PDA

View Full Version : HRC kit for 450r

Draven
07-07-2007, 09:40 PM
Well i just bought a honda 450r 2008 SE. Pick it up monday along with an HRC kit. I have alot of friends with them and after riding them i was set on getting one.

Anyways there question i have is, is the HRC kit for the 450r worth it? I think it was priced at $300 or so without labor. I am wondering should i wait a while to get it? or should i install it before i break it in.

Also is the power gain noticable? I though i read somewhere its 5-8 hp gain so i guess what im getting at is the power actually there and is it worth the buck.

Oh yea for anyone planning on trolling and flaming, i have read some other forums and magazines but i figured i'd come to a place where people ride them and ask for their opinions and EXPERIENCES.

Thanks

pro-rider46
07-07-2007, 09:50 PM
i dont have a hrc kit but kinda made one with a hot cam and opened exhaust and no air box lid and a huge power difference. plus since i have a 05 and you have a 08 there are differences in the hrc kits. i am assuming it is like the 07 hrc kit. so you will get a cdi sub harness, a exhaust header, cam, snorkel, airbox lid, new baffle thing, and jets. that thing should rip. all you need is a new slip on exhaust in addition to the hrc header and your ready to rock. you should put it in before break in because you will have to break in the new cam anyways. and you can sell the brand new stock cam if you want.

ps. congradulations on your 08 450r and your the first person ive seen with the 2008 model

Draven
07-07-2007, 10:08 PM
hehe thanks...you run air box lid? I read somewhere you aren't suppose to run em when u do the kit or even in your case upgrade, this true or you just run it for the power gain? (i know about lid off, run my shee like that :] ) I was gona ask aren't you worried about dust and water but i guess its just because it new lol :P

Draven
07-07-2007, 10:29 PM
hehe thanks...you run air box lid? I read somewhere you aren't suppose to run em when u do the kit or even in your case upgrade, this true or you just run it for the power gain? (i know about lid off, run my shee like that :] ) I was gona ask aren't you worried about dust and water but i guess its just because it new lol :P

450rJam
07-08-2007, 07:02 AM
thats one of the diff. in his 05 to your 08 (05 runs a modified lid and 08 runs no lid)

make them put the kit on before you take it home (my opinion is break the cam and kit in at same time your breaking in the rest of the motor)

YES its worth it (most performance you can get for the money)

keeps warantee also

450rJam
07-08-2007, 07:06 AM
oh yeah,
tell them you want the old parts
someone sooner or later will need something
and you may be able to make a dollar back.

CHEVYZ
07-08-2007, 06:21 PM
The kit makes a huge difference on the bike in every perfomance aspect related to the engine. It runs better, starts better, and most importanly makes your bike much faster all around. IMO it is the best bang for the buck on the 450r.

Draven
07-08-2007, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. Any of you have them put it on? wondering how long it will take to install.

CHEVYZ
07-08-2007, 06:47 PM
I have put in a few. It doesn't really take all that long to do everything (properly). Usually around three hours, but if you are new to working with engines, it will take a little longer.

450rJam
07-08-2007, 07:56 PM
they can install it in a few hours, I signed the papers/went out to eat/goofed off around the mall/then came back and they had it ready to go.

the service dept. had a window I was peeking through to watch them. (they keeped calling me "hot rod") I wasnt going to take it home without the kit installed.

I did some research and headed out (got an 06er in feb. of 06)
I got to the stealership and the salesman seen me showing my wife a 05 450r, he walks up and says "want to take one home today?"
"I said you got the 06 in black?"
he did so I told him I wanted it for 7k out the door (he said no prob) until I explained to him it had to have the hrc kit installed and I would be needing a helmet (my old one was red)
got down to $7,028.00
so we went to sign the papers and they tried to add something called TAX, and tried to sell me a service agreement and extended warranty.
I just told them I didnt want the service/warranty/or the TAX
thought I was going to have to leave without it.

I was ready to go to another stealership and start the game all over again, and they let me get to my truck and start backing out when they came running. (I started laughing out loud, too funny)

ratso
07-09-2007, 12:01 PM
HRC kit is well worth the money. I would suggest putting 25 hrs on the motor before installing the kit.

Draven
07-09-2007, 12:48 PM
why do you say 25 hours? others are saying do it before you break it in. just wondering :)

XXXRACER165
07-10-2007, 06:59 AM
I build a lot of engines, give her 10 min steady throttle, then let her eat. Alot of people baby their motor too much, and it's
actually harder on the mill that way than if you romp on it too early.

450rJam
07-10-2007, 03:36 PM
what is the mill ?

XXXRACER165
07-10-2007, 04:06 PM
Just a fancy shmancy word for motor.;)

bigH
07-10-2007, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Draven
Well i just bought a honda 450r 2008 SE. Pick it up monday along with an HRC kit. I have alot of friends with them and after riding them i was set on getting one.

Anyways there question i have is, is the HRC kit for the 450r worth it? I think it was priced at $300 or so without labor. I am wondering should i wait a while to get it? or should i install it before i break it in.

Also is the power gain noticable? I though i read somewhere its 5-8 hp gain so i guess what im getting at is the power actually there and is it worth the buck.

Oh yea for anyone planning on trolling and flaming, i have read some other forums and magazines but i figured i'd come to a place where people ride them and ask for their opinions and EXPERIENCES.

Thanks

The power is unbeleivable......the one we own smokes piped yfz's suzuki's and other bikes...they are pretty amazing...except this one is 05 450r... and im not sure if it is faster or not....the 07 that i raced i smoked on the 05 but im also 40lbs lighter and the 07 was still running stock tires....so im not sure but yeah your going to notice a huge difference

Coolidge
07-18-2007, 06:16 PM
Q: HRC kit, Worth it?
A: Hell Yeah!