PDA

View Full Version : Running Question

JRP
07-09-2007, 09:33 AM
Alright well all last week while i was at the beach, i ran in the mornings for about 15-20min. I felt fine, but today i went and ran 5miles and it was hard and i almsot felt like i was going to pass out when i was done... the thing im wondering is, if i keep doing that, will it like hurt me, like will anything bad happen? lol Might be a stupid question, but i figure if i do that for a week or two, it will only get easier...

Ghost-Rider
07-09-2007, 09:41 AM
Just how bad is it hurting you?

If its causing bad chest pains i would do a little less.

JRP
07-09-2007, 10:04 AM
na its not anything in my chest, jus my heart is pumping hard. its more like in my head. then again, it is 98 degrees at 10 in the morning when i run, so that could be a factor.... Also how much is to much? I really want to start getting up around 7 and running, lifting, biking and jump roping(no homo). But i dont know if thats too much for someone just really starting off, or is it good?

Jake250ex
07-09-2007, 10:08 AM
I used to have the same thing in my advanced physical conditioning classes. Theyd run our balls off and I felt so tired afterwords that it was hard to move or keep my eyes open. It was pretty scary. But it ALWAYS went away in about 10 minutes. I wondered if anyone else felt the same. The best thing to do is just keep moving because you wont notice it.

JRP
07-09-2007, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by Jake250ex
I used to have the same thing in my advanced physical conditioning classes. Theyd run our balls off and I felt so tired afterwords that it was hard to move or keep my eyes open. It was pretty scary. But it ALWAYS went away in about 10 minutes. I wondered if anyone else felt the same. The best thing to do is just keep moving because you wont notice it.

after im done running, i always pace and walk around for about 10minutes while i drink water. if you sit down, thats when it hits you and it makes me feel sick.

250xridamatt
07-09-2007, 10:14 AM
Going from 15-20 minutes all the way up to a 5 mile jog is a big jump. Tone it down a little bit and work up. How about for the whole next week, you run for 30 minutes. The next week, 35 or 40 minutes. I am training for soccer right now, and we are doing the same thing. All kinds of running, starting out easy, and by the last week, running a ton.

Ghost-Rider
07-09-2007, 10:15 AM
Yup you need to walk a bit after or it will hit you.As we learned in biology its latic acid fermentation,you have a buildup that will last you about 30 seconds of running then you start burning and if you don't pace after your muscles will probably burn.

XCAdam89
07-09-2007, 02:00 PM
Look into a camelback when you run. I know a lot of people mix gatorade and water in theirs for XC races to help with endurance. It might help you too...

honda4life72
07-09-2007, 02:12 PM
drink alot of water , if u piss clear u are hydrated , haha .
thats all i got ,

JRP
07-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by honda4life72
drink alot of water , if u piss clear u are hydrated , haha .
thats all i got ,

oh believe me, i drink tons of water. thanks for all the replys guys.

STEVENJANNA
07-09-2007, 04:12 PM
Your body will tell you what's too much. As a rule of thumb, if it causes pain, it's too much. If you're going to increase your cardio stamina get yourself a good heart rate monitor. Check out these editorial series by Phil Cole

http://www.atvexposed.com/issues/editorials/philcole/cardiopage1.html

http://www.atvexposed.com/issues/editorials/philcole/strengthpage1.html

http://www.atvexposed.com/issues/editorials/philcole/hydration1.html

http://www.atvexposed.com/issues/editorials/philcole/preracefitness.html

It's some really good stuff.

JRP
07-09-2007, 05:04 PM
yea ive read all of those from phil cole, and when he talks about a weekly schedule for cardio, theres no way i can run 10x1min sprints, then stop and go again for another 10x1min sprints. lol

trxwannbe
07-09-2007, 07:28 PM
you should try spreading the workouts throughout the day instead of one after the other because your body will burn through the food you eat in the morning and then some fat and then it starts to actually burn muscle for energy and they pretty much ruins the point of the workout so instead of doing it all at once do some things in the morning and some at night, drink lots of water and find something you enjoy that is a good source of protein and not much else and other than that just eat healthy and you'll see the results that you want

JRP
07-09-2007, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by trxwannbe
you should try spreading the workouts throughout the day instead of one after the other because your body will burn through the food you eat in the morning and then some fat and then it starts to actually burn muscle for energy and they pretty much ruins the point of the workout so instead of doing it all at once do some things in the morning and some at night, drink lots of water and find something you enjoy that is a good source of protein and not much else and other than that just eat healthy and you'll see the results that you want

oh i dont cram them all in together. i run in the mornings(8-9) lift in the afternoons, and jump rope in the evenings. I tell you what though, who would of known how hard jump roping is. I worked up a sweat in under a minute of jump roping. :p One more thing.... My sis talked to her friends boy friend, and he is a physicall trainer. He said that i shouldnt be running 4+ miles in 90+ degree weather. It was 95 today when i went to run and it will be the same for tomorrow, so should i still go or should i cut it down?

