PDA

View Full Version : 250r rear shock on 250x frame? how?

maddmatt02
07-09-2007, 09:40 PM
got my 250r shock today but I didnt have time to try anything but look at it, but the top of the shock, the sleeve through it and caps makes it too wide to fit in there, and even with no caps it wont fit. the body itself would fit if the inner sleave was just as wide as the body, but does everyone just grind the inner sleeves down and not use the caps?

also I got 400ex linkage in tha mail and I know I have to use a couple washers to space it in the back where it mounts to the swingarm, but anyone done it yet and can tell me what you had to do to mount the lower part of the shock onto 400 linkage.

fast426
07-09-2007, 10:05 PM
you have to grind down the top of the shock a little bit to get it to fit in there. I just finished doing this rear end to my brothers quad, it works awesome

maddmatt02
07-09-2007, 11:12 PM
so you ground down the sleeve that protrudes out the sides of the mounting point on the shock, right? you didnt have to touch the actual shock body itself did you? at least thats what it looks like to me, seems like if the sleeve didnt stick out it would slide right in there.

jay80
07-10-2007, 06:15 AM
Post some pics so we can get a better understanding of what you are asking. Plus I will be doing this soon so I need to know what needs to be done :p

maddmatt02
07-10-2007, 07:35 AM
alright, its not that easy to do because I work on it over at my boss's house since I live in an apartment and he has a garage, and when I run into a problem I dont have the camera with me, and then I cant post pics with my ?, maybe Ill get some today.

SET THE STAGE
07-13-2007, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by fast426
you have to grind down the top of the shock a little bit to get it to fit in there. I just finished doing this rear end to my brothers quad, it works awesome

put up pics. i have this done to mine (was done when i bought it) and it seems to me like it sits a little low.

maddmatt02
07-13-2007, 10:15 PM
well I grinded down the inner sleeves on the shock, and barely any off the shock itself, and it fits in there, but the bolt hole in the sleeve and the bolt hole in the frame are different sized, looks kind of like that sleeve would have fit the frame and the shock but I grinded it the thickness of the frame wallx2 too much for that to work. think I got the bottom figured out now I gotta get the top working.

SET THE STAGE
07-13-2007, 11:09 PM
you know the inside bearing sleeve? (the silver one) you might have to take that out to make it fit? i have this done to mine but i haven't taken it apart just yet to see how he did it but soon i will so if you haven't figured it out still... yeah haha

maddmatt02
07-14-2007, 12:19 AM
yeah, I was thinking of ditching the inner one, finding a bolt to fit snug inside, and then if needed drill the holes on the frame larger.

so you got a 250r rear shock on 450r swinger with what linkage? if its 400 would you mind checking out how the lower mount was done? thinking of drilling the inner sleeve out to accept a larger bolt. figured its probably tough material though and will be tough to drill through

SET THE STAGE
07-14-2007, 07:48 AM
well no i actually have an entire 250r rear setup. it's all 88-89 stuff.