PDA

View Full Version : shock questions

kawabunga
07-10-2007, 04:06 PM
hello all, i have a shock issue.
i've been running the stock shock on my 450 because that was on it when i bought it. the quad is an '04 and it has been raced a few seasons and it is apparent that the shock is need of a rebuild. i found out today that the stock shocks are not rebuildable from my local honda dealer. i wasn't looking to get anything fancy done, just a refreshing. now that i can't do that, i need to do something else.
i was wondering what my options are and what other people such as yourself have done. i am a college student so funds are not the highest, however, i want to ride.
i know i could send my shock out to some shop like GT Thunder or others and get it re-valved, but how much does that cost exactly?
i've also found some used, take-off, rear shocks on ebay and on forums that go for a decent price, but would it be more worth it to send it out?
and then there's always aftermarket, but i could only afford used again.
i'd appreciate any input and opinions on what to do, my other susupension mods are Long Travel Lonestar +2 a-arms with Fox Float Evols and the swingarm is stock with a +4 axle, if that helps to determine what to do.
also, which year rear shocks will fit on my '04?
thanks
kawabunga

Sjorge450R
07-10-2007, 04:19 PM
its usual for a dealer to lie to you. I CAN get the shocks rebuilt. In fact, theres like 10 companys that will respring/revalve the stock shocks for under $1000 for all 3 including a new linkage. Derisi seem to be th emost popular and cheapest. He just got mine and returned them to me in under 2 weeks. They went out on a monday, came back the following friday. I love it. He called me, let me know how everything was going. I got the shocks and i rode them, let me tell you, he knows that he is doing. Great guy with great support and service. Price is 745 with linkage

Then there is GT, which all i hear is negative about. Long wait times, no way of getting a hold of him. Doesnt seem like the guy i want handling my shocks.

Then there is COlby. If Santo didnt help me out, Colby would have been the one doing my shocks. I think he charges 800 and uses the stock linkage.

TRX450RACER174
07-10-2007, 04:40 PM
I recently also had Derisi redo mine after a bad experience with Gt Thunder, I am not going to bash them but he was willing to work with me and was fair on the price of what he did, you will get alot of different opinions lots of people have had good luck with Gt but i have not and chose to send my shocks to Derisi which i am very happy with.

kawabunga
07-10-2007, 06:23 PM
$700 is more than i can throw at my wheeler right now. are there different options that come with getting shocks revalved that make it cheaper? like not including the linkage? or is that something that goes along with the shock otherwise it wouldn't work as well as it could?
right now i'm really leaning towards buying a used stock one, mostly because of the money. unless someone has some info on less expensive rebuilds from somewhere.

TRX450RACER174
07-10-2007, 06:52 PM
If you all ready have fronts i would think you are at $400 max w/linkage for the rear through Gt or Derisi but i would just call them and find out for sure, if you go buy another stock shock you are in the the same boat just save your money and do the rear with the link trust me you will be very happy. As far as rear shock 04-05 is it 06-07 the subframe is different and so is the shock, like i said just do the conversion you will be much happier.

honda4life72
07-11-2007, 05:43 AM
if your only geting the rear done , it will only be like 400 bucks with the link.

kawabunga
07-11-2007, 06:11 AM
i know if i get another stock one, i'll be in the same boat as before, only i'll have a good shock instead of one that needs a rebuild.
probably the biggest influence in this decision is money.

what's the difference between the stock linkage and one that i would get with the rebuild?

400exrider707
07-11-2007, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by kawabunga
i know if i get another stock one, i'll be in the same boat as before, only i'll have a good shock instead of one that needs a rebuild.
probably the biggest influence in this decision is money.

what's the difference between the stock linkage and one that i would get with the rebuild?

Like the difference between riding in a gremlin offroad or a trophy truck.... actually the difference is probably bigger than that... I cant believe you've gone this long on a stock shock, the stock rear end setup is terrible. The GT Thunder conversion with the linkage is like $350 and money well worth it! I'm riding on rebuilds all around and prefer my rebuilds to my buddys full elka/LSR long travel front/rear quad.

