PDA

View Full Version : Whow has removed the choke?

luvmyex
10-22-2002, 06:51 PM
I saw the other day wher some of you guys have done this.I think it was a older post im not sure.But anyway,in doing this is it harder to start.I know they can be he11 to start when it gets colder,Even in summer once in awhile.I know about the 42 piliot jet and even went and bought one today.Question #2 Is it really worth doing it?Does it really make much differance?I asked the guy at legacy today if he had heard of anyone doing this and he said no.So i just want to be sure about this before i do it.And the last question,Can this cause any problems or has it caused any problems with you so far?Thanks for any help,just looking for a lil edge where i can get it.Oh yea,should i go up on the main jet also?Its still stock,and ive vented the airbox and hollowed the stock pipe(no baffels) out but still have the end cap on there.

redrider ex
10-22-2002, 07:01 PM
you get a little better throttle responce and another reason i done it is because after a while the choke lever will get wore out and when you jump and land the choke lever will fall and choke the motor i have had no problems with mine after doing this and mine starts fine just give it a couple of pumps on the throttle and it will fire up. and yes you could probley go up on the jet size.

eldoexrider01
10-22-2002, 07:45 PM
i didnt know u did that to ur carb. ha i never asked thou. im thinkin bout doin mine.

oynot400
10-22-2002, 07:52 PM
One of the guys I ride with did it to his when he did his 440 along with grinding the headpipe. He is very happy with his, it start much better now. :)

redrider ex
10-22-2002, 07:56 PM
i did that like a year ago because it go to where every time i went to Baroid to hill climb and on the way up the hill i would hit a washout or jump the chock would come on and i would loose power and bearly make it up the hill.

eldoexrider01
10-22-2002, 08:31 PM
dang that sucks i might hafta get some tips from ya one day. or come up and chill and we can work on it.

redrider ex
10-22-2002, 08:50 PM
you should come up and ride satarday with me and the boy in the paraid.

eldoexrider01
10-22-2002, 09:00 PM
yall got a parade?? what time sat.?

redrider ex
10-22-2002, 09:04 PM
:devil

Varmit57
10-22-2002, 09:26 PM
I take mine out for the race season then put it back when the cold weather hits.

I love it........Cheap HP

BrianWrightR6
10-22-2002, 09:53 PM
There are some pictures here of where I took mine out. I have not got to ride it yet because I am waiting on a jet kit.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30463&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

bmf400ex
10-23-2002, 08:49 AM
i did it to mine, it threw in the 42 and its a pain in the *** to start. if u give it any throttle it won't start, but if u just touch the button, BOOM fires immediately but then dies a couple seconds later. i was gonna put the choke back on but i fugged it up so thats out tha question.

chris4w1
10-23-2002, 08:56 AM
i dont no about taking the choke out but if it is hard to start it when it is removed you can take you air filter off and put your had over the intake i half to do this with my fcr

UglyMotha™
10-23-2002, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by bmf400ex
i did it to mine, it threw in the 42 and its a pain in the *** to start. if u give it any throttle it won't start, but if u just touch the button, BOOM fires immediately but then dies a couple seconds later. i was gonna put the choke back on but i fugged it up so thats out tha question.

i use to have that problem cause i would only pump the throttle like twice and then hold it at 1/4 and crank on it and i would end up have to take the air cleaner off and hold my hand over the carb to get it to run, but try pumping it like 8 or 10 times and then hold it at 1/4 and it should fire and keep running after i started to doin this it starts right away and keeps running

YZROOSTINYA
10-23-2002, 09:13 AM
i took mine off. put in a 42 pilot

i pump the throttle 3 times hard to get gas in the head, hit the button and when it fires up which is right away i just hold the throttle so it runs a little higher than idle. after about 15 secs its fine and it idles no prob.

i had to do that with the choke on so no diff here.

i did it because i am putting in a 416. i noticed it held the r's better on the hills

i will let you know how it works out with the 416 friday

bmf400ex
10-23-2002, 11:46 AM
kinda hard to hold it 1/4 open cuz i have a 1/4 turn twist throttle. what else do u need, wtfo and stop.:D

luvmyex
10-23-2002, 08:44 PM
ok the starting isnt bad.Can you really tell a differance?And how much.

