PDA

View Full Version : front sprocket size?

madtom316
10-22-2002, 07:22 PM
i have a polaris trail boss 325 its a family quad [im savin up for my own sport quad] well i need to buy a newe front sprocket and stock it is a 11 tooth well i want more speed but will buyin a bigger sproket make it harder to do wheelies with? i can do like 45-50 mph right know how much will a 12 tooth sproket make it go [it does not have toi be exact] and wut will it do to my power and one last question i liek 2 ride in sandpits will it make it worse climbing hills and stuff and make me sink into the sand more. thanks for ur time i appreciate it

eldoexrider01
10-22-2002, 07:31 PM
this kinda needs to go in the non-honda forum but since ya only got 13 posts ill give ya a break :D i dont know about ur bike but on mine i went up one tooth and got a rough estemate around 5 mph or so on top end. but i lost alil low end. and yes it will be alil bit more difficult to weellie (sp) unless u got gobbs of power (which i doubt u got more power than a modded mx bike) no offense. but and it will hurt you going to a 12 on front climbin hills. and if u need a new front sprocket cuz its worn its best to replace front and back sprocket and chain all at once. if not ur new parts will wear out fast. hope this helps and hope u get ur sport quad u want. i know i like mine.

madtom316
10-22-2002, 07:35 PM
so if i gear it down i will loss speed but take off faster right ? and it will make it easier to hill climb and do wheelies

eldoexrider01
10-22-2002, 07:39 PM
yeah, if u keep or stock sprocket or go down one tooth in the front it will have more low end take and climbin but u will loose top end. and if u cant go down one more on the front then u can put more teeth on back to get more low end. usually (well on my bike 2 or 3 more teeth on back is equal to taking around one off of the front. hope this isnt confusing.