PDA

View Full Version : Photographers (pappy, QJ, VWspeedfreak)

416exfreak
07-11-2007, 11:35 AM
Been wanting to get into photography for quite some time, ive been looking around. Ive found thsi camera, which i think i s a good deal, but i was wanting some input from the photgrpahers on this site....

Any help would be appreicated

Thanks,
Justin

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Canon-Powershot-A540-6MP-Digital-Camera-w-Bonus/2292581/product.html?IID=prod2292581

PS-this is just a starter camera....the most i can spend is about 250-275...:ermm:

gbcap
07-11-2007, 11:54 AM
look at a fuji s7000 on ebay. i have that camera and i like it. very simple to use and gives MUCH better pictures then one of those smaller cameras will.

if you can save another 250 you can start with a base level d40 and get a TONS better camera then either one.

Pappy
07-11-2007, 02:01 PM
canon rebel, Nikon d40 d70s etc would be the lowest i would recommend. i dont use anything below professional grade so i cant comment on how well they work but the ones i listed will be great beginner units

mxdad
07-11-2007, 02:18 PM
My opinion is that you will be very dissapointed in the zoom on this camera. I have a Canon PowerShot S2IS and it is nice but I would like more zoom. The Powershot S3 IS is even nicer http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Canon-Powershot-S3-IS-6MP-Digital-Camera/2346472/product.html?IID=prod2346472 I know you said you could only spend 250-275 but Best Buy has this camera for 350 and I'm sure you could find it cheaper somewhere else. Personally, I am getting ready to move up to the Canon Rebel that pappy mentioned and wvspeedfreak has but if I had to buy another piont & shoot it would be the one linked above.

OutlawBill
07-11-2007, 02:19 PM
check out to get some idea how they compare
http://www.dpreview.com/

Ghost-Rider
07-11-2007, 02:27 PM
Not to hijack your thread but since you photographers are here my camera is 12 mega pixels and the images still come out kind of grainy and such any tips on how to help fix this?

Expample.

Pappy
07-11-2007, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Ghost-Rider
Not to hijack your thread but since you photographers are here my camera is 12 mega pixels and the images still come out kind of grainy and such any tips on how to help fix this?

Expample.

what camera and lens is it and post the EXIF data

Ghost-Rider
07-11-2007, 02:47 PM
Its a Panasonic Lumix

Model No. DMC-FZ7

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz7/

Mine is the silver one.

Pappy
07-11-2007, 02:53 PM
its states yours is 6 mp not 12

a guess without you providing any data behind the shot....

1. auto film speed set speed very high iso and grain showed

2. attempt in post processing to sharpen or edit caused issue

3. water droplets enhanced flash?(not sure due to wife chopping onions...lol)

4) improper effect setting in camera

kind of hard to just geuss

wvspeedfreak
07-11-2007, 03:35 PM
I use the Canon Rebel series and I have no complaints with it other than they don't hold up too well being dropped from the roof of your house onto a brick patio :D .It would be hard to go wrong with any of the entry level DSLR's availible today.Alot of it has to do with personal preference.They will all take good pics with some practice.
Go to a camera store and hold as many as you can and buy the one that feels most comfortable.The Canon rebels are a little small for someone with big hands.The Nikons are larger bodied.

416exfreak
07-11-2007, 04:29 PM
Well, fellas...your going to disagree here, btu i really cant fork out 500 bucks for a camera right now. Im in the process of rebuilding my engine for the 5th time!!!!:mad:

And im also saving up for a new guitar, as my ibanez is getting ready to be retired...Im thinking Jackson RR3:blah:

Anyways, i ordered the camera that i posted the link to, which most of you will consider a bad decision...but oh well...when i turn 16 next summer and have a steady job for income, ill go get a nice DSLR, until then im gonna be using my point and shoot...:)

Thank you all for your input, it was very appreciated!

Justin

Pappy
07-11-2007, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
they don't hold up too well being dropped from the roof of your house onto a brick patio :D

Nikon makes a unit for the military that will:devil:

07250ex
07-11-2007, 05:01 PM
pappy what kind of camera do you have?

Pappy
07-11-2007, 05:03 PM
I shoot Nikon D200's

07250ex
07-11-2007, 05:08 PM
how much do they cost?

