PDA

View Full Version : Changing cases

STEVENJANNA
07-10-2007, 03:02 PM
Anyone ever change there own cases? When I split the cases is there anything that's going to "sproing" out ?

exvetrider
07-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Better get a servive manual before you take it apart,it will be a big help

Trx4Life
07-13-2007, 12:45 PM
I know the little deal on top of the shift drum has some springs in it. They tend to be hard to hang on to other than that its not as bad a job as one with think. If you dont have to change anything in the transmission it will stand up in either case. so you can split it do what you have to do to the clutch side then put that one back on flip it over and take the other half off. That is if you have to change both halves of the case. Just dont pry on the matting surface of the cases with any thing make sure you use the little lips around the motor.

good luck

STEVENJANNA
07-13-2007, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Trx4Life
I know the little deal on top of the shift drum has some springs in it. They tend to be hard to hang on to other than that its not as bad a job as one with think. If you dont have to change anything in the transmission it will stand up in either case. so you can split it do what you have to do to the clutch side then put that one back on flip it over and take the other half off. That is if you have to change both halves of the case. Just dont pry on the matting surface of the cases with any thing make sure you use the little lips around the motor.

good luck
Thanks. I thought it would go something like that.

Mc. Muffin
07-14-2007, 06:43 PM
If you don't have a case splitter I would purchase one because a screw drive pledge against the cases can cause some damage.
Other than that I believe you need some special wrench/socket to unscrew something (I can't seem to remember exactly what)
Also like someone else said above, if you don't have a service manual I would purchase one because some of the best mechanics can get confused and forget how to reinstall the parts and accessories on the engine.

STEVENJANNA
07-15-2007, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Mc. Muffin
If you don't have a case splitter I would purchase one because a screw drive pledge against the cases can cause some damage.
Other than that I believe you need some special wrench/socket to unscrew something (I can't seem to remember exactly what)
Also like someone else said above, if you don't have a service manual I would purchase one because some of the best mechanics can get confused and forget how to reinstall the parts and accessories on the engine.
Thanks. A fly wheel puller is so far the only specialty tool that I seemed to have needed.

YFZ#426
07-15-2007, 02:40 PM
i have slpit my own cases and there is nothing that is going to spring out. As long as you dont mess with the tranny you will be fine. It is actually very easy and in most cases you dont even need a case splitter. However you will need a flywheel puller. Its not as hard as it seems just make sure you note how things came apart and its a breeze. Good Luck!!

jshtex
07-17-2007, 08:38 PM
I would recomend somthing to "pull" the crank into the case / bearings rather than using a hammer.

Here is what I made out of some 1" strap steel when I did ours.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/353000-353999/353459_29_full.jpg

Get the crank started in the left (shifter) side and then use something like this on the outside of the case where the flywheel would be if it was installed. Put the end of the crank thru the hole in the middle and then use the nut from the flywheel and some washer (if needed) to pull the crank into the bearing. You need to make sure you get it all the way in or you might have some problems with the piston / cyl install down the road.

Also while your in there you might as well replace some of the cheap stuff like the timing chain and I usually even replace the valve springs. Not that I ever heard of anyone having trouble with the springs but like I said they are fairly cheap.

Your also going to need to press / pull any new bearings into the case halfs. I made some home made stuff for that if your interested in seeing it. I replaced all the bearings in the case when I replaced our cases. Expensive but I sleep better because of it.

Good luck.