PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak

rooster300ex
07-08-2007, 10:37 AM
I got my motor back, installed it hooked up everything then I put oil in it. It wouldn't do anything. So the next morning I went out to mess with it and there is oil leaking right below the front sprocket on the frame? I tighten the bolt alil more. What else can I do. Its leaking out of the sidecase. Go to the pic and I have it marked where its leaking. I turned the bolts a few more turns but its still leaking. And by it not doing anything. I mean it won't do anything when I try to turn it over to get the oil to the topend before I fire it up. anyways do ya'll think I should take it back to the shop to fix this or can I do it myself? Its a new gasket too.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5925330

RiderTRX400ex
07-08-2007, 12:31 PM
it wont do anything? what do you mean?

sounds like a bad seal or something.

rooster300ex
07-08-2007, 08:14 PM
It won't even click,buzz or try to turn over. The battery is bad. I'm using a charger on it seems it would click or something. I edited the first post. You might wanna read it again.

RiderTRX400ex
07-08-2007, 10:03 PM
so its leaking from the sidecase gasket or around the seal on the sprocket shaft? yea you could fix it, try a new gasket, or pull the cover off and examine the one that on it now.. as far as doing nothing.. check all electrical connections and ground

GL

rooster300ex
07-08-2007, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by RiderTRX400ex
so its leaking from the sidecase gasket or around the seal on the sprocket shaft? yea you could fix it, try a new gasket, or pull the cover off and examine the one that on it now.. as far as doing nothing.. check all electrical connections and ground

GL

No its not leaking around the shifter shaft. As for the electrical I cut the starter button wires and stuck them together and nothing happend so its not that. It will turn over by shorting out the silonoid.

u_want_some
07-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Sounds like a problem that I had with my 300ex at one time. You have not tightened the bolt too tight have you? If you took it to a shop they should have tightened the bolt to specified torques which are listed in the service manual. The bolt hole treads could be stripped which will cause your boltnot to tighten completly. Hope this helped a little on the bolt side.

Are you getting spark?

RiderTRX400ex
07-09-2007, 05:36 PM
oh if its leaking around the shift shaft just replace the seal...

u_want_some
07-09-2007, 05:48 PM
No its not leaking around the shifter shaft.

Didnt he just write that it was NOT leaking from the shifter shaft?

RiderTRX400ex
07-09-2007, 06:10 PM
oh my bad, misread his reply.

sorry for all the grief I have caused you u_want_some.

:rolleyes:

u_want_some
07-10-2007, 05:38 AM
No grief here, Just wish people would read the entire thread before posting replyies.