PDA

View Full Version : jetting questions

jmh460
07-08-2007, 07:54 PM
i just bought a 01 400ex for $1000 as a fixer-upper. i am goin to bore it out to a 440 and install a JE 12:1 440 kit and a stage 2 white bros cam. it needs all new plastcs, new cluth basket and clutch handle, new brake handle, carrier bearings headlights and other minor parts. it has a big gun exhaust on it right now that is basically shot. i plan on installing power bomb headers with an HMF slip on. what kind of jet kit do yall think i need and where can i get it to get it runnin right? and also it has a rath racing stainless steel steering stem that is slightly bent, will it weaken it very much to heat it and bend it back?

250x_kyle
07-08-2007, 08:46 PM
go with a dyna jet jet kit. the instructions have enough detail and idiot could use it if u have no experience at all with carb work.

jmh460
07-08-2007, 08:54 PM
alright thanks i really appreciate all the help i can get, i dunno, after readin some of the forums on here im not so sure if i mite want to put a 416 on it for now, the only prob is that i cant hardly find a 416 12:1 kit newhere under $250. if i did go wit a 416 is there a certian stage kit that i shud go with?

CarGuy7a
07-08-2007, 09:21 PM
i'm not for sure b/c i haven't got to the big bore point yet, but i think you can do a 416 bore with the stock cylinder sleeve. that may be why you can't find a kit. you can get the piston kit with the rings and such without the sleeve. (somone correct me if i'm wrong).

as for the dynojet kit. i have one in mine and the instructions were easy to follow. i learned more about the jetting and adjustments when i got my clymer manual. i have a 160dj main in mine and my kit goes to like a 180 i think.