07-11-2007, 06:29 AM
your dealer lied, all 3 shocks on a 450r ARE rebuildable

the rear linkage takes the buck from the rear end...and needs to have the shock revalved...the linkage that gets replaced is the part that connect to the bottom of the shock and to the frame near the engine.

to clear up some of my confusion, do you want/need fronts and rear shocks, or just the rear shock?

if it is just the rear, you can have it rebuilt to work with the stock linkage...gt thunder is $75 plus parts to for just a rebuild/service

his cost for just a service/rebuild of the front shocks is $55 PER SHOCk plus parts.

i won an ebay auction for the gt thunder rear link, it was used, but looked brand new and i got less than half the price...$71 shipped...the revalve ran me $184...i shipped the shock on a tuesday and it was delivered to me on the following tuesday.

I also recently had derisi revalve and respring my front shocks. the total on that was $447, but again, that was more than just a simple rebuild. i sent those shocks out on a monday and got them back 3 weeks later on a friday

Rulz
07-11-2007, 07:31 AM
Nobody knows shocks better than Johnny Hale - http://j-hracing.com/products.htm#aarms

He does a ZPS conversion on the TRX for $575!!

400exrider707
07-11-2007, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by Rulz
Nobody knows shocks better than Johnny Hale - http://j-hracing.com/products.htm#aarms

That price does not include any valving, all that is, is new fluids (a shock service) and springs. That wont really help as much as a full on rebuild/revalve.

07-11-2007, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
That price does not include any valving, all that is, is new fluids (a shock service) and springs. That wont really help as much as a full on rebuild/revalve.

exactly, but i think all this guy wants is to have a decent set of shocks...he was happy with he stockers and it seems that he don't have oodles of cash to throw at a revalve for all 3, even though that would be his best bet...

400exrider707
07-11-2007, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by speedyquad
exactly, but i think all this guy wants is to have a decent set of shocks...he was happy with he stockers and it seems that he don't have oodles of cash to throw at a revalve for all 3, even though that would be his best bet...

If you read carefully he has float evols LT on the front and a stock rear. That sounds like a terrible combo hahahaha. That front end with a GT rear end would be killer. He only needs to get the rear done.

07-11-2007, 07:51 AM
i missed that part...too much work not enough time to sleep or play...he should go for the revalve/link then...that would be great set up...

and he needs to go tell his dealer to get his head out of the dark place...

400exrider707
07-11-2007, 08:21 AM
i missed that part...too much work not enough time to sleep or play...he should go for the revalve/link then...that would be great set up...

and he needs to go tell his dealer to get his head out of the dark place...

agreed on all accounts!

Perhaps his dealer wasn't capable of redoing them? Or maybe his dealer really is that dumb...?

Colby@C&DRacing
07-11-2007, 09:38 AM
If you just need a service we charge $50 for the rear shock. Our single rate conversion is $250 and includes main spring,High flow valve body,valving, oil, nitrogen and seals. We also offer a dual rate rear race conversion that is all the same as the sport conversion but comes with 1" more travel and dual rate zps spring setup.

JH Racing
07-11-2007, 09:50 AM
The $575 price does include revalving but it does not include the rear linkage 04-05s we use GT linkage and 06-07 we use our own linkage. There are a few companys out here do not revalve but we are one of them. I have not updated my website in quiet a while so it does not have all the info. The TRX get revalved,seals, and springs. The LTR get revalved,new front pistons,seal heads, comp adj. springs, and all three get springs.

Rulz
07-11-2007, 10:29 AM

You are wrong, it certainly does include revalving!

400exrider707
07-11-2007, 10:33 AM
You are wrong, it certainly does include revalving!

Well I guess that makes JH racing wrong, you would know more than themselves I guess... I got that info from the website that you posted so?:confused:

400exrider707
07-11-2007, 10:36 AM
... as directly quoted from J-hracing.com the site that you posted up.....

SHOCK SERVICING

TRX's ZPS shock conversions. $575.00 Full Set

*Includes complete disassembly and inspection of all parts.

notice says nothing about valving

Reassembly with new oil and nitrogen.
Front Shocks $85.00
Rear Shocks $85.00

*Shock valving also available. Call for pricing details.

Rulz
07-11-2007, 10:38 AM
Dude, can you not read? Look up two posts from yours, I believe JH Racing just stated it DOES include valving and they even commented about his web site may not be up to date.

400exrider707
07-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Dude, can you not read? Look up two posts from yours, I believe JH Racing just stated it DOES include valving and they even commented about his web site may not be up to date.

Nope didn't see it, thanks for the clarification... might be losing quite a few customers with an outdated website....!?;)

Also the prices are no different than anyone else once you add in the linkage...

