limiter, then an aftermarket rev box is pointless.

gcart2
07-11-2007, 04:50 PM
listen!u have a 400ex! it deonsnt pump out a lot of power!. u don't need 1 unless u drag race... and if u drag a 400ex ur kinda loco. they r a waste of money. ubless u have a god offal bike that has soooo much power u dont no what to do whith it. but u have a 400ex like me =) and dont need 1

buster024
07-11-2007, 05:21 PM
listen!u have a 400ex! it deonsnt pump out a lot of power!. u don't need 1 unless u drag race... and if u drag a 400ex ur kinda loco. they r a waste of money. ubless u have a god offal bike that has soooo much power u dont no what to do whith it. but u have a 400ex like me =) and dont need 1

No offense man, but I couldn't disagree more. The rev box was one of the best, easiest, and cheapest upgrades I made. The 400ex power plant, is a nice powerful motor. With a good rider, and a few upgrades, you can compete with most bikes out there, in most situations. You are probably never going to out drag a bigger bike no matter how much upgrading you do, but I can tell you that if you are familiar with your bike, you will notice a difference. If you ride stricly mx, you may not rev out high enough to fully utilize the new box. However, if you ride dunes, or do any dragging, you will assuredly see a difference.

Quick tip -- your stock battery will not like the new cdi box, especially if you it is not fully charged. When you get your new box, zip-tie your stock box to it. In the event of a cold start, you can plug your stock cdi back in, warm the engine, then switch it back after you have charged the battery.

GPracer2500
07-11-2007, 06:38 PM
I'm with him ^.

I used a White Brothers box with your basic 416, HC stg2, slip-on build. I did some experimenting in the dunes and immediately missed the extra revs when I swapped to the stock box. I was banging into the stock limiter all over the place.

For trails and other areas I don't think I'd miss the extra revs.

JOEX
07-11-2007, 08:51 PM
Don't some 'aftermarket' rev boxes for the 400ex also advance the timing in addition to increasing the rev limit?

It would be nice if someone has that info and able to post the differences of each rev box for the 400ex;) :)

TeamOMatic69
07-11-2007, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by gcart2
listen!u have a 400ex! it deonsnt pump out a lot of power!. u don't need 1 unless u drag race... and if u drag a 400ex ur kinda loco. they r a waste of money. ubless u have a god offal bike that has soooo much power u dont no what to do whith it. but u have a 400ex like me =) and dont need 1 how r they a waste of money if the big gun rev box adds 2hp? And its not the most expensive part you can get.

GPracer2500
07-11-2007, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Don't some 'aftermarket' rev boxes for the 400ex also advance the timing in addition to increasing the rev limit?

It would be nice if someone has that info and able to post the differences of each rev box for the 400ex;) :)

Yes, some of them do. Some of them are even programmable so you can tailor the ignition advance for your application.

For the simpler, run of the mill ignition boxes (WB, Big Gun, Sparks, Pro-Com, et al.) it's a mystery how the ignition advance is changed--if at all. I suspect some of them do add some degrees of advance and others don't. No one seems to really know. I've even asked a few manufactures and have never gotten a straight answer.

Someone should round up all the aftermarket CDIs and actually measure the ignition advance with a timing light to see what's what.

GPracer2500
07-11-2007, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by TeamOMatic69
how r they a waste of money if the big gun rev box adds 2hp?....

Really? 2hp? Wow. Please post the dyno runs or the time slips that show the increase. Thanks!

my88r
07-11-2007, 10:23 PM
what do you guys think of the sparks rev box. also does it help your first gear. because i noticed it when i put my full fmf. 1st reved out alot sooner.

TYayo420
07-11-2007, 10:55 PM
well what alot of you forgot to add is, a rev box well some are programable and some you can therefor program and the box will rev the bike out faster,so thatgains top speed faster if you get a good box

XXXRACER165
07-12-2007, 09:01 AM
I put a WB on mine cause my motor makes the best power tapped out.

TeamOMatic69
07-12-2007, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Really? 2hp? Wow. Please post the dyno runs or the time slips that show the increase. Thanks! I dont have one, it just says on big guns website that when you install the rev box, you will see and increase of 2hp which is good for the price.

REDRIDDER
07-12-2007, 01:05 PM
(Honda TRX400EX Rev Box

[40-R01] $99.95

Big Gun Rev Box TRX400EX (Fits all years up to 2004) Adds up to 3 horsepower once snapped in. Comes ready to install and go. Due to the nature of this application this rev box will rev out to unlimited! That means it will rev out as far as the motor will allow. )

(whitebrothers rev box Description
New for 2006. White Brothers has joined forces with Tokyo Mod’s to develop an exclusive line of ATV Ignition that do more than increase your peak RPM . Tokyo Mod’s specifications assisted Tim Farr in winning his 10th ATVA National Championship in 2005. Each box features a completely new ignition curve that delivers increased performance over the entire RPM range. The Digital signal and eternal throttle position sensor allow the box to forward a more precise ignition signal and hotter spark based on your vehicles RPM range. Each box is a direct replacement to the stock box. Simply plug in and go...)

