PDA

View Full Version : Can somebody do a qiuck mesurment for me?

pdxbigfoot
07-10-2007, 05:28 PM
Hi all!Im in the process of ordering some black delrin rod stock to machine some bushings for my stock a-arms.The thing is the arms are at the bead blaster(45min away) and because of the heat here he went home early(of course,hes had my parts for 3 weeks now)=slacker!!!Anyway can someone mesure the inside diameter of the a-arm bushing surface.I almost hit the "buy now"on some 1"1/4 rod stock but with my luck lately they would fall right through.I have access to a metal lathe and i figure bigger is better because i can machine it down to fit but i wanted to be sure.....Thank you all for the help....J

Aceman
07-10-2007, 06:05 PM
I don't have stock arms but my lower Houser arms are 1" OD. You need the rod stock to be at least the same outside diameter as your arms so you'll have a spacer between the arms and the mount, if you know what I'm saying. If you only put bushings on the inside of the arm you will have a gap making your arms slide back and forth about a 1/4." After machining they look like a top hat, you have 4 bushings per arm pressed in from each side.

86 Quad R
07-10-2007, 08:18 PM
i assume you are trying to design the bushings around the 86 style or are you dealing with 88-89?

aceman is currect at what he is saying if the bushings are to be designed in the manner he describes if you are trying to design a single bushing that will be pressed through each hinge point you'll need to use stock hinge pins or machine new ones if your current ones are worn.

i went through this process a few years back when i had some made from brass. if you design/build them around OEM specs you'll be able to use OEM seal caps aswell.

pdxbigfoot
07-10-2007, 09:31 PM
Yes they are 86 arms and i am going to fabricate the top hat design.I should be fairly safe with 1"1/4 rod then i can mill down to 1" or so and leave the 1"1/4 flare on both sides...thanx you guys.....J

86 Quad R
07-11-2007, 07:07 AM
sooo are ya gonna have the tolerances set so that you allow the a-arm to pivot the bushing or pivot the bolt or have a hinge pin?

pdxbigfoot
07-11-2007, 09:53 AM
to pivot the bolt and have the delrin surround the spacer and "take up room"on the ends of the a-arm pivot....is this the right way to do this??I just cant see spending $86.00 for bushings per arm when i can fabricate something most likely stronger and smarter....???

86 Quad R
07-11-2007, 10:02 AM
that should be fine but i'm partial to having the bushing to pivot on a stock hinge pin. i dont see why your method wouldnt work tho. good luck with it.

i hear what your saying about the hi-dollar off the shelf stuff :mad: