PDA

View Full Version : Will 86 trans fit in 89 cases?

JeremyKS
07-10-2007, 02:47 PM
I need to know if 86 and 89 cases are the same?

methyman
07-10-2007, 02:55 PM
They are almost the same but components can swap into each other with out any problems. The earlier cases are thicker where the crank is.

JeremyKS
07-10-2007, 02:57 PM
thanks for the response. can a right side 86 and left side 89 swap?

86 Quad R
07-10-2007, 03:22 PM
yup. i have a engine that has different sides together. the only thing to be aware of is that the kicker assembly on the earlier cases required the collar that goes between the case and kicker gear whereas on the newer cases the spacing is made into the case itself.

u_want_some
07-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Not try to interfer with your post, but I was told during my rebuild that both cases had to be the same due to them being machined during production. I currently have a 86 and an 87 case together and it has been working fine for me (no leaks). Can someone please explain what they mean by "machined cases"? Thanks and hope I did not interfer with your question at all.

Rich250RRacer
07-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by u_want_some
Not try to interfer with your post, but I was told during my rebuild that both cases had to be the same due to them being machined during production. I currently have a 86 and an 87 case together and it has been working fine for me (no leaks). Can someone please explain what they mean by "machined cases"? Thanks and hope I did not interfer with your question at all.

Machined cases are lapped and matched, which means if one is broken, they have to be replaced in pairs. Honda rarely uses machined cases in their off-road applications, which is why they use a gasket between their case halves. The gasket will make up for any imperfections. Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Suzuki use machined cases regularly, with no gaskets, only liquid sealer.

u_want_some
07-11-2007, 04:10 AM
thanks