(Description:

Honda - TRX400ex -1999 - 2005 Rev Max Ignition Module

Get the most out of your engine with Advantage performance Rev - Box. Each Rev Box improves the stock ignition advance for improved bottom and mid-range performance. Additionally, the rev-limit is raised between 750-1000rpm based on the engines requirments. These Rev Boxes unleash the potential of your motor, and are highly recommended to maximize performance levels for exhaust systems and intake modifications )
just some rev box info i found and wanted to share.

GPracer2500
07-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by TeamOMatic69
I dont have one, it just says on big guns website that when you install the rev box, you will see and increase of 2hp which is good for the price.

Big Gun says, "...Adds up to 3 horsepower..."

My point is that is an almost meaningless claim to me. They don't tell you what the box actually does to create those gains, nor do they tell you where the increase may be found in the powerband, nor do they tell you what other mods may be required to compliment their box. They'd like you to think that their box will make your 30hp engine into a 33hp engine--a highly unlikely result. What they actually say could mean anything which as far as I'm concerned means they said nothing.

They only specific information they provide is that the rev limiter is removed.

I'm not trying to come down on you--but it's a mistake to blindly believe every advertising claim actually means what you think it does. In my experience such unsubstantiated claims range from 1) representing the absolute best possible scenario that only a small fraction of machines will realize because of their specific settups, to 2) total hogwash dreamed up to get naive consumers to spend their money.

$0.02

GPracer2500
07-12-2007, 01:29 PM
At least WB and Rev Max give some sense of what their boxes are actually doing. Although I still wish they would tell us exactly how they change the ignition advance curves. Dyna and MSD are the only 400EX CDIs that I'm aware of that provide specific information about the curves. The Vortex unit may also but I've never seen the manual for one of those.

CarGuy7a
07-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by REDRIDDER
(Honda TRX400EX Rev Box
(whitebrothers rev box Description
New for 2006. White Brothers has joined forces with Tokyo Mod’s to develop an exclusive line of ATV Ignition that do more than increase your peak RPM . Tokyo Mod’s specifications assisted Tim Farr in winning his 10th ATVA National Championship in 2005. Each box features a completely new ignition curve that delivers increased performance over the entire RPM range. The Digital signal and eternal throttle position sensor allow the box to forward a more precise ignition signal and hotter spark based on your vehicles RPM range. Each box is a direct replacement to the stock box. Simply plug in and go...)

i emailed the guy at WB about that box ^^^^ he told me they don't make it anymore. but i think they do make just the regular rev box that's not programmable.

as far as the Sparks rev box this description is straight from www.sparksracing.com

1000 RPM higher than stock, This High Rev CDI makes the 400 EX come alive. It works great with the Sparks Ingition advance key on a stock motor. The CDI also work great on wild motors too.

if i was going to do one i'd prob get the sparks and the advance key kit.

H_W
07-12-2007, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by my88r
what do you guys think of the sparks rev box. also does it help your first gear. because i noticed it when i put my full fmf. 1st reved out alot sooner.

It lets the motor rev up to a higher rpm. It doesn't matter what gear.

my88r
07-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by H_W
It lets the motor rev up to a higher rpm. It doesn't matter what gear.

no really. i know that

ohioEX
07-12-2007, 04:31 PM
I picked up a Clark's rev box at my local dealer for $50. It was the best $50 I've ever put into my quad. It pulls a lot harder on low and midrange and rev's higher so I can hold a gear longer on the straight aways. I race MX with my quad and it's easier to keep up with the 450s now. I can't see where you can go wrong if you get a good deal on one.

dariusld
07-12-2007, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by ohioEX
I race MX with my quad and it's easier to keep up with the 450s now.

If I add a rev box, I will keep up with 450's.;)

XXXRACER165
07-12-2007, 06:04 PM
LMAO!:rolleyes:

TeamOMatic69
07-12-2007, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Big Gun says, "...Adds up to 3 horsepower..."

My point is that is an almost meaningless claim to me. They don't tell you what the box actually does to create those gains, nor do they tell you where the increase may be found in the powerband, nor do they tell you what other mods may be required to compliment their box. They'd like you to think that their box will make your 30hp engine into a 33hp engine--a highly unlikely result. What they actually say could mean anything which as far as I'm concerned means they said nothing.

They only specific information they provide is that the rev limiter is removed.

I'm not trying to come down on you--but it's a mistake to blindly believe every advertising claim actually means what you think it does. In my experience such unsubstantiated claims range from 1) representing the absolute best possible scenario that only a small fraction of machines will realize because of their specific settups, to 2) total hogwash dreamed up to get naive consumers to spend their money.

$0.02 The only way we could find out if this is true is if we had it. For all we know, i could be a heap of **** or, it could be the best invention ever. I dont know because ive never had one, im just saying what the website says.