JRP
07-10-2007, 09:40 AM
went running once again today and it felt great! it took me 43minutes to do the 5mile run. It sure is hard to do it, but i feel awsome when i am done.

trxwannbe
07-10-2007, 07:58 PM
i know how you feel running is awesome way to get some exercise and work out some frustration without causing any damage just wait until you can really push it and your hittin 12 miles a day like my cross country coach had us doin that feels really good when its over although i hope i never have to work back to that kind of condition again

mine
07-10-2007, 08:16 PM
im not to sure but i heard to much running can lower testosteron and if not done correctly, it can damge joints severly. Can somebody approve of this?

honda4life72
07-11-2007, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by mine
im not to sure but i heard to much running can lower testosteron and if not done correctly, it can damge joints severly. Can somebody approve of this? i dunno , but its a good excuse to tell my football coach :devil:

N300exJ
07-11-2007, 07:44 AM
yes it can ruin joints. Most professional runners will tell you to run on grass or dirt/sand. Pavement is the worst thing for your joints! The beach is the best.

JRP
07-11-2007, 09:06 AM
ya, i go from pavement to gravel but im mainly on pavement. I just got in from going for another run. My left shoulder, like right under my shoulder kills. It feels like i pulled a muscle, which i guess could of happen from my arms going back n forth. idk though. I am going to be running untill friday, but i think I am going to take off saturday/sunday. My legs are dead tired, like hard to walk on they are so tired, so i think 2 days should be enough time to get stronger.

bwamos
07-11-2007, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by JRP
Alright well all last week while i was at the beach, i ran in the mornings for about 15-20min.

I wouldn't run every day. You're overtraining. You can actually see decreased performance when overtraining.

Run every other day w/ cardio. And do strength training on the off days. Pick one day a week as a recovery day w/o a workout.

honda4life72
07-11-2007, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by JRP
ya, i go from pavement to gravel but im mainly on pavement. I just got in from going for another run. My left shoulder, like right under my shoulder kills. It feels like i pulled a muscle, which i guess could of happen from my arms going back n forth. idk though. I am going to be running untill friday, but i think I am going to take off saturday/sunday. My legs are dead tired, like hard to walk on they are so tired, so i think 2 days should be enough time to get stronger. my shoulder hurts to arfter running alot , except my right , it feels real tight and like it has pressure under it , but i never figured out why it does that. :confused:

JRP
07-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by bwamos
I wouldn't run every day. You're overtraining. You can actually see decreased performance when overtraining.

Run every other day w/ cardio. And do strength training on the off days. Pick one day a week as a recovery day w/o a workout.

im not going to run tomorrow because my legs are dead tired, i can barely walk down the stairs. they just dont have any energy left, lol.

mx428
07-11-2007, 12:27 PM
Ditch running, it's high impact. Go to the gym and hop on a stationary or elliptical.

JRP
07-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by mx428
Ditch running, it's high impact. Go to the gym and hop on a stationary or elliptical.

ya i know, my sis is addicted to ellipticals, but i dont have a gym membership, nor do i have money to get into one. All i have is outside and a treadmill...:ermm:

JRP
07-11-2007, 12:33 PM
what about if i only ran 2 times a week, and the other 3 days i biked 5-8miles?

