PDA

View Full Version : electrical problem?

rooster300ex
07-07-2007, 09:05 PM
I just got my engine put back in my quad, and I finally get to the point where I'm needing to turn it over to get oil in the oil lines before I fire it up, but it won't do anything. I've checked fuse, made sure all the elec. connections are plugged in. The battery is bad but I have a charger on it so it should click or do somethng. I tired turning it over with the silonoid. Just sparked alil but did nothing. What is goin on?

wilkin250r
07-08-2007, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by rooster300ex
The battery is bad but I have a charger on it so it should click or do somethng.

I'm not sure what you are saying here. It sounds your battery is bad, but you still expect it to start because the charger is on it?

The charger doesn't have the power to start your quad.

However, with a pair of jumper cables, you CAN jumpstart your quad with a car battery. Don't worry, it's safe, they are both 12V.

If that doesn't work, you either have a solenoid problem or a starter-motor problem.

rooster300ex
07-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I'm not sure what you are saying here. It sounds your battery is bad, but you still expect it to start because the charger is on it?

The charger doesn't have the power to start your quad.

However, with a pair of jumper cables, you CAN jumpstart your quad with a car battery. Don't worry, it's safe, they are both 12V.

If that doesn't work, you either have a solenoid problem or a starter-motor problem.

Don't you think it would click or try to do something. With the charger on it for awhile.

rooster300ex
07-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Update it does turn over if I short the silonoid out. Could it be the start button? It is old and wore out. I've already had to take the wires for the lights out to make a new switch. What is the best way to fix while I have a new switch ordered?

rooster300ex
07-08-2007, 10:16 PM
I cut the starter button wires and stuck em together and still nothing. but if i hit the silonoid it will turn over.

xxnightraven73x
07-09-2007, 06:11 PM
the solonoid is junk from the sounds of it if it works when you cross the terminals then you need a new one you can use a circuit tester just the see if you get power back to it when you hit the button which i think you are if you tap on it while holding the start button you may get it to turn over too