PDA

View Full Version : Apex slipper sprocket

scott korody
07-10-2007, 08:24 AM
I have seen the slipper sprocket for the Apex and Taiwanese quads, i would appreciate any feedback?

TEXWS6
07-10-2007, 09:37 AM
My girl still hasn't busted her tranny....we are putting in the slipper sprocket this week and the brass bushing after our next race....

Andyman17dad
07-10-2007, 10:22 AM
There are a couple guys running them up this way and seem to be happy with them.
You mark it with a sharpie and you can see when they come back in that it is definatly turning and working. ( at least it is doing what it is supposed to do, anyway)

ecmini1
07-10-2007, 06:04 PM
We have had good success with customer feed back on the slipper sprockets. We also have done numrous trans. with bushing only and have great feedback. The slipper is just another attempt to holding these trans together. It depends on how much you want to spend for security. The bushing mod with a trans saver is cheaper and has a great track record.

TeamSimsRacing
07-10-2007, 07:28 PM
The slippers do work as advertised but... the problem of the sprocket and shaft wear will appear shortly after install if the slipper function is used. The problem we and others are having is that the sprocket is machined so thin at the shaft contact point that the sprocket hole gets worn rather quickly, then becomes off centered. What happens next is chain whip with an off centered sprocket and then you throw chains. At the start of a moto all can look well and by the end the chain won't stay on. My advice is if you are going to use one remove/inspect and retorque after EVERY moto. We wasted one after one practice session and two motos. After I machined another sprocket to fix the elongated hole, I check it regularly, it's wearing too and will soon be replaced. I also recommend torquing it a bit tighter than the recommendations.

They do work, just keep an eye on things.

tireman43
07-11-2007, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by TeamSimsRacing
The slippers do work as advertised but... the problem of the sprocket and shaft wear will appear shortly after install if the slipper function is used. The problem we and others are having is that the sprocket is machined so thin at the shaft contact point that the sprocket hole gets worn rather quickly, then becomes off centered. What happens next is chain whip with an off centered sprocket and then you throw chains. At the start of a moto all can look well and by the end the chain won't stay on. My advice is if you are going to use one remove/inspect and retorque after EVERY moto. We wasted one after one practice session and two motos. After I machined another sprocket to fix the elongated hole, I check it regularly, it's wearing too and will soon be replaced. I also recommend torquing it a bit tighter than the recommendations.

They do work, just keep an eye on things.

I have to agree 110%. They will work, but too many variables. If you wreck/break a sprocket you need a special one from what I've heard. Make sure you have an extra. For $300 I put the bushing in and have an extra set of gears and still have money left over.

wrhracing
07-12-2007, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by tireman43
I have to agree 110%. They will work, but too many variables. If you wreck/break a sprocket you need a special one from what I've heard. Make sure you have an extra. For $300 I put the bushing in and have an extra set of gears and still have money left over.

Unfortunatley , until your cases get ruined, or the bearing holes get worn out.
For local racing we are not using the slipper sprocket. But.... most everyone else with uphill whoops , rough tracks to where wheels break loose and then grab traction do run the sprocket.

jread14
07-16-2007, 02:44 PM
We have quite a few of the kids in the TQRA running them because there were way to many kids trashing gears midway through a race. With the slipper clutches installed we have a lot more little ones finishing the races instead of being pulled back to your trailer wondering what happened. You do have to re-torque after each ride....

blazen582
07-17-2007, 06:16 PM
Anyone looking to buy one of these slipper sprokets? I bought one and decided not to use it.. I listed it in the for sale forum..

Davidkeys1@gmail.com

tireman43
07-25-2007, 12:40 PM
Just to give an update on the slipper sprocket: I removed one from a Pro Mx on a competetors quad for them this weekend because the teeth broke off. :rolleyes: I'm not trying to bash them but it's not worth $300.

ProMX90
07-27-2007, 03:32 PM
I got mine from West Coast. Because I had bought all my gears from him, he gave it to me for $150. I've had really good luck with it so far. definitely worth $150. I've kept it torqued at about 100 lbs and it works perfect for me.

P.S. What teeth broke off? The sprocket or the spline?

tireman43
07-30-2007, 08:26 PM
the spline

racinmason911
10-24-2007, 03:03 PM
We have the bushing and tranny saver on our Pro MX and we've been thru 2 set's of gears in about 30 laps. Other than the slipper sprocket is there anything I should look into?

jetmedic
10-24-2007, 04:44 PM
Until this magical rear sprocket setup comes out all you can do is buy more transmissions and change them every race.:mad: If you get slipper it will break as well I have seen it too many times to invest in it. I will wait for the wizard to make the magical rear sprocket appear.