bmf400ex
10-24-2002, 09:04 AM
i did the choke mod after i owned it for two days so i can't say for sure if it did anything. I can tell u that the difference would prolly only show on a dyno, hard to tell a seat of the pants difference. if your concerned about doing it, then just wait. but i would recommend still doing the 42 pilot.

cals400ex
10-24-2002, 11:12 PM
i also put in a 42 pilot jet. i have not removed the choke yet but i thought about it. i also can not get mine started without the choke even in the summer. i don't know if my skrew needs to come out a little more or what. i will pump the throttle a couple times and try to start it but it just keeps cranking over and over and it never fires up so i have to use my choke. who knows!!

skinrider440
10-25-2002, 11:28 AM
what do you do to (grind the headpipe)?

2000 wiesco 440 kit
maier orange race plastic
Skin graphics kit (yellow)
pro circuit t-4 silencer
works triple rate front shocks
white bros rev limiter
K&n filter
yellow shockwears and outerwear
razrs all around
pro design teather switch
AC front bumper w/ mudscreen
sunstar sprockets f/b
rk 520 xring chain
nacs snorkel plug
lsr p brake block off
renthal fat bars (spader bend, a must)
pep ez pull clutch
motion pro cables
customized steering stem
metalic black chrome frame
flipped front rims
custom built lights

MOUSE
10-25-2002, 11:46 AM
take the head pipe loose and inside the pipe where it bolts to the head there should be some welds there yoy can take a dremel to and help it flow better

buttfungus
10-26-2002, 09:32 AM
I removed the choke on our 02 400ex and have tried the 40 and 42 pilot jet. I can't tell any difference in the 3 pilots as far as cold starting! I am running dynojet stage 2 k&n/outerwear without lid, dynojet needle(3rd clip), air/fuel screw 3.5 turns out. It starts the same with the stock 38 pilot as the 40 and 42? Any thoughts?

Wheelie
10-26-2002, 09:53 AM
I noticed improved throttle response, and a small, but noticable, power increase. Starting can be a PITA in the colder weather (below 40 degrees), but not enough to be concerned about.

buttfungus
10-26-2002, 10:25 PM
I have noticed a better throttle response as well. I haven't seen an advantage to the large pilot jets though. Maybe, it's just not cold enough?

luvmyex
10-27-2002, 08:31 AM
well i did it on fri.I dont really know if it helped or not though.Cause i Finnally rejetted when i did it.So ive gone up to a 42 pilot, removed the choke and gone from a 148 to a 158 main.All at the same time.I can see a differance from before but not sure what helped the most.I will really tell today.The guy i usally ride with is always saying how his always wants to run over me when we hit the long straights.So im gonna race him across the dam today and see if ive made a differance.Yes he would usally beat me by a lenght or two when we did race.Maybe not anymore:D

luvmyex
10-27-2002, 05:13 PM
Well i got my bubble busted:( i raced him across the dam twice today and lost the same both times.Stayed right with him till around 4th gear and 5th he really started pulling away on me.Were both geared the same only differance is he has a WB E series.To my Modified stock.And i think that is the differance.I didnt think about it till on the way home but i should have switched quads and raced again to see if it was me or the quad.We did switch and ride for a while but didnt race, and mine seems to have a more of a instant throttle responce and his hit more toward the middle to top.I just dont know.I want to beat him so bad,hes the type that likes to talk shi$ saying hes got everybodys milk!LOLJust kidding around though.But damnit he does have mine and i want t o change that crap!

cals400ex
10-29-2002, 12:30 AM
if your are losing top end i would put that 15 tooth back on. i have done a little trial and error with these sprockets. i have noticed that on a track the smaller sprocket will come to an advantage. but, in a drag race when you consistently have it floored the smaller tooth was hurting me more than helping. i actually went from a 15 to a 16 and my friend stayed with the 15. now that i have the 16 on i did not lose any power in a drag. i did notice on the track you do need to slip the clutch more though. he still doesn't beat me in the 1st and 2nd gear range and i actually did gain a slight top end speed.

luvmyex
10-29-2002, 07:42 PM
I dont want to go back to a 15 cause i just trail ride.And it lugs to bad on the hills with the 22" tires on a 15th sprocket.And i really dont drag much.maybe once every two or three months.