PDA

View Full Version : Who likes their LTZ 400?

lotlizzard
07-07-2007, 08:55 PM
I am looking at buying an Ltz 400. I have never owned a Suziki before and never heard much about them. Help me out what type of riding do you do with yours? Have you had any problems or had to replace any thing because it broke? How does it compare to a 400 EX? How is the power and handling on these quads? please tell me everything you know.

honda6490
07-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Just sold my 440ex, got a bone stock z400. Blows the doors off the honda, like not even close, and smokes other stock 400ex's even better. After I get my alba pipe back from my friend and jet it I will be almost even with my friends bone stock yfz 450. They dont break, get one.

drzoo2
07-08-2007, 11:26 AM
About the only issue I have with them is the chain adjuster. Great bike otherwise. Responds very well to modding.
z

07250ex
07-08-2007, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by honda6490
Just sold my 440ex, got a bone stock z400. Blows the doors off the honda, no a stock z isnt faster then a 440ex

After I get my alba pipe back from my friend and jet it I will be almost even with my friends bone stock yfz 450. no u wont u'll still be far away hp wise rider skill might make up for it power to power no u wont

They dont break, get one.
everything breaks .. suzuki's known not to be very reliable especially the z400 and ltr

mx1791
07-08-2007, 05:18 PM
i liked my z. besides being tippy, and bolts always coming loose, and my pipe falling off twice.. but i didnt take care of the quad at all so it was my fualt. i always rode the local sand pit (every day, all day) with it and before i sold it i started going to the track with it, and like i said i never took care of it. didnt change the oil, didnt tighten or lube the chain, although i did clean the air filter.. and the quad NEVER broke down on me. if thats not reliable idk what is..

(before anyone says anything, i do take super good care of the honda..)

05Z400rdr
07-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by 07250ex
everything breaks .. suzuki's known not to be very reliable especially the z400 and ltr

oh yeah :huh :rolleyes:

maybe for you, if you dont take care of it then what do you expect?

i loved my z!! i have to say it is my ALL TIME "all-around" favorite quad! It was very fun and very reliable for me, but i took very good care of it too. The only reason i sold it was to get my ltr because i wanted to get into mx and racing more..

i would highly suggest the z! like drzoo2 said, the only problem i had with mine was the chain adjuster bolt broke on mine twice...but that is a cheap and easy fix if it would happen to you.

Landon

redgreen_parker
07-08-2007, 07:49 PM
i bought a z this year. it wont quite keep up with my friends 450's and it shouldn't, but it'll beat about any 400ex as long as it's still a 400. i do mainly woods riding, but hit just about everything once in a while. absolutely love the quad though. i havent had a single problem with mine and i ride alot, so i'd say they're a good choice.

Pipeless416
07-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by lotlizzard
I am looking at buying an Ltz 400. I have never owned a Suziki before and never heard much about them. Help me out what type of riding do you do with yours? Have you had any problems or had to replace any thing because it broke? How does it compare to a 400 EX? How is the power and handling on these quads? please tell me everything you know.

my dad just got an 04 z and he gave his 400ex to my brother. comparing the two.. its kinda easy and hard at the same time. i love the ex's handling compared to the z. the ex feels much lower and more stable. powerwise is where the major difference is. the ex feels very raw compared to the z, which feels much more refined and smooth. the ex hits much harder on the low end, but the z screams pretty good on the mid-top end of the rpm range. my dads came with a full big gun evo x limited edition, so i dont really know what a bone stock z feels like, but it rips pretty good. we have never actually raced yet, and i think it'll be even until we start getting in the higher gears. i would also much rather wrench on an ex.

honda6490
07-09-2007, 08:56 AM
no a stock z isnt faster then a 440ex

no u wont u'll still be far away hp wise rider skill might make up for it power to power no u wont

why do you talk **** about quads that blow the doors off what your running in all aspects of the machine (quality, speed, accel, durability).

Dont listen to this guy apparently he doesnt know too much about quads, the 440 was a pos like I said thats why the z smoked it.