EJ Racing 07
01-03-2008, 07:14 PM
My son is 6 1/2 and started racing in June of 07 with a brand new Pro MXR 90. On his third race he exploded the gears, throw a new set in and did it again three motos later. I bought the slipper gear and the way its designed it only lasted a month and he destroyed it (sheered the tabs off the pressure plate). I even torqued it light, so I redesigned it with my machinist and it has lasted since. There is three problems with the original, even the updated one I can see problems. I inspect the gears after every night of racing and they don't show wear. Completely happy with what i have come up with. I have around $400 into mine, the way we were going I would've had twice that into gears last season. If anyone is interested or have any ?'s let me know. alanepling1@hotmail.com

tom450r
01-03-2008, 07:49 PM
TWO WORDS FOR ALL OF YOU
DAVE!!!!
CARTER!!!!

ecmini1
01-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Dave carter set up is the same as the lt80 set up. Has the clutches in the cvt cover. This will work awsome.

We have run the bushing mod with case saver and in allmost 2 years on 3 race bikes no trans problems. Theach them to let off on the landing will help big time.

EJ Racing 07
01-03-2008, 09:00 PM
I agree with the landing off the gas thing and my son is good at it but sometimes you have to give it when its tight or be happy taking second

tom450r
01-04-2008, 04:14 PM
landing off the gas is BAD for the rider, TEACH them the right way to ride, land on the gas like your suppose to & the landing are easier, softer, & the correct way to ride. FIX THE BIKE & DON'T HURT THE RIDER!!!!

EJ Racing 07
01-12-2008, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by tom450r
TWO WORDS FOR ALL OF YOU
DAVE!!!!
CARTER!!!! I'm curious how's this system work? Never seen the lt80 setup. Any pics of this?

tom450r
01-12-2008, 10:14 PM
sorry no pics, kind of part of the deal with DC, because I'm sure everyone would like to copy it. but no one wanted to take the time & effort to design it.

thumper492
01-14-2008, 07:37 AM
WE WENT THROUGH ALL THE STUFF YOU ALL DID 2 OR 3 SETS OF GEARS THE SOLUTION CASE BUSHING AND BILL HOLT HARDENED GEARS .......... MY SON IS A REALY AGRESSIVE RIDER . I CHECK THE GEARS AND CASE EVERY RACE AND NO PROBLEM .ONE TIME HE EVEN BROKE THE INSIDE TRANNY PLATE AND STRIPPED THE REAR INSIDE CLUTCH SHAFT NOT A MARK ON THE TRANNY GEARS.THE HARDENED GEARS WORK WE ARE LIVING PROOF THANKS FOR THE GREAT GEARS BILLY . PS WE ALSO RUN THE CASE SAVER.:D

tireman43
01-14-2008, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by thumper492
WE WENT THROUGH ALL THE STUFF YOU ALL DID 2 OR 3 SETS OF GEARS THE SOLUTION CASE BUSHING AND BILL HOLT HARDENED GEARS .......... MY SON IS A REALY AGRESSIVE RIDER . I CHECK THE GEARS AND CASE EVERY RACE AND NO PROBLEM .ONE TIME HE EVEN BROKE THE INSIDE TRANNY PLATE AND STRIPPED THE REAR INSIDE CLUTCH SHAFT NOT A MARK ON THE TRANNY GEARS.THE HARDENED GEARS WORK WE ARE LIVING PROOF THANKS FOR THE GREAT GEARS BILLY . PS WE ALSO RUN THE CASE SAVER.:D

Dave Carters fix is the only real way to fix the problem. Call Billy(WRH) and he will tell you the same I'm sure. The hardened gears work, but something has to give and you have a chance to crack the cases eventually. I don't use Dave's cure, but what I know about it and who helped design it, it will be the only way to a real fix.

racinmason911
01-14-2008, 02:51 PM
You know! Not to ruffle anyones feathers or anything, but that is the same sale's pitch that was handed out last year when the slipper sprocket came out. It was touted as the cure all tranny fix, you can ride full blast all of the time and have no worries. Now it's jst another gimic fix and we are supposed to go with the new high dollar fix. What will it be next year? I will admit, we are running a tranny saver and a brass bushing and we plan on adding the slipper this year too. But until the $$$ comes down to this planet for that other setup, we'll just take our chances with last years cure-all......... I'm sure the DC setup works, but a poll of public opinion on the slipper sprocket is that it works too. And is a ton cheaper!

tireman43
01-14-2008, 03:36 PM
No ruffled feathers here but I've seen WAY TOO MANY slipper sprocket problems. Yes it can work and 1 of the 5 that we race against still use it with zero problems. The rest have thrown them in the garbage due to problems.

