PDA

View Full Version : Clutch, or tranny?

250X_project
07-08-2007, 09:08 PM
I rode a bike('01 KX80) today that has some issues. Starts, and runs great, but then doesn't ride so smooth. When you take off, it will ride fine and suddenly jolt you and the clutch would slip. Up threw the gears the clutch will slip. Then when you want to go back to neutral, and let the clutch out, it wont move at all but you can hear the trans grinding. I have a Z50 with an auto clutch, that would grind before i adjusted the clutch. So I was wondering If it was just the clutch fibers or if the tranny may have some issues as well.

Also, when rolling back with the clutch full disengaged, it will jolt you there also and act the same as if you let the clutch out when in gear and not running.

I've never experienced quite a thing so please shed some light on this for me. Thanks a lot.

-Adam

RiderTRX400ex
07-08-2007, 09:59 PM
if the clutch is slipping, its time for new plates.. since you said it jumps in and out of the clutch slip, maybe the basket is worn as to where there are big grooves in it and the plates get "stuck"

250X_project
07-09-2007, 10:44 AM
Oh, okay. I know it needs fibers, but I never thought about the basket. That makes sense, because it feels as the clutch binds up. Thanks!

-Adam

250X_project
07-10-2007, 07:51 AM
Has anyone else experienced this? I could get this bike pretty cheap because it has problems, but I have never had such a thing occur before. Let me know what you guys have seen. Thanks.

-Adam