Get a z400 There awsome and no they dont break m*******

Yea I will say the chain ajuster sucks, I have the rearmost bold on the right near the brake rotor is like stuck in there but its loose so ill have to do something with that before I snap the head off, anyone know why they do that just cause there dry or what.

drzoo2
07-09-2007, 10:35 AM
why do you talk **** about quads that blow the doors off what your running in all aspects of the machine (quality, speed, accel, durability).

Dont listen to this guy apparently he doesnt know too much about quads, the 440 was a pos like I said thats why the z smoked it.

Yea I will say the chain ajuster sucks, I have the rearmost bold on the right near the brake rotor is like stuck in there but its loose so ill have to do something with that before I snap the head off, anyone know why they do that just cause there dry or what.

I had the same problem and ended up cutting the head off the bolts. Two of them at the same time. This is my only real problem with the Z. The carrier design. Since I fixed it I now use a torque wrench when I adjust my chain.

I also noticed that if the bolts aren't torqued I can here squeaking from the carrier moving in the swinger. I have an extended axle so that doesn't help matters. The next time it breaks I'm going with better hardware. I fixed it with stock bolts and a new bolt plate. Next time I'll weld nuts to the old plate and get some high grade bolts and nuts.

I wanted to chime in on the reliability aspect. While the carrier design is a weak point everything else is pretty solid if you have an 04 and up. The 03's had frame issues but they're fixed. The Z's are also known for cupping valves. Not a real big issue. I think suzi should address it but upgraded valves and springs are a must if you buiding almost any motor. Specially if your over reving.

It's a good motor that responds well to mods. Comparing a tried and true bike like the ex, I would expect the EX to be a bit more reliable. It's using tried and true tech thats been around for a long time. The EX is far from revolutionary though.
z

07250ex
07-09-2007, 11:22 AM

just because the bikes are faster then mine doesn't mean i can't point outs whats wrong with them and u say blow the doors off i dragged my buddies z i had him on the start and he was 2 lengths ahead by the end of the drag so what does that say

drzoo2
07-09-2007, 01:47 PM
just because the bikes are faster then mine doesn't mean i can't point outs whats wrong with them and u say blow the doors off i dragged my buddies z i had him on the start and he was 2 lengths ahead by the end of the drag so what does that say

It says your a better rider, he sucks, or there is something wrong with his bike.

I'm with you on a few things, but dude you gotta use punctuation.

Pipeless416
07-09-2007, 03:14 PM

engines are only as reliable as their builders. a properly built 440ex will run away from a piped z. dont bash all of them just because yours wasnt built right. :rolleyes:

ltz440rider
07-09-2007, 05:19 PM
My z with a 440 kit and an alba exaust k&n filter and dynatech cdi smokes a 400ex piped n jetted by a mile . it also is just a hair slower then a 450r with hmf pipe and hot cam I love my z

JDRider
07-09-2007, 09:23 PM
Without all this "mine is faster" "this is faster" ect.

Back to the original question.

Personally, I had a 2003 z400. I lived to ride this quad. I did the mild upgrades, exhaust, air filter, intake cam, ect. I took this quad to Texas, Colorado, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, and Missouri.

I did trail riding, sand riding, motocross, mountains, woods.

I raced Cross country in northern Illinois, took home many trophies and a district championship.

I owned for 4 years, then sold it and got a TRX450er. I was very plesed with the handling and all out power of the Honda. Then I moved to a area that is more woods riding than anything else.

I just sold the Honda and bought a KFX400. (same as the Suzuki, just green).

My point is, where you will ride is a very important issue here.

I did have the frame issues, the cam chain issue, and the cupped intake valves problem. The frame issue has been solved by the factory now.

I just find the Z400 to be a very adaptable quad to fit most of your needs.

Good luck, JDRider

z40021
07-09-2007, 10:49 PM
I love my Z. It is a very good all around quad. Pluse if you are mainly looking at 400 the Z is the only one to get. Look at all the people that have sold their 400ex's for z's! A stock Z will beat a 400ex with even drivers, it has reverse, and it is liquid cooled not air like the 400ex!!
No doubt the Z is a great quad!!!

