PDA

View Full Version : ??????????????????

yellowrider
10-23-2002, 04:58 AM
hey anyways today i was ridden with a couple more 400exs' and they told me that if i lighten my flywheel it would be harder to climb hills but rev faster...

like i could go up a gear without downshifting...

why it didnt make any since to me is because

* if you go in a higher gear sometimes without lugging.. why would it be any different climbing hills... cause maybe it is just me but i really dont like down shifting on hills cause you are taking a risk of hitting neutral .. i really hate that feeling... Dont you ?

anyways if i lightend my flywheel up how much will that help or hurt me in the woods...

____ also i did alot of research on boring a 400 out.. and this is what i came up with...

the bigger the piston the more torque you have...
for example 440 more torque and 416 revs faster...

well why not keep stock bore and just bump the compression? and add a low to mid range cam.... and be screaming on top end casue it revs so faster than the regular 416 or 440....

could someone please explain this to me before i go nuTs!!!

MOUSE
10-23-2002, 05:57 AM
well i do know that lightening the flywheel will make you stall easier, what your doing is reducing the weight therefore it takes less force to turn it over this = faster reving (lamens terms).

the reason you will stall faster is because of the same reason. you have reduced the centrifical force of the flywheel, you know when your just lugging around in first or second and you dont really have to hold the clutch to keep her from stalling. well reduce the weight of the flywheel and you have less centrifical force to keep the engine turning over.

if im wrong in any of this someone correct me :blah

and remember there is no replacement for displacement :macho

YZROOSTINYA
10-23-2002, 06:27 AM
you are correct mouse, that why enduro bikes have heavier flywheels like the wr and kdx, it helps to eliminate the peakiness of the motor and gets more power to the ground by trying to eliminate surges of power resulting in wheelspin which is something you do not want when riding over stumps and slippery rocks.

yellowrider
10-23-2002, 03:41 PM
thank you for clearing that up for me