PDA

View Full Version : My 400 took a dive help!!

2000sdimemp
07-09-2007, 06:05 PM
ok well i had an accident my 400 went in to a lake and it made me kinda mad anyway i t was only completly summerged for like 3 minutes if that there is no water condensation in the healights battery is good but the starte doesnt want to turn the motor over i drained the oil and most of the gas the oil was WHITE! and turned it on the grab bar to let water out of exhaust and took spark plug out iam cleaning the carb too waht next... iam pretty sure iam going to rebuild the motor cause the motor turned over in the water and got it in there any suggestions........

gcart2
07-09-2007, 06:10 PM
suggestions.... i got 1. stay away from water

Barrymaxx
07-09-2007, 06:44 PM
Keep the plug out, and spray alot of wd40 in the hole. That will stop rust in the cylinder and valves. Drain the oil like you did.. Then fill the crank case with kerosene or deisle. Then put it in gear and push it around a little bit to pump the oil through(since it wont crank on its own)

Then drain it and put motor oil back in. Now drain the gas tank and the carb. Clean the airfilter and make sure the boot and box is clean.

Now you can worry about the starter. Jump the solinoid to eliminate that as a problem. Then maybe take the starter out and inspect it if it still wont start.

miles Machine
07-09-2007, 07:41 PM
before you go jumping the starter solenoid check to see if your main fuse is ne good that might be y it isnt turning over, actually just check to see if you have lights if not then check the main fuse.

sevans
07-10-2007, 06:00 AM
Back in my boyhood days I had a 1986 Yamaha Moto 4 that ended up upside down in the pond. We dragged it out and took it home. We drained everything. We filled the oil tank with kerosene and would start and let it run just a few seconds and drain. Then we put oil in it an ran it a short time and changed it. That bike is still running today with no rebuilds. The starter has never been quite right since then, but does its job. I would really check that fuse.

2000sdimemp
07-10-2007, 11:41 AM
the oil is completly out it was whiteish gray with water in it i have lights so the fuse is good....ill spray wd40 in it tonight when i work on it... thanks guys for all your help.......

RiderTRX400ex
07-10-2007, 03:20 PM
check the fuse for sure like other have posted.. no need to rebuild as long as you make sure ALL the water and condensation is out.. i swamped mine and dropped the oil 5 or 6 times just to make sure it was all out.. pick up some cheap oil and have at it!