PDA

View Full Version : Caliper hits exhaust on EX!!

Evan
10-22-2002, 10:07 PM
I thought this only happend on Rs. I have seen several exhausts now, hit by the rear caliper on the 400EX. The first one I saw I thought it was bc the dude had an extended swingarm, it hit his Sparks pipe and put a nice dent in it. Then mine got scratched by the caliper and Im running a pro circuit w/stock swingarm. I know the Rs have this problem too, since mine has a nice dent in it but I think I fixed it by having a larger spacer made. Shouldnt the afermarket be aware of this and make them accordingly. Anyone else have this problem?

BornOnFire
10-22-2002, 10:12 PM
I know that my E-Series came with a factory installed "Dent" in it to accomodate a fully compressed swingarm. Probably some big dude with a BFH pounding on pipes all day.I don't know if other Companies are doing that yet but they should!!!

carbonfiber440
10-23-2002, 12:01 AM
hey i have an e-series pipe, and i put a nice stracth in her from bottoming out my rear suspension, though it did have the pre-made dent ther it didnt help much

forum
10-23-2002, 06:14 AM
im going to use a 250r rear brake setup so I think that will stop it from happening. also give more ground clearance

chavez
10-23-2002, 06:32 AM
ive got the dent too i dont worry about it any more cause it keeps happening doesnt get any worse. bot isnt funny how the air box is molded to not get hit. my r did it too heck the first time it happened i bought a new silencer lrd

Extremeracer167
10-23-2002, 09:42 AM
sounds like u need a bigger spacer, or maybe your subframe is bent a little bit. My dad lost his muffler at the St. Clairsville GNCC and we found out, his subframe is bent. U should be able to tell just by getting down low and looking to see if the muffler is right about the caliper.

Evan
10-23-2002, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by forum
im going to use a 250r rear brake setup so I think that will stop it from happening. also give more ground clearance
It should still hit if u use the 250R setup. My R hits worse than my EX. Umm your sprocket is bigger than your brake rotor so your not gonna gain ground clearence. And remeber smaller rotor=less stopping power.

This happens to way too many people to be a bent subframe. The aftermarket just needs to design there products better.

Extremeracer167
10-23-2002, 12:47 PM
I dont know, ive NEVER had it happen on mine, and my dad never had his happen until he bent the sup frame and put the long travel back shock on.

Evan
10-23-2002, 12:50 PM
I didnt happen to mine either untill I overjumped the crap out of a double when I was racing it. And thats the same place my buddy dented his sparks. Funny thing is I didnt feel the rear shock bottom out. And to my knowledge my 400 has never been wrecked so no bent subframe. Maybe u aint jumpin hard enough:D

Extremeracer167
10-23-2002, 12:55 PM
u dont have to wreck to bend a 400EX subframe, thats proven, my dads isnt bent from him wreckin, its bent from him landind hard. If i can bottom out a LONG TRAVEL back shock and not hit my caliper, i dont think im going too.

And if u hit yours and u didnt bottom the shock out, then u have some major problems with your backend

DGR Designs
10-23-2002, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by forum
im going to use a 250r rear brake setup so I think that will stop it from happening. also give more ground clearance dude :huh your not going to gain any ground clearance unless you get a smaller rear sproket alos. GC is measured fome the absolute lowest point on the bike but that would stop the problem with the exhaust

Extremeracer167
10-23-2002, 01:27 PM
you YO YO, u still arent going to gain any ground clearance. a38 tooth rear sprocket is the size of a 38 tooth rear sprocket, no matter if u get a diff. sprocket hub or not! You cant gain ground clearance unless u run smaller sprockets and a smaller disk. But it still woldnt be worth it, u might gain...what a 1/4 to a 1/2 inch at the MOST:blah

Mxbubs
10-23-2002, 02:46 PM
The taller brake rotor on the rear is the problem. You have 2 fixes. Get a pipe with an offset outward mounting bracking such as the DMC, or get the smaller 250r rotor, brake hub, and caliper, this will get you down about 2" and will not hit the silencer.

bmf400ex
10-23-2002, 03:53 PM
who cares, let it bash the **** out of the silencer, just buy another one when it finally craps. i won't give up brake power for nothing.

jaspurx
10-23-2002, 08:09 PM
my e-series hit and hit and finally flew off and never bottomed. big and long jumps. broke the mid-pipe out of silencer and snapped the rear bracket!!!! ex was loud then!!

Evan
10-23-2002, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Extremeracer167
u dont have to wreck to bend a 400EX subframe, thats proven, my dads isnt bent from him wreckin, its bent from him landind hard. If i can bottom out a LONG TRAVEL back shock and not hit my caliper, i dont think im going too.

And if u hit yours and u didnt bottom the shock out, then u have some major problems with your backend

What kinda pipe ya got? There is nothing wrong with my backend, they just need to redesign some pipes is all.

Chef
10-23-2002, 10:31 PM
I scraped mine up in my first TT race. The bike was already so low that it only had to move another 3 or 4 inches to scrape. It scraped because I came off the top of this hill sideways, and i think it moved some stuff over just a sixteenth of an inch while i was sideways and then it scraped when the weight of the bike came back down...

muff
10-24-2002, 01:55 PM
my friends caliper hits on his new z, it put a nice size hole in it, he bought a fmf titanium slip on and it still does it but not as bad

Extremeracer167
10-24-2002, 02:30 PM
I run a TC race exhaust. My dad runs a WB R4 and it does it, but only after he tweaked the subframe

R-Crazy
10-24-2002, 05:55 PM
ah just throw some duct tape on thier and call it fixed when it pokes a hole trough you silencer, jkjk:eek: im surprised, i have never heard of this. it must just be on the 400 because i have bottomed out my 300 with a megamax 2 on it without any problems. good luck to all of ya.

dave