PDA

View Full Version : Front wheel shudder ???

2old2race
07-10-2007, 09:57 AM
Did anyone notice that after switching from an OE tire (Ohtsu) to a 6-ply tire (Holeshot HD) that the front end becomes a lot busier?
I get an almost high speed shudder on hard pack surfaces.

Also, coming down after fast jumps also causes the front end to wobble hard.

I checked the toe in, tire pressures, and tightness of all front end components. I also used a torque wrench when installing my wheels.

Maybe this is normal with a 6-ply as compared to a 2 ply radial. Just thought it was weird.

Barrymaxx
07-10-2007, 10:27 AM
You jus can beat the ride quality of stock radial tires. 6-plys are alot stiffer, so your going to feel alot more feedback through the suspension and bars.

2old2race
07-10-2007, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Barrymaxx
You jus can beat the ride quality of stock radial tires. 6-plys are alot stiffer, so your going to feel alot more feedback through the suspension and bars.
I see. Within 5 secs after putting my 6-plys on out front, I thought I had the tires on backwards, too much pressure, etc. lol

The stock tires were a lot softer and really absorbed the irregularities.

I have been messing with them for a couple weeks now, and they are definitely nowhere near as smooth as my friends still stock EX.

1965 honda
07-10-2007, 04:44 PM
my first ride with new fronts i went over the bars from a series of roots and stumps. it happened really fast.:huh

bigmikey119
07-10-2007, 04:54 PM
The stock tires also seem to hook up better to me

CarGuy7a
07-10-2007, 07:36 PM
i put some 4 plys on the front and 6's on the back and i noticed somewhat the same similarities you are. a really rough ride. what i did to fix it that feels a ton better is if you are on stock shocks like me i set the rear compression and dampening to full hard and set the front spring pre-load to full hard as well.

feels 100 times better.

2old2race
07-10-2007, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the input guys!
Funny, I actually turned my front shocks back a click. They were set to full compression.
I would think with a stiffer tire you would want less compression since it is going to ride harder?
I found going from the recommended 7-9 psi to 5-6 helped a bit.

But, man the front wheels still really seem to be busy. :ermm:

Barrymaxx
07-10-2007, 08:17 PM
I think its just something your going to have to get used to.

Stock tires do ride really nice compared to my razrs though.

GOTFEAR
07-10-2007, 11:00 PM
did that dun that you will get use of it the first time i changed my front tires i thought the front end was falling off but dont notice now but did instale a dampiner.

CarGuy7a
07-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by 2old2race
Thanks for the input guys!
Funny, I actually turned my front shocks back a click. They were set to full compression.
I would think with a stiffer tire you would want less compression since it is going to ride harder?
I found going from the recommended 7-9 psi to 5-6 helped a bit.

But, man the front wheels still really seem to be busy. :ermm:

i thought the same thing too but was like screw it, it's worth a try and i loved it. my stock settings were with the front shocks one click down from full hard. and the rear settings at halfway. i put the razr's on and it was jar your teeth out rough. then the other day i was flipping through the Honda owners manual and saw the adjustments for the rear shock and was like sweet. i didn't even know it was adjustable. so i started playin.

yeah i usually run like 4 or 5 pounds in my razr's.