PDA

View Full Version : 04 400ex what to look for before buying

Grizzlytrap
07-10-2007, 06:12 PM
I am looking at this as a beater. Clean, driven to church only..:devil:

What do I need to look for other then the powerband rubbing the case and the muffler bearing rattle.

Have yet to see it, but he said it clean..well see..

Just need to know the common problems. Thanks

gcart2
07-10-2007, 06:40 PM
its a Honda. if it fires up u have a reliable bike. lol. ummmmm check the frame for cracks... thats just about all i could think of.

XXXRACER165
07-10-2007, 06:47 PM
Check the wheel bearings too.

GOTFEAR
07-10-2007, 11:04 PM
driping oil out the pipe

casey_lamm
07-11-2007, 09:04 PM
I would check the oil level and also check it for water...seems some dishonest people try to unload these after bathing them in stream and lakes. It would b e a concern if you find any...

Otherthing...like someone said cracks in the frame...but when you ride it make sure it doesn't pull bad...it could be something simple, tire pressure, but could also be bent axle, frame, and so on.

you could pull the spark plug and just make sure its not white indicating its been run lean...but this really isn't the best way to see if its been beat on...it just quick.

If he claims low mileage back it up by the things that would indicate he is telling the truth.

Low milage- look at the handle bar grips...are they worn? Look at tires for little spike things...and for factory orange strip if in the case you are told it was never riden...

hope this helps...i just bought my 07 used from a guy and tried to go over it the best I can. But you also have to remember its one of the most reliable bikes honda makes...so its probably fine.

Originally posted by Grizzlytrap
I am looking at this as a beater. Clean, driven to church only..:devil:

What do I need to look for other then the powerband rubbing the case and the muffler bearing rattle.

Have yet to see it, but he said it clean..well see..

Just need to know the common problems. Thanks

TYayo420
07-11-2007, 11:21 PM
um grips wear in 3 months or less if there cheapies...so that dont prove too much...also if he says raced, that doesnt make a diff to most ppl, cuz ppl dont think racers take care of their bikeds, even tho a quad only used for racing is less wear on it cuz think abt it, 3 hours a week at most on it, heat, race and practice, i know i change my oil every race, take apart moving items and grease them up compared to any trail buddy i have, they just gas and go change the opil 1 maybe 2 times a year and use cheap *** bumb gas

casey_lamm
07-12-2007, 06:22 AM
All im saying is that for all the local used quads I see for sale...i haven't seen one yet that wasn't advertised as low hours... or like brand new. Im just saying be skeptical. But keep your finding in perspective for the bike...its really a great quad...

Originally posted by TYayo420
um grips wear in 3 months or less if there cheapies...so that dont prove too much...also if he says raced, that doesnt make a diff to most ppl, cuz ppl dont think racers take care of their bikeds, even tho a quad only used for racing is less wear on it cuz think abt it, 3 hours a week at most on it, heat, race and practice, i know i change my oil every race, take apart moving items and grease them up compared to any trail buddy i have, they just gas and go change the opil 1 maybe 2 times a year and use cheap *** bumb gas

400exdriver_201
07-12-2007, 10:30 AM
well test ride it first and make sure there is no wierd sounds then cueck fo loose or bent fenders or bent clutch and brake levers to see if it has been crashed

250x_kyle
07-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by gcart2
its a Honda. if it fires up u have a reliable bike. lol. ummmmm check the frame for cracks... thats just about all i could think of.

no neccesarily. i bought my 400 it fired up fine. but the valves knocked the cam chain was streched. and it was also leaking from the back side of the base gasket between the motor and shock was a puddle of oil. didnt notice till i got it home and it dripped on the floor. jus listen to it if u hear a loud knocking its possibly a streched cam chain but more than likely valves need cheked. wheel bearins are a must check. have some one lift it off the ground make sure theres no play in the axle carrier

MO-EX-RIDER
07-12-2007, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by TYayo420
also if he says raced, that doesnt make a diff to most ppl, cuz ppl dont think racers take care of their bikeds, even tho a quad only used for racing is less wear on it cuz think abt it, 3 hours a week at most on it, heat, race and practice, i know i change my oil every race, take apart moving items and grease them up compared to any trail buddy i have, they just gas and go change the opil 1 maybe 2 times a year and use cheap *** bumb gas

amen to this..i rarely ride for fun. i race it and maintain it better than my vehicles........75+ abusive hours and still runs like a champ.
btw- like everyone said look at bearings, brake pads, tires, and i always look at the frame rails by pegs and cases to see how worn they are....under 30 hours mine look good still:D