Ghost-Rider
07-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Bike sounds good. I'm the kind or person who cant run for crap but can sprint short distances, give me a bike though and i can all day any speed/pace.

trxwannbe
07-11-2007, 04:04 PM
in all honest running every day isn't as bad for you as they make it out to be just don't be pushing your limit every day set something that is tough for you to get to but you have enough to for another half mile to a mile and it shouldn't show you any decreased performance unless you never give yourself any recovery time like occasionally take a day off and never run within two days of a race so your ready to give it your all when your motos come up

JRP
07-11-2007, 04:56 PM
i think im going to bike some tomorrow and lift, then on friday run, but not lift. Saturday/Sunday do some type of physicall activity. Man this would be alot easier if i had my quad, lol. Im 6' 164lbs, and im trying to get skinnier. What do you guys suggest for a diet? I dont drink soda, just water, milk and orange juice. My normal schedule of eating goes like this.... Wake up, have a bowl of kashi cereal and maybe some fruit in a can, then i have a sandwhich on rye bread(dont eat white bread) with ham, turkey, provolone cheese, peperoni, and mustard. Then dinner. And when i get a little hungry i usually chug a bottle of water n eat a twizler, lmao. I need to stop eaitin the twizler and have fruit. haha. What do you guys suggest i add or take out of my diet? Eat more/ Eat less?

JRP
07-11-2007, 08:32 PM
ttt anyone?

Jake250ex
07-11-2007, 08:58 PM
you sound like too much of a health nut.

try guzzling beer and eating a pizza.

NAH, really it sounds extremely healthy. if you arent losing weight i wouldnt do anymore because with all the work your doing and dieting, your probably at your natural healthy size. not everyone is born with the genetics to look like ronnie coleman.

mine
07-11-2007, 09:01 PM
I would of IM'ed ya but your away message is on, I've been on the body building forums lately, and they say that a good way to build up stamina is to do sprints, whether it be on a bike or running. start off at 20 second sprints, 20 times a a day and then move up (gradually) to 15 sprints at 45 seconds a piece.

Eating a can of tuna, before or after a weight workout is good,It is a naturall food loaded with protein that will help with muscle repair. Chocolate milk and blue berries are also good after a good workout.blueberries are great anytime.. high in fiber and antioxidants... i mean not much to say about that. Chocolate milk will have simple carbohydrates to replenish your muscles and reduce lactic acid.

Check out the weight loss section on bodybuilding.com

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16

Their ore blogs and posts on there from pretty much everything from what to eat to what workouts are good to even which supplements are god and bad for you.

You can find my newby body building posts their aswell.:(

All in all, i'm in the same shoes as you, yet im the same height and about 70lbs heavier, What i'd do to be at your weight bro, lol

I'll catch ya AIM sometime,

07250ex
07-11-2007, 09:31 PM
JRP trust me 6 feet tall and 164 pounds u dont wana lose weight what u wanna do is make more muscle and gain more weight then u already have

Jake250ex
07-11-2007, 10:01 PM
If you get thick and bulky then your muscles just get pumped up and fatigued quickly...

not good for riding!

07250ex
07-11-2007, 10:07 PM
ehh

JRP
07-12-2007, 08:24 AM
ya see i dont want to get built, i am just going to get fit. Ppl compare my size to chad weinen last year. I want to be fit like him this year. No Homo.

rtm1216
07-12-2007, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by JRP
ttt anyone?

Your diet sounds okay to me. The only suggestion I would make is to ditch the canned fruit and go to fresh. The canned stuff is usually in a juice that is almost pure sugar. I would also suggest eating food realy higin oretein right after a workout. It will make a world of difference in your recovery times.

Are you sleeping up to 8hrs a night? When trying to lose weight / get in shape the proper amount of sleep is crucial. This is when your body does it's growing / repairing. Good luck.

Oh yeah, if you are running I would look into getting the proper shoes for it. They make a world of difference. If at all possible see about getting some that are made specifically for you (custom). it is well worth the money and will greatly decrease the damage you are doing to your joints by running on a hard surface.

JRP
07-13-2007, 07:17 AM
Originally posted by rtm1216
Your diet sounds okay to me. The only suggestion I would make is to ditch the canned fruit and go to fresh. The canned stuff is usually in a juice that is almost pure sugar. I would also suggest eating food realy higin oretein right after a workout. It will make a world of difference in your recovery times.

Are you sleeping up to 8hrs a night? When trying to lose weight / get in shape the proper amount of sleep is crucial. This is when your body does it's growing / repairing. Good luck.

Oh yeah, if you are running I would look into getting the proper shoes for it. They make a world of difference. If at all possible see about getting some that are made specifically for you (custom). it is well worth the money and will greatly decrease the damage you are doing to your joints by running on a hard surface.

thanks alot man, alot of good info right there. Yea i know what you mean about the canned fruit. My mom just got plums so i will start eating those. I always get 8+hrs of sleep a night. I will look into new shoes. Right now i have an old pair of addidas i wear, and they are pretty rough, lol:p