How much does your linkage run JH? Also what do you do to the shocks exactly? Do you run single/dual/triple rate fronts? What about the rear. thanks.

JH Racing
07-11-2007, 01:36 PM
to add the GT linkage is $150 for the 04-05 and our linkage for the 06-07 is $125 triple rate front and dual rate rear. I revalve front and rear new seals front and rear. I can also cut the bodys for the 7/8 extra shaft travel in the front. I do 2-3 OEM conversion a week but most of my shock work is Elka revalves and services. The rear dual rate conversion w/ linkage is $375 for 06-07 and $400 for the 04-05. I charge $125 for standard revalve no spring change I do not recommend in the front but sometimes the rear it will work fine and $85 for a service w/ seals.

ss440ex
07-11-2007, 01:57 PM

For what ever the cost!!
Axis-Elka or conversions, j-hracing`s stuff works!
Top notch service too.

kawabunga
07-11-2007, 03:56 PM
okay everybody, here's the deal. i just bought a brand new shock off an '04 machine. it was took off almost immediatly. it was a local buy from a dude in my hometown so i know this. right now, a stock rear is all that i can really afford. i would love to do a rebuild like you guys are talking and have a really nice set-up, i would love it. maybe in the future. time constraints is another reason. i have a race coming up in two weeks and i need a shock for that. sending it out would mean that i might not have it back in time. the fact that my wheeler is 80 miles away from me right now at my parents house doesn't help. so that and the money issue pretty much superseded getting the shock rebuilt. like i said, maybe (hopefully) in the future, then i would really be set as far as my suspension is concerned. i love the evols, and i would really like to have something to compliment them on the back. (if you're asking how i can afford evols and not a rebuild, it's because i didn't buy those. they were on the wheeler when i bought it; just like just about everything else on the quad)

Perhaps his dealer wasn't capable of redoing them? Or maybe his dealer really is that dumb...?

the first part is right, my dealer isn't capable of this sort of rebuild.

If you read carefully he has float evols LT on the front and a stock rear. That sounds like a terrible combo hahahaha. That front end with a GT rear end would be killer. He only needs to get the rear done.

i totally believe all of you that a GT rear end would be nice with my current front end, however, i am happy with the way the machine is now. i've only done 3 races thus far in the district 16 series in B class and am in 11th place (4 points from 10th) out of 40 some people. and this is my first year of racing ever. it working good enough for me

the stock rear works for me, i would like otherwise, but this dude's right...cash flow is like molasses in january right now

07-11-2007, 04:02 PM
may i ask how much you paid for the shock? this is a good thing in a way...now you can save the money for the link and revalve of the original shock and not lose any riding time...and then after you can sell the shock you just bought and recoup some of your money...

i just hope that the cost of the "new" shock was equal or less than the $90 or so you would have had in the rebuild to stock specs...not a revalve

kawabunga
07-11-2007, 06:03 PM
may i ask how much you paid for the shock? this is a good thing in a way...now you can save the money for the link and revalve of the original shock and not lose any riding time...and then after you can sell the shock you just bought and recoup some of your money...

i just hope that the cost of the "new" shock was equal or less than the $90 or so you would have had in the rebuild to stock specs...not a revalve

$100, i know they've gone for cheaper, but if i would've bought one off ebay i probably would have come close to it when shipping was figured into it. and this way i know what i'm getting.

i also did not think of what you brought up. that's a good idea and if things go the way i want them to, that'll happen then.

400exrider707
07-11-2007, 08:23 PM

i totally believe all of you that a GT rear end would be nice with my current front end, however, i am happy with the way the machine is now. i've only done 3 races thus far in the district 16 series in B class and am in 11th place (4 points from 10th) out of 40 some people. and this is my first year of racing ever. it working good enough for me

If you do that good on that stocker imagine how good you can be with good suspension...

the stock rear works for me, i would like otherwise, but this dude's right...cash flow is like molasses in january right now

One of my favorite quotes... "the best you've ridden is the best you know"

We all go through the cash flow problem, so I feel for you. It took me a while to save for everything I have.

kawabunga
07-11-2007, 09:47 PM
One of my favorite quotes... "the best you've ridden is the best you know"

if that ain't the truth...

now my plan is to eventually get one shock redone and sell the other one for at least a little cash return. i guess you could say that this is a temporary fix.