PDA

View Full Version : trans messed up in my new truck

TCracin440ex
07-07-2007, 04:11 PM
well i dont know why i was driving down the highway, and all of a sudden i lost all power....the transmission was slipping....so i coast to the store and turn the truck off and go get some tranny fluid i figured thats what it was....well i go back out and start the truck up and it moves just fine....well i proceed to get back on the highway and it does it again....then the message center says trans fluid hot....i dont know what caused the transmission to over heat...i was not towing, i was not romping on it i was just driving....well i get it home and the message center says transmission hot...idol engine..(im guessing to keep the fluid circulating and get it cooled a lil faster) well i let it run for a lil while then i turned the truck off and went on in the house and let it cool off on its own....i come back outside and crank it up and put it in reverse it does just fine...i backed it up and drove it foward a few feet.....well i washed the truck and waxed it so i could go out...i go to crank the truck up and theres this horrible whining comming from the transmission...sounds somewhat like a pump stopped up...it wont go foward or backwards...it will creep slowly backwards and slowly fowards but the trans is slipping...im wondering what ive done

DOHC
07-07-2007, 05:58 PM
When my dads transmission went it wasnt like that it just let go and wouldnt move at all. What kind of truck do u have?

TCracin440ex
07-07-2007, 06:10 PM
2000 chevy silverado 1500 5.3 ltr

http://a265.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/15/l_d5db410ac2deb2f86c96529740ca55e8.jpg

07250ex
07-07-2007, 06:12 PM
take it to a shop have em look at the clutch see what kind condition it and the drive train are in

Ron89
07-07-2007, 06:44 PM
We had torque converters go out on 2 of our cars and they had similar symptoms. Tons of slippage and eventually they didn't move.

Which 450?
07-07-2007, 06:52 PM
well you say you added fluid and it started working? Did you have a leak? did you ever check the fluid? do you know how to check the fluid? If I was you I would pull the trans oil pan off and check the filter for garbage, even though you are gonna need to have it rebuilt/replaced anyway. Even if it was the TC, its done thrown garbage all through the system and will eventually take the tranny out too.

TCracin440ex
07-08-2007, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Which 450?
well you say you added fluid and it started working? Did you have a leak? did you ever check the fluid? do you know how to check the fluid? If I was you I would pull the trans oil pan off and check the filter for garbage, even though you are gonna need to have it rebuilt/replaced anyway. Even if it was the TC, its done thrown garbage all through the system and will eventually take the tranny out too.

i didnt add any more fluid to it..i kinda leaped before i looked and went in the store and bought some....yea i do need to pull the pan tho...

TCracin440ex
07-08-2007, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Ron89
We had torque converters go out on 2 of our cars and they had similar symptoms. Tons of slippage and eventually they didn't move.

did yall have to replace the whole trans or just the torque converter??

Which 450?
07-08-2007, 09:50 AM
when a trans goes, it lets metal go all through the system, you will need to pull the tranny and TC, flush out the trans cooler and lines, and AT LEAST go through the transmission and clean all of the parts, this means, completely taking it apart, cleaning it, and going back together.

Hornbreaker
07-08-2007, 10:40 AM
If you want to try something a little different drop your pan put a new filter in and then refill your tranny. I've done this a few times with different Blazers and it worked for a few months. Like a few winter months. The tranny will have to be rebuilt sooner or later, but for now if you don't have the cash, try this. It's only a few bucks, good luck.

Stevie-D
07-08-2007, 07:50 PM
get er rebuilt. and stick some better parts in there. find a good tranny shop to build you a tranny that can hold up to the bigger tires.

i'm on my 5th tranny in my jacked up dodge, yet i've only had to pay for one of them:macho so yes, i speak from experience

TCracin440ex
07-09-2007, 06:53 PM
i believe i found the trans for my truck it is 1500 dollars but they are gonna garentee it will hold up to whatever i can throw at it...