TRFOXX
07-10-2007, 07:13 AM
I have both and like them about the same. The 400ex dose feel a little better in the handleing dept. not as tippy as the Z400.

bigH
07-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Z 400s are nice bike i have one in my garage but i prefer the 400ex cause of the handling......the Z 400 is faster then the 400ex in stock form but not like that one guy is saying the z 400 is about the same as a 400ex piped. the guy saying his piped z will hang with a yfz 450 bone stock....thats not true theres a piped yoshiruma z 400 where we ride that gets raped by my buddies stock yfz....maybe with the right piston it would but not off of stock bore....but yeah id say buy the z like i said i have both 400's in my garage and i like both. PS the kawi looks alot better if you ask me haha same bike but i love the black hood and orange color kfx....haha my buddy has one and its a really nice bike TO BAD I CAN SMOKE YOUR BIKE ERIC hehehehehehe even with the 70 lol

bigH
07-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Just sold my 440ex, got a bone stock z400. Blows the doors off the honda, like not even close, and smokes other stock 400ex's even better. After I get my alba pipe back from my friend and jet it I will be almost even with my friends bone stock yfz 450. They dont break, get one.

i know 440ex's are turds the 416 or 426 are wayyyyy faster but damn the stock z kicked its ***......what 440 kit was it???????

bigH
07-10-2007, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by TRFOXX
I have both and like them about the same. The 400ex dose feel a little better in the handleing dept. not as tippy as the Z400.

same the honda handles better....the ex in my garage smokes the z 400 but the z still is pretty fast....the z 400 smokes the 250ex though not only two lengths like that one guy said or w.e unless there was a ****ty rider on the z.....because i use two ride a 250ex a 2006 and im almost positive my buddie's KFX would flat out destroy it by more the two lengths.

1992 Trx 250x
07-15-2007, 03:56 PM
i like mine. its a little tippy, and the bolt broke off my carrier also. was an easy fix. the chain adjustment is annoying like others have said. and one of my fuses blew when i was at the dunes. its an 03 so it has the bugs. everything else is amazing! i would go with a z. actually just save and get a kfx 450...

JGlaze
07-15-2007, 08:57 PM
For recreational/aggressive trail riding you cant beat it. You can find great deals on used ones as well so you could be riding for about 2-3 grand.

Villageidiott83
07-18-2007, 11:07 AM
im sure by now the guy who originally started this thread with his question by now is like holy ****. thats the last time i ask anything on this site.......

blueyeace1
07-18-2007, 06:31 PM
For the value and the money i bought the z400 !
Im not sorry that i got the z400 instead of the 400ex !
:blah:

Bender
07-18-2007, 08:27 PM
Well I just got an 07 z400 and I like it alot, I also have an 05 400EX. I thought the Z would be so much better than the EX, just because of the technoloy advantage, but really honestly it isn't.
Yes the Z is faster wide open than the EX, but it isn't that much quicker accelerating on bottom and mid. In the woods I feel the EX is a bit better(but I have had much more experiane on a EX and an R) handling. Although the ride is much more pleasant and forgiving on the Z.
I like the Z alot and I'm glad I bought it, but really the 400 EX and Z400 are very, very close at doing the same thing in the woods. Maybe in wide open areas the Z400 would have the advantage with the exta top end and higher reving over the 400EX.
Both are high quality, I was pleasantly surprized by the level of quality after owning many Honda's in my day, that the Suzuki has now. For the money I think the Z400 is a better deal, but you really couldn't go wrong with either of them.

tar
07-18-2007, 09:53 PM
Don't be too shure about the frame issue!! If you like to jump a lot you may want to invest in a gusset kit. A buddy of mine bent his pretty bad at the dunes a couple weeks ago.

LTZ400_91
07-31-2007, 06:35 PM
Highly recommend it. They are so reliable.

kawi400
08-03-2007, 06:45 PM

your 250 was never in front the z kills the 250ex in any aspect including reverse. Hell my little sister will beat your as on her rm 65. :D :macho