Pappy
07-11-2007, 05:09 PM
The D200 body is around $1500

07250ex
07-11-2007, 05:21 PM
body as in no stand?

Pappy
07-11-2007, 05:27 PM
no, body as in the camera with no lens, no card, etc. a basic D200 kit will run you $2300 or so depending on the lens. I shoot only prime lenses, cheapest of which runs just over $1300, most expensive $4500....kind of crazy aint it, and the D200 is not the most expensive camera nikon offers..lol

Merriman
07-11-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
what camera and lens is it and post the EXIF data

Pappy,

You should use mozilla firefoxto view the internet. It does great things like display the exif infor of what ever picture you want....unless the info has been specifically blocked.

Here is the exif info for that particular picture ;)

Exif IFD0

* Camera Make = Panasonic
* Camera Model = DMC-FZ7
* Picture Orientation = normal (1)
* X-Resolution = 72/1 = 72.00
* Y-Resolution = 72/1 = 72.00
* X/Y-Resolution Unit = inch (2)
* Software/Firmware Version = Ver.1.0
* Last Modified Date/Time = 2007:06:27 16:15:02
* Y/Cb/Cr Positioning (Subsampling) = co-sited / datum point (2)
* Unknown tag: Tagnum = 0xc4a5 ===> data =
Exif Sub IFD

* Exposure Time (1 / Shutter Speed) = 10/300 second = 0.03333 second
* Lens F-Number/F-Stop = 28/10 = F2.80
* Exposure Program = normal program (2)
* ISO Speed Ratings = 100
* Exif Version = 0220
* Original Date/Time = 2007:06:27 16:15:02
* Digitization Date/Time = 2007:06:27 16:15:02
* Components Configuration = 0x01,0x02,0x03,0x00 / YCbCr
* Compressed Bits per Pixel = 2/1 = 2.00
* Exposure Bias (EV) = 0/100 = 0.00
* Max Aperture Value (APEX) = 30/10 = 3.00
Max Aperture = F2.83
* Metering Mode = pattern / multi-segment (5)
* Light Source / White Balance = unknown (0)
* Flash = Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
* Focal Length = 60/10 mm = 6.00

BTW I use canon camera's and the new rebels are very nice. The pro-sumer camera's are very user friendly and anymore the options and features they have seem to be fading out the manual mode for the everyday picture snapper.

And as far as that camera is concerned I would not get it. If you want a "point and shoot" so start with, buy one that is super SMALL, and can shoot some video too. That way once you get a better camera, you cans till carry that one in your pocket when you hit up the bars with your friends!

My wife has a Canon Power Shot SD600 and it works real well for what it is and the video quality is great!

Pappy
07-11-2007, 05:35 PM
no clue on where to get that program merriman:p

from the looks of the data however, f2.8 with alot of backlight may be the cause. maybe he can post a larger picture.

Merriman
07-11-2007, 06:03 PM
no clue on where to get that program merriman:p

Allow me to introduce you to another cool program called Google (http://www.google.com) :D

wvspeedfreak
07-11-2007, 06:05 PM
Nikon makes a unit for the military that will:devil:

I just need to keep my arse off the roof :p

Pappy
07-11-2007, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Merriman
Allow me to introduce you to another cool program called Google (http://www.google.com) :D

i found it, but i corrected your typing as google didnt like it the way you spelled it...lol

CDALEMX301
07-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Hey photo gurus....My sister and my gf both just bought the Cannon Rebel XTi i think or XT anyway here is the issue....We have been riding at www.mototownusa.com lately this track is indoor and we cant seem to get photos that are as crisp as outside even playing with ISO and shutter speed any suggestions the pictures tend to come in blurry either the rider is clear and background very blurry or vise versa....

