PDA

View Full Version : dirtbike question

Ruby Soho
07-07-2007, 07:57 PM
my friend has a ktm65sx and we have to fix a leak. but neither of us know what kind of oil to put in it when we fill it back up.. anyone got anything they could tell me?

Old Dirtbiker
07-07-2007, 08:45 PM
Now I'm no expert.

If your talking the lower end case engine oil. I think you would be fine using regular 4-stroke Motorcycle oil sold at Walmart.
I prefer the Castrol 4-stroke engine oil.

I suspect that if we're talking about the lower engine case, you will use just a touch more than 1/2 a quart.

You may get alot of opinions on this subject and I hope you.

I don't mind being corrected and I'm sure that this is not what KTM would suggest using, I'm just saying that I would feel comfortable using the Castrol since it will get your buddy back on track and should not cause any harm.
You DON'T want to use regular automotive engine oil so what ever you do, don't go down that road.
Good Luck

ZeroLogic
07-07-2007, 08:57 PM
KTM says to use 20W30 gear oil.:)

I wouldn't use four stroke engine oil.

Old Dirtbiker
07-07-2007, 09:00 PM
Now I'm no expert.

If your talking the lower end case engine oil. I think you would be fine using regular 4-stroke Motorcycle oil sold at Walmart.
I prefer the Castrol 4-stroke engine oil.

I suspect that if we're talking about the lower engine case, you will use just a touch more than 1/2 a quart.

You may get alot of opinions on this subject and I hope you.

I don't mind being corrected and I'm sure that this is not what KTM would suggest using, I'm just saying that I would feel comfortable using the Castrol since it will get your buddy back on track and should not cause any harm.
You DON'T want to use regular automotive engine oil so what ever you do, don't go down that road.
Good Luck