PDA

View Full Version : how to tighten the chain?

04blasterkid
07-09-2007, 06:18 AM
i picked up a 87 250r the a couple days ago, was riding and that chain poped off.... its got alot of slack so im wounderin if there is a way and how to tighten it? i had a blaster and the carrier was on a swivle thing so it was easy. but i cant figure this one out

Tyler

86 Quad R
07-09-2007, 07:45 AM
go HERE (http://manuals.dqt.be/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=36&func=select&id=6) and down load. it will help you plenty. :cool:

04blasterkid
07-09-2007, 02:17 PM
iv tried, it dont work

wilkin250r
07-09-2007, 02:40 PM
Here is a picture of your swingarm. The red arrows point to a couple of allen bolts. Loosen them really loose, but you don't need to take them all the way out.

The blue arrows point to three slots right next to the sprocket. These slots are all part of the same metal piece (called your axle carrier, or just carrier for short). You need to stick a screwdriver or something into one (or more) of these slots and rotate the entire thing backwards. This will pull your chain tighter.

If it hasn't been adjusted in a long time, it might be really stiff. I have bent and broken many screwdrivers trying to adjust my chain. For tips on a stubborn carrier, see this thread (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=290481&highlight=tool) .

Don't make it too tight. With the bottom section tight, you should be able to wiggle the top section up and down one inch. (1/2 inch up, 1/2inch down).

Once you have it at the spot you want, tighten the allen bolts again. This will "hold" the carrier in place.

04blasterkid
07-09-2007, 03:46 PM
thank you very much, this is the kinda of response i was hoping for...

RichM1983
07-10-2007, 10:14 PM
I may be wrong but I thought on those types of swingarms the center bolt that points in towards the bearing carrier needs to be removed to rotate the bearing carrier.

86 Quad R
07-11-2007, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by RichM1983
I may be wrong but I thought on those types of swingarms the center bolt that points in towards the bearing carrier needs to be removed to rotate the bearing carrier.

yuppers. ;)

zedicus00
07-11-2007, 10:54 AM
nope, its only there as a stopper to keep it from going all the way around. and it has to be removed to remove the carrier. but not to adjust it.

atleast thats how mine was.

86 Quad R
07-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by zedicus00
nope, its only there as a stopper to keep it from going all the way around. and it has to be removed to remove the carrier. but not to adjust it.

atleast thats how mine was.

you know. i think ur right. its been toooo long since i've dealt with a stocker. :huh

svahle
07-11-2007, 11:25 AM
Here is something to remember. When you tighten your chain, grab the axle and try to move it up, down, left, right, forward and backwards. If there is play, you likely need new carrier bearings. When the carrier bearings get loose, it can cause the chain to loosen. If the carrier bearings are bad, the chain can loosen again very soon. This is important because a loose chain can come off (as 04blasterkid knows). Sometimes no harm is done from a thrown chain. But, all too ofter, a thrown chain causes case damage. In my case, I got a hole in the case even with a case saver. My buddy had the same problem on his YFZ, was left with some major case damage, and really screwed up a 3 day trip to the dunes.

The moral of the story: check your carrier bearings everytime you tighten the chain. A bad carrier bearing might be the reason the chain became loose in the first place. This will save you $$$$, time, and frustration.

04blasterkid
07-11-2007, 02:06 PM
well i melted the piston yesterday.. so this ant a big deal anymore :( .... but yea there is some play in the bearings, is it hard to change them? i need new bearings and bushings everywhere, the frame/arms need paint this thing is pissing me off... but i think im gona tear it down, spray paint the frame and arms for now, send the motor to neli and get it ported maybe and a rebuild... depending on what kinda deal he can cut me...

o yea... if your bearings are bad for the axle, dont wait, change them, i had a blaster and though, hmm what els can happen? well to my suprise the bearings blew right out and screwed my complete carrier all up.. so yea change them haha

svahle
07-11-2007, 02:36 PM
Whether or not changing the carrier bearings is easy depends on several variables. How bad are the bearings, what condition is the carrier in, is the carrier seized in the swing arm, are the bearings seized to the carrier, is there excessive damage to the bearings, carrier, and/or swing arm, etc. etc. So, its tough to say. If your R still has the original, swingarm, carrier, and bearings, it may be a bit of a chore. I am sure if you will do a search you will find the process for changing the carrier bearings.

Scott-300ex
07-14-2007, 12:08 PM
86-87 loosen 2 swinger/carrier bearing bolts 88-89 loosen 4.

Throw a prybar in the left side of it move it down, tighten them up.

:D