PDA

View Full Version : something new---- shocks

kenjolly
07-09-2007, 05:22 PM
I want to start getting my sons drx 70wc ready for next year. So here we go, if i run the stock a-arm's what are the best shocks and also what shocks if i get new wider a-arm's. Do i need to upgrade the a-arm's or can i just brace the ones i have. He is about 60lbs in gear and is 6 yrs old and will run 70cvt class for several yrs. i want to have alot of ajustability has his riding improves.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

drr wizard
07-09-2007, 06:32 PM
ken,
join the crowd, I just started a 70cc wc build for the 08 season and so did Marc at Hot Quads . I will testify to the Elka shocks they are great! but dont make the mistake I made I got the shocks first and then decided to upgrade to the long travel a-arms, only to find out I could not use the shocks I just purchased (too short). But I am on the same page with you , I am going to build a killer bike, my grandson can run for years, he is also 6, will be upgraded to a 90cc when he is ready . I am expecting the long travel a-arms anyday , I will let you know what I think when they arrive. I will be glad to share some of the ideas we are going to incorperate into this bike , maybe it will save you a little time .
drr wizard

kenjolly
07-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Who has a-arm besides koolkids and Hetrick,and what width is better for mx.
what kind of prices for these upgrades.

drr wizard
07-09-2007, 08:38 PM
Hot quads has them and and the prices are lower. I am going 45" wide frnt a-arms but I am also adding a +3 reinforced swingarm to keep geometry correct . so bike will track well. As far as prices go, I just stopped counting , guess i will find out when credit card bill arrives.
drr wizard

dblacks
07-10-2007, 05:55 AM
when looking for an a-arm setup look at the camber and caster adjustments as well as the width and shock travel

hotquads1
07-10-2007, 08:44 AM
I agree with dblacks adjustability is important and most of all the measure of travel , you can have 44 wide a-arms with 4- 5 inches of travel(stock) or you can have 44 wide a-arms with 8-9 inches of travel. For MX racing I believe this extra travel is worth money spent , because if that 6 year old does not want to hit those jumps with some speed, in fear it will land like a ton of bricks and whack his head on the handlebars, (which it will, been there done that ) He will not master the MX track. There are other benefits to upgraded suspension ,safer, more forgiving, less stress on your drivers back as well as your quads chassis, less cracking, bending, and breaking. there are several options and suppliers none of which are cheap , we usually build to suit for each application. I sent you a pm
Marc

dirttrack86
07-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Hot Quads, can you give me a call or email, I might be interested in a set of A arms. 901-487-6512.:)

hotquads1
07-10-2007, 01:19 PM
hey dirtrack I sent you a pm

kenjolly
07-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Marc,
Thanks for all the info today,now all i need is to find a few thousand dollars and im in the game.

Thanks Ken

drr5
07-10-2007, 07:48 PM
cmon ken i know you have that money tree in the back yard like the rest of us!:D

kenjolly
07-10-2007, 08:52 PM
I had 2 of them, but the last hurricain got 1 and the drought got the other.

Full Throttle00
07-12-2007, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by kenjolly
Who has a-arm besides koolkids and Hetrick,and what width is better for mx.
what kind of prices for these upgrades.

We have new Fox Podeum suspension for our new Drr's.

We have been running the float series on single A-arm's for almost a year and have been extremely pleased with the performance and service from Fox.

Bike will be here any day.

Glenn Keaton
09-02-2007, 06:17 AM
my son is 10 and races a drr 90, he is built like he is a line man for Ohio State, 5 foot and 145 lbs, and we never have had a money tree, we have the 44 inch arms and stock swing arm, we have the stock shocks as stiff as we can go, and iam afraid his weight it will not hold up, can you recomend shocks that we can use that will not kill my weekly allowance , he has only raced hairscrambles thus far, which is probablly a good thing, because sounds like the swing arm wont take his punishment, this is all new to us and thanks alot .

humboldt hills
09-02-2007, 06:49 AM
Glenn,
Wish there was a cheap solution. You better be wearing a diaper when you hear what the elka's run!!!!!!!

bulldogfallon
09-02-2007, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by Glenn Keaton
my son is 10 and races a drr 90, he is built like he is a line man for Ohio State, 5 foot and 145 lbs, and we never have had a money tree, we have the 44 inch arms and stock swing arm, we have the stock shocks as stiff as we can go, and iam afraid his weight it will not hold up, can you recomend shocks that we can use that will not kill my weekly allowance , he has only raced hairscrambles thus far, which is probablly a good thing, because sounds like the swing arm wont take his punishment, this is all new to us and thanks alot .

The rear shock can be replaced by and Elka ranging from $325 to $425 MSRP.

It will set for your rider's weight and type of riding...

The new swimgarm will be here soon....I have a prototype that is being tested this week..

DRR will take care of it's customers

hotquads1
09-02-2007, 04:23 PM
that is a big kid 145 lbs , the stock set-up will not hold up long with his weight , and he will only get bigger .I think DRR claims their quad is designed for drivers up to 130 lbs in stock form, works best for 70 - 90 lbs. aftermarket shocks will be a must for the long term especially if he gets near a jump or MX track.
marc

Glenn Keaton
10-26-2007, 12:19 PM
thanks to Marc at Hot Quads, i think the elkas will be what we need, i guess it will be money well spent,my son will only get bigger and the DRR is his ride for a few more years