PDA

View Full Version : going to gym

mine
07-09-2007, 06:45 PM
Well, alot of you guys that know me probably already know that i'll be alot healthier at - 40lbs. The only thing is, I always tell myself that im going to gym this or that time and i never end up going.I was supposed to go right now, but i really feel no drive or motivation. This will probably go on for the next week if i dont do something about it.

What would you guys do?

Thanks,

Mike

416exfreak
07-09-2007, 06:49 PM
Get off the comp and get your arse to the gym....:p

Seriously though, get one of yuour buddies to start going with you...idk...get the wife involoved?...do something....

07-09-2007, 06:59 PM
when i was training i would do this. It might sound sstupid but it worked for me. Everytime i wanted to watched TV or just chill and not go to the gym i would leave myself a reminded, like a note that i would see. Like i said it might sound stupid but it worked for me. When i was saving up for something i would leave a reminded in my wallet too so when i was ognna go buy something i didnt really need i would open my wallet and it would be just a reminder...

Once u get into the habbit of going 2 the gym itll be alot easier, the first couple of weeks will be the hardest

mine
07-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Honda86
when i was training i would do this. It might sound sstupid but it worked for me. Everytime i wanted to watched TV or just chill and not go to the gym i would leave myself a reminded, like a note that i would see. Like i said it might sound stupid but it worked for me. When i was saving up for something i would leave a reminded in my wallet too so when i was ognna go buy something i didnt really need i would open my wallet and it would be just a reminder...

Once u get into the habbit of going 2 the gym itll be alot easier, the first couple of weeks will be the hardest

IMO it doesnt sound stupid at all, the only thing is, I know i have to go to gym and i dont forget i just dont have the motivation to actually go.I dont know what my deal is.

250ex13
07-09-2007, 07:15 PM
I just repeat in my head "stop slacking, dylan" nothing pisses me off more then when someone calls me, lazy or a slacker so repeating this in my head gets me angry, pumped and ready to hit he gym :devil: (probably wont work for most of you, haha)

JRP
07-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by mine
IMO it doesnt sound stupid at all, the only thing is, I know i have to go to gym and i dont forget i just dont have the motivation to actually go.I dont know what my deal is.

mike i know what you mean. I would always get like that after a week or so, but here recently, i talked to chad weinen through myspace and he wrote me about a paragraph or more of encouragement, and how he was so determined after the Englishtown WPSA last year, and everyday i read that and it gets me pumped to go out and run or lift.

trxwannbe
07-09-2007, 07:36 PM
if you really really really really really really can't get yourself motivated then look into a trainer sometimes your gym has them available to you at no extra cost and sometimes they are a few bucks more but if you can't seem to do it yourself then its definitely worth the money to have somebody who will make you get up and do something

derekhonda
07-09-2007, 08:01 PM
If you really wanted to do it, you would. Obviously you dont "really" have the drive. -Sorry

mine
07-09-2007, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda
If you really wanted to do it, you would. Obviously you dont "really" have the drive. -Sorry

Thats EXACTLY what i'm saying, I have no drive or motivation, It seems i need to take something here or there more serious and try to get good at it. Something that will take an athletic physic:ermm:

derekhonda
07-09-2007, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by mine
Thats EXACTLY what i'm saying, I have no drive or motivation, It seems i need to take something here or there more serious and try to get good at it. Something that will take an athletic physic:ermm:

Here is what works for me. Take your shirt off, go stare at a mirror for about 10 seconds. Suddenly, I feel like working out. Haha, that and loud music works also.

If you really want to read some motivational bull****, www.animalpak.com/journey This dude is huge and writes to motivate.

Glamis400ex
07-09-2007, 08:47 PM
Trust me bro.... I WAS in your shoes 6 weeks ago. I was 242 lbs. and 5'11" tall...wearing a 2XL shirt and my 38 pants were getting snug.. I stopped smoking 5 years ago and every year after that I put on 8-9 pounds a year. When I quit I was around 200 lbs. 5 years later...242 lbs.

Anyway, I finally had enough and joined a gym that opened up a few miles from my house. It's a MMA, Jui-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Boxing, Yoga and weight machines. I started doing the Muay Thai and Boxing 6 weeks ago and I've already lost 19 lbs. I was 223 this morning. The first few weeks I dreaded going but now I'm at the point that if I DON"T go....I feel bad. You get hooked on it. After your done with your 30-45 minute work out you'll feel great. I know I do.

I look forward to going to the gym now everyday even if I'm not doing the boxing or muay thai, I still get on the eliptical or treadmill and run for 45 minutes every day I'm not in a class.

The trick is to find a place close to you. I would be hesitant to go if I had to drive more than a few miles.

Here's a little tip to keep under your hat....for every 30 lbs or so you lose....you GAIN about 1" down below, if you know what I mean. Trust me, it's in there.

later,

Glamis

gncc025
07-09-2007, 09:04 PM
the way i got motivated was by making it a competition with my buddies during football. if u are competitive whatsoever itll work trust me.
u could probably try making a bet with one of them saying that u can lose x amount of pounds in x amount of days or something kind of like that.

when or if u get motivated and start seeing gains physically and even mentally it makes it a ton more easier to go the the gym every day. i mean a lot easier lol.

Glamis400ex
07-09-2007, 09:18 PM
^^^good point as well. I've already seen great results and THAT will keep you going. Plus my wife says I look TONS better already. I got 30 more to lose still.

whiteEX
07-09-2007, 09:21 PM
it is best to have someone to go with a close friend or relative

bwamos
07-10-2007, 07:38 AM
Agree.

It's all about accountability. Make sure if you don't show up, someone is going to know, and they will give you flack about it. ;)

It's much easier to stay motivated when someone else is counting on you being there. ;)

mitch91
07-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by 250ex13
I just repeat in my head "stop slacking, dylan" nothing pisses me off more then when someone calls me, lazy or a slacker so repeating this in my head gets me angry, pumped and ready to hit he gym :devil: (probably wont work for most of you, haha)

Ahaha. Reminds me of a comedian.

''One time my friend wanted me todo something really stupid, and i refused, and then he said the one thng that candians do not tolerate, what are ya , *****? So i did it''// it gose along those lines lol

mitch91
07-10-2007, 05:52 PM

''One time my friend wanted me todo something really stupid, and i refused, and then he said the one thng that candians do not tolerate, what are ya , *****? So i did it''// it gose along those lines lol

mitch91
07-10-2007, 05:53 PM

Scottt89
07-10-2007, 11:17 PM
Best thing I ever did was changed the route home from work, so that it passes my gym. I have no excuse to not make the turn off now. It was tough for the first 2 or 3 weeks, but I've been going Mon-Thurs since Sept 2005.

whiteEX
07-11-2007, 01:54 PM
thats also a good idea scottt89 and thats quite a long time