Pappy
07-11-2007, 09:48 PM
low light is the issue, a faster lens, off camera flash, pan with the subject etc all will help. if your using a kit lens then it probably only opens to 3.5 or so at its widest setting and zoom level. even the high end cameras wont do the job with out light in that situation unless you atleast add an external flash

you could go spend $1000 and get some strobes and remote slaves...lol

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1200/755834044_4dd2c6f895_b.jpg

pro-rider46
07-11-2007, 11:52 PM

pro-rider46
07-11-2007, 11:53 PM
hey pappy is the sony cyber shot a good camera. i think it is like 7.5 mega pixels it seems to take great pictures

QuadJunkies
07-12-2007, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by CDALEMX301
Hey photo gurus....My sister and my gf both just bought the Cannon Rebel XTi i think or XT anyway here is the issue....We have been riding at www.mototownusa.com lately this track is indoor and we cant seem to get photos that are as crisp as outside even playing with ISO and shutter speed any suggestions the pictures tend to come in blurry either the rider is clear and background very blurry or vise versa....
Pappy is correct on the lense.
Also, what lense are shooting indoors with?Thats a HUGE piece of the pie . I bought a 2.8 70/200 lense so that I could have a faster lense for indoor shooting.Flash is tricky indoors too with any exhaust youmay pick up with flash.I swear if anything out there photo wise... this is my mission in life to conquer! lol
Fluorescents are a real PITA and even with a good lense its very tricky and I always find your fighting grain with stadium shots,
but in upgrading to a faster lense, you will notice a big improvement .
And for those who want crisp photos ...
dont buy a point and shoot for fast action shots.
You will be very sadly dissapointed. ..
Save up for a few hundred more .its worth the upgrade:)
:p
I shoot with the Rebel XT .
You can pick up the Rebel now days for a very nice price.

QuadJunkies
07-12-2007, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
hey pappy is the sony cyber shot a good camera. i think it is like 7.5 mega pixels it seems to take great pictures

I owned 3sony cybershots......GARBAGE

All under warrenty and replaced them all in 1.5 years

POS IMO.:ermm:

Pappy
07-12-2007, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies

Fluorescents are a real PITA and even with a good lense its very tricky

try using a green gel over the flash;)

CDALEMX301
07-12-2007, 09:46 AM
For point and shoot cameras my family uses Canon...We are in the real estate market we take a lot of pictures...They do ok in good lighting outside for riding shots as well...I have the SD600 I think the other two we have are 630 or 650s...My gf has a Cyber shot and I think the Canon is better hands down...

QuadJunkies
07-12-2007, 10:36 AM
try using a green gel over the flash;)
Green gel??What the heck is thatand what does it do? I have never heard of using gel on my lense before :p lol \
Interesting !!:)...

Will this also reduce the blue tint from the exhaust fumes the flash pics up too?
this is one thing I hated ...I get great lighting, but ALOTof blue. Its like trading one evil for another .
When FT season comes, Ill have to post up a few pics with flash and settings and see if there is a way to minimize it. I had plannedon that on a photo forum as well.
Flash still has me a little puzzled at times and I have little time to learn right now :ermm:

pro-rider46
07-12-2007, 01:32 PM
here is a pic of my quad using the cybershot, looks like a good picture

Pappy
07-12-2007, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
Green gel??What the heck is thatand what does it do? I have never heard of using gel on my lense before :p lol \
Interesting !!:)...

different light sources require filtration via the flash to correct them. flouresant, tungsten, house hold lighst etc all provide photos with a different "temperature (Kelvin scale) While you can correct for this in camera, when you add flash it needs corrected as well. The Nikon flash units include the gels (small film like piece that mounts infront of flash) and I believe the higher end canon units as well. You can by them or sheets of CTO and cut your own for adding color as well if light correction isnt required.

As far as the TT/FT, if I were shooting alot of it I would use remote flash units set up prior to the race and adjusted inbetween heats etc. The exhaust fumes are part of the action, but if your refering to the overall smoke in the arena....ventilation is probably the only answer. The direction in which the exhaust is photographed can play into as well, this is the only shot out of 30 some that showed smoke.

QuadJunkies
07-12-2007, 02:37 PM
I must have deleted all my FT photos :(
I had a few decent ones, but the blue tint of the fumes was so harsh that it actually seemed to shoot better W/O the flash and have less light.
Ventilation is not good also here for sure, this is a Winter track and its usually in the 20's-which also sucks for battery life too!:scary:
Its also a small arena and with all the Karts out there... well... you see what Im getting at Im sure . lol
I think the best mode I had on my camera for the arena was using the" P"mode . I think 1 out of about 7 would turnout OK 1 and a handful turned out GOOD out of a few hundred.:p
Blur was tough on this track for sure and made it fusterating but I WILL get good ones this year!!:macho