Now for the $$$. If you spend the $300 on a slipper and $100 on gears. Then you add the bearing/bushing at what ever that runs theses days. Add it up and it comes to around $400-500. Add another $100 and have Dave fix it. I'm just saying that if you compare them you will see the price isn't as big a factor as it seems. Just my .02 cents.

Too also add: I only use the tranny saver, upgraded roller bearing and hardened gears. So my view is not biased just my opinion and when the people in this industry, who I trust, tell me it works I will believe them.

tom450r
01-14-2008, 05:10 PM
just an after thought, but if money were a big issue i wouldn't be spending thousands of dollars a year & driving hours each way to win a $15 piece of plastic (trophy). YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR when you buy parts.
Originally posted by racinmason911
You know! Not to ruffle anyones feathers or anything, but that is the same sale's pitch that was handed out last year when the slipper sprocket came out. It was touted as the cure all tranny fix, you can ride full blast all of the time and have no worries. Now it's jst another gimic fix and we are supposed to go with the new high dollar fix. What will it be next year? I will admit, we are running a tranny saver and a brass bushing and we plan on adding the slipper this year too. But until the $$$ comes down to this planet for that other setup, we'll just take our chances with last years cure-all......... I'm sure the DC setup works, but a poll of public opinion on the slipper sprocket is that it works too. And is a ton cheaper!

racinmason911
01-15-2008, 11:41 AM
I see your point there Tom, but it also doesn't pay to jump on bandwagons either. At this point last year the slipper sprocket was the cure all remember? Dave knows waht he's doing and I'm sure his setup is killer, but it's not the only fix in town........

tom450r
01-15-2008, 02:19 PM
well i tell you what, call me your test rider as soon as i get some time to get this motor in i will let you all know how it works. & as far as that slipper sprocket. whan i saw the design of it last year i posted on the drr forums about a real bullet proof fix because that sprocket did not look to promising. after talking to dave i am willing to spending this money to try it. I'll let you all know when i know.
Originally posted by racinmason911
I see your point there Tom, but it also doesn't pay to jump on bandwagons either. At this point last year the slipper sprocket was the cure all remember? Dave knows waht he's doing and I'm sure his setup is killer, but it's not the only fix in town........

grillbutt
01-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by ecmini1
Dave carter set up is the same as the lt80 set up. Has the clutches in the cvt cover. This will work awsome.

We have run the bushing mod with case saver and in allmost 2 years on 3 race bikes no trans problems. Theach them to let off on the landing will help big time.

is the 'Dave Carter' solution a bolt-on product , where can I get this from, I'll give anything (within reason ) a go to stop smashing the trannies :rolleyes:

tom450r
01-21-2008, 06:28 PM
yes this is a real repair & for the $ it is worth knowing that my kid can finally finish a race & not need to change the gaers before the next one. if you want to get ahold of Dave PM me for more info.
Originally posted by grillbutt
is the 'Dave Carter' solution a bolt-on product , where can I get this from, I'll give anything (within reason ) a go to stop smashing the trannies :rolleyes:

Nichols Atvs
01-21-2008, 07:48 PM
This is not a bolt on product . You have to send your cases orwhole engine to him to havethe clutch put in it . I know the girl that was the test rider for the test engine done she is very agressive and holds the throttle all the time also the engine was a122cc engine done by wrh racing and it has some magior
power coming out of it If your racing local stuff your not going to be running that kind of power and it should be even betterfor you.

grillbutt
01-22-2008, 01:29 AM
thanks Nichols atv, I have sent a PM to Tom450 to see whats gotta be done

cheers

Nichols Atvs
01-22-2008, 07:42 AM
I need to change my last post you need to send these parts to Dave carter in Arkansas hes the one doing the mods

grillbutt
01-22-2008, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Nichols Atvs
I need to change my last post you need to send these parts to Dave carter in Arkansas hes the one doing the mods

IS THERE A NUMBER OR WEBSITE I CAN CONTACT ??

THANKS

Steven623
01-29-2008, 08:02 AM
Well, has anyone got it done? How well does it work? Does it last a long time with out replacing any parts?

Thanks

Nichols Atvs
01-29-2008, 08:42 AM
I belive the test machine has about 15 races on it and is still running strong with no problems and no wear. the others that have had it done im not sure. Put up a post out in the main forum you may get some better imput there. or contact